• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Maxwell - the modern day Afridi?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No 2 batsman can get me so excited(when they're playing well) yet leave me so disappointed. We expect them to get themselves out every single ball of their innings. It's like every ball they do survive is a bonus, rarely do/did either feel like they're here to stay at the crease. But of course when it comes off it's great to watch, I'm just always surprised when it actually does.

So who do you rate more as a batsman?

slippy888

International Captain
I think Australia should let Maxwell open batting in one day and 20 20 to give him license to play shots

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You guys are forgetting that Afridi was seriously good for a period in the late 90s and early 2000s. Granted it didn't last long, but jury's still out and Maxwell's might end up being the same too. Afridi's 140 odd in Chennai during that ​test in Chennai in 1999 was one of the better test match 100s I have ever seen.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Maxwell's average might be better but Afridi has played the bigger knocks in more important circumstances.

91Jmay

International Coach
As batsmen they are close. Considering Afridi was a galaxy better as a bowler he is clearly the superior player.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How is it fair to compare the two when it comes to achievements and milestones. Afridi's played 500 matches over a 20 year career while Maxwell is only a 100 games old.

91Jmay

International Coach
Maxwell is drastically overrated on here. He is the posterboy for the totally incorrect theory that a natural striker of the ball just needs to reign it in and he is an ATG which is patently nonsense.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Maxwell's had one WC and was remarkably consistent and destructive during it, hit 320 runs, averaged 64 and striked at nearly 200

he has not reached those heights before or after so its unfair to use that his benchmark. But still, Afridi's WC batting record doesnt come close