• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Wood vs Anrich Nortje

Better test bowler?

• Mark Wood

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Anrich Nortje

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters

Gob

International Coach
Wood

wood.jpg

Nortje

nortje.jpg

Two fastest bowlers in the world. Wood's overall average is worse but its 24 away from home.

Who would you pick/better?

Tom Flint

International Regular
Nortje is better but wood even tho his average is likely to be high is a good bowler for us. Will always be a touch expensive but gives his all. Can see his in pain when he's bowling but carries on regardless. 2 world cups at least and hopefully can take 200 test wickets at early 30s and he should be happy with his career given his struggles

Gob

International Coach
Nortje is better but wood even tho his average is likely to be high is a good bowler for us. Will always be a touch expensive but gives his all. Can see his in pain when he's bowling but carries on regardless. 2 world cups at least and hopefully can take 200 test wickets at early 30s and he should be happy with his career given his struggles
As I said, he is averaging 24 away from home but 40 in England.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Wood has a good captain now who'll manage him well. Unlike Nortje who will burn out sooner than later, especially with an inconsistent Rabada for partner.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Right now it's really close. I'd maybe take Wood by a fraction. But it took him years to get good. Nortje is already pretty great much earlier in his Test career. Likely he'll do better than Wood overall unless injuries prevent it.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
It's all about fitness for these pair.

There's not alot to choose between them but you always fear for Wood with injuries as he has to put everything into every ball to bowl at 90mph.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Jesus, a non-ironic poll. Dont see alot of those around here these days! Tough one to call this

Genuinely tough to separate them. Anrich's action is cleaner, more repeatable and probably less strenuous on the body. A big factor in the merits of a quick imo

But, skill wise I think Wood is a little better. Anrich probably bowls better areas more consistently, but think Wood is a slightly more versatile bowler.

A knats hair between them. Both thrilling and genuinely hostile bowlers to watch

Reactions: Gob

Stefan9

International Debutant
Wood has a good captain now who'll manage him well. Unlike Nortje who will burn out sooner than later, especially with an inconsistent Rabada for partner.
The cause of burning out is way more likely to be caused by a poor batting lineup then kg having the odd off day(even on most of his off days he still finds wickets).

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Nortje is probably the better bowler all-round, but Wood is such a great competitor and guy. One of my favourite bowlers to watch bat too. Such a clean hitter when he middles it.

He is the Bizarro Woakes. Much as I never want to see Woakes bowl outside of an English greentop, I never want to see Wood bowl on one.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Nortje is potentially more of a handful because he’s a bit taller and seems to get a bit more bounce than Wood. Neither especially enjoyable to face though

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
On his pronunciation, is it Nort-ja or Nor-kia? Have heard contrasting opinions. Haven't watched much of the test and am intrigued

Still going with Anrich atm

ashley bach

International Captain
Great comparison, huge amount of respect for both these guys because they give their guts every ball they bowl.
Hard to pick a winner here, going with Nortje for now but plenty of time for this to change over the next couple of years.