• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marc/Richard dispute thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You see, for me that would have meant Bradford City\Leeds United (the difference to the grounds and cities from my home of Wakefield is literally negligable) then Newcastle, then City.
I have some affection for Newcastle and City, but Leeds were always the "we love to hate" club of the time and I've never forgiven Bradford for sending Wimbedon down...
I had stuff engrained onto me, see? I knew what to support Man U was practically before I knew what football was. And I don't give a damn what any glory-hunter-bashers say, I have valid reason and no-one will take it away from me.:P :!(

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A typo that seemed to change something into something completely different!:duh:
Proof you should always proof-read!
Still, corrected now, so no-one else will fall prey.:alien8:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wakefield & Emley FC scrubbed from the pages of history are they?

If Utd were a third division side, would you have started supporting them?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Rik said:
I allways was told you should support the team you lived nearest to when you grew up
I don't think so. Sometimes you find a team that you really like - not perhaps just because they are successful, or you live right next to it, but because of something you like about it.

Example: My two favourite teams in the Norwegian league: Bodø/Glimt, from a town 600 miles north of where I live (my grandpa comes from there) and Odd Grenland, mainly due to the team name. Stabæk, OTOH, whose ground is 15 minutes with bike from my house, I am starting to hate with a passion (mainly because their history is like Fulham's)

Neither of which have been particularly successful. However, people have different reasons for supporting football teams - and it might not just be that they are the best or live next to you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Wakefield & Emley FC scrubbed from the pages of history are they?

If Utd were a third division side, would you have started supporting them?
I don't think I knew what non-League football and teams were then.
I don't know but I think I probably would have. Like I say, it was engrained into me "Man Utd" before I even knew what football really was.
Ask my Dad sometime if you don't believe me.
Like I also say, you can't say anything about "what ifs" because the consequenses of our actions are so diverse, predicting what would have been the past is an impossible task.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
I don't think I knew what non-League football and teams were then.
I don't know but I think I probably would have. Like I say, it was engrained into me "Man Utd" before I even knew what football really was.
Ask my Dad sometime if you don't believe me.
Like I also say, you can't say anything about "what ifs" because the consequenses of our actions are so diverse, predicting what would have been the past is an impossible task.
The clever ones un-engrain themselves after realising they realise all they are, are glory-hunters ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The first season I followed fully was 94\5.
Man U's best season of those I've seen but totally unsuccesful. Still, I held on hoping, and enjoyed 95\6 and 98\9 as much as anyone living in Manchester.
I am no glory-seeker. Ask Neil when he's asked my Dad.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Let's put it like this: Man Utd would have around the same fan base as Stockport and vice versa if the league positions, squads, stadia and structures swapped.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
The first season I followed fully was 94\5.
Man U's best season of those I've seen but totally unsuccesful. Still, I held on hoping.
One day, Man Utd fans will realise what totally unsuccessful is. FA Cup Runners-Up (that was funny) and Second in the Prem (West Ham.. ouch) is NOT totally unsuccessful!

Look at Carlisle, or Northwich, or any of the sides that have lost League Status of late - or Wimbledon (biggest travesty in football history).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Totally unsuccesful by our standards.
I loved the Jimmy Glass incident as I've always had a soft spot for Carlisle.

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Let's put it like this: Man Utd would have around the same fan base as Stockport and vice versa if the league positions, squads, stadia and structures swapped.
kind of goes without saying, big team, big fan base, they kind of go hand in hand. If they didn't have a big fan base then they wouldn't be able to be big.
The fact is what no-one realises is that the success of man utd didn't come over night and wasn't pot luck, you cannot blame the club for their success. Back in 1948 we very nearly weren't a club. However twisted and bitter people don't like to realise this, they prefer to moan with the masses.:D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Totally unsuccesful by our standards.
I loved the Jimmy Glass incident as I've always had a soft spot for Carlisle.
I still can't believe anyone could claim to "hold on hoping" after two second places in a season.

Valid as your point is, that makes no different to the thronging masses of glory supporters swarming around in Man Utd shirts (and Arsenal, and Liverpool, especially during that "treble" season - never have I seen a team play so badly and win so much!)

Can Carlisle do the impossible again?

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
I still can't believe anyone could claim to "hold on hoping" after two second places in a season.

Valid as your point is, that makes no different to the thronging masses of glory supporters swarming around in Man Utd shirts (and Arsenal, and Liverpool, especially during that "treble" season - never have I seen a team play so badly and win so much!)

Can Carlisle do the impossible again?
But you can't possibly tell me you didn't feel a slight pang of happiness when solskjaer got that goal, seeing the reactions on the bayern defenders, ooooh poetry in motion.:D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
twctopcat said:
But you can't possibly tell me you didn't feel a slight pang of happiness when solskjaer got that goal, seeing the reactions on the bayern defenders, ooooh poetry in motion.:D
You really ought to get a career in politics, once again nothing to do wi't'point at hand!

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
You really ought to get a career in politics, once again nothing to do wi't'point at hand!
Haha, first time i heard that, but if it makes you happy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.