• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankads

Do you think mankads are against the spirit of the game?

• Yes

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 84.3%

• Total voters

Days of Grace

International Captain
Why not just make it known that the non striker has received an official warning, similar to an umpire giving a warning to a bowler running on the pitch?
The bowler can request that the warning be given. From that point, the possibility of mankading is open and everyone will be aware of it.

Until that point it shouldn’t be an option.

Aritro

International Regular
In almost 300 games I was never 'Mankaded' or even threatened/warned, But then that possibly explains why I was run out so frequently. I never backed up enough.
A young chap on my U/12s team Mankaded someone and got an absolute red-faced bollocking from our coach, who was also the umpire, for doing so which ended with him addressing all eleven fielders on our team and declaring, "And I never want to see any of you doing that again." He gave it not out.

I've never been run out like that myself, which is just as well because I'm usually halfway down the pitch by the time the ball has hit the bat to try and compensate for being a slow, unathletic ****.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why not just make it known that the non striker has received an official warning, similar to an umpire giving a warning to a bowler running on the pitch?
The bowler can request that the warning be given. From that point, the possibility of mankading is open and everyone will be aware of it.

excellent idea IMO

Xix2565

International Debutant
The issue I have with warnings is that we literally never see it happen for any other form of dismissals, even flukey nonsensical **** like deflected catches, stumpings on off balance people, the ball rolling over to gently knock a bail off or stepping on the stumps. Like everyone knows that all of that can happen to get people out, but apparently getting out as a non-striker is a step too far. I would have more time for this if people weren't so hypocritical about what should get warnings and what shouldn't.

Shady Slim

International Coach

i still don't like it; i just don't get why the batter gets a freebie for this illegal thing?

i'd like a warning and do over every time i edge a short wide ball to the keeper

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah the reason no-one is talking about the laws is because no-one is arguing the umpire made the wrong decision lol.
it's good that everyone agrees that it's the right call

the Laws clearly say any attempt to steal a run is unfair. So clearly what the non striker is doing is against the Spirit of Cricket, and any action the bowler takes to counter that is just.

Chrish

International Debutant
The problem is she basically unequivocally stated they are "lying". Which i think is a bit rich for a person who was not there to say. And it does grate coz it's obvious there is more likely a chance the person on the field knew what went on better than someone who was not.
She is a captain and hence the voice of the team. I am sure she asked the player involved before making that comment. She doesn’t need to be on the field to make that remark.

ashley bach

International Captain
The issue I have with warnings is that we literally never see it happen for any other form of dismissals, even flukey nonsensical **** like deflected catches, stumpings on off balance people, the ball rolling over to gently knock a bail off or stepping on the stumps. Like everyone knows that all of that can happen to get people out, but apparently getting out as a non-striker is a step too far. I would have more time for this if people weren't so hypocritical about what should get warnings and what shouldn't.
That's because those other forms of dismissals are true forms of dismissal, so why would you hear about them in a warning.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Nah... unless we have warnings rolled out for every other form of dismissals.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
She is a captain and hence the voice of the team. I am sure she asked the player involved before making that comment. She doesn’t need to be on the field to make that remark.
Nah... when the player involved says the umpires were told, it is a pretty big assumption and literally zero grounds to accuse another team and player of "lying". Its irresponsible at best and actual lying on her part at worst.

ashley bach

International Captain
it's good that everyone agrees that it's the right call

the Laws clearly say any attempt to steal a run is unfair. So clearly what the non striker is doing is against the Spirit of Cricket, and any action the bowler takes to counter that is just.
So really we need to define the difference between backing up and stealing a whole lot better.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That's because those other forms of dismissals are true forms of dismissal, so why would you hear about them in a warning.

See what we are up against @SteveNZ

Its simple, mate. Stay inside the crease till the bowler lets go of the ball else face the risk of being ran out, as fair as any other part of the game. If they feel its against some unilateral spirt of the game they drew up in their head, they should justifiably be told to just shut up and suck it.

Xix2565

International Debutant
So it's a bull**** standard made up by idiots so that they can comfort themselves whenever they end up on the wrong side of a decision they absolutely dislike. Sorry but you don't get to decide what's a true form of dismissal and what isn't, the laws do and neither you nor anyone else have much of an argument to impose your feelings over how the game actually works just because you didn't like what happened.

ashley bach

International Captain
So it's a bull**** standard made up by idiots so that they can comfort themselves whenever they end up on the wrong side of a decision they absolutely dislike. Sorry but you don't get to decide what's a true form of dismissal and what isn't, the laws do and neither you nor anyone else have much of an argument to impose your feelings over how the game actually works just because you didn't like what happened.
Ok boss

Xix2565

International Debutant
Hilarious that people can't stop to think about what they're actually saying and avoid making dumb arguments.