• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankads

Do you think mankads are against the spirit of the game?

• Yes

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 84.3%

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's Ashwin for bringing it back to the mainstream after it laid dormant for decades. Cricket fans celebrated an era of peace and prosperity and the spirit of cricket flourished. All the while, Ashwin schemed.
Ashwin destroying cricket I knew it

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, look this whole thread and back-and-forth would go a lot better if people would think twice in terms of speaking in absolutes, insulting others and generally showing no interest in the viewpoint of the 'other side'. There's a lot of people with different opinions and different experiences of this issue, and not one of us is absolutely right or wrong.

Very compatible to modern day communication where most things occur in echo chambers and people think their side is right and anything that is to the contrary is ripe to be picked apart.

I asked (knowing I could open up a can of worms) whether there was a differing Indian context to this, and you were able to explain that there was. I learned something because of this,I never knew this dismissal was common place. And I see why the passion of India and cricket, and they are from my experience a very transparent people, would mean there's no grey area for Mankads.

Conversely, I wasbrought up in a system where it is a grey area. We were, and still are based on my social media timeline, taught that it is at best a very last resort, and at worst a terrible piece of sportsmanship. There's no right or wrong to either side- although I'm sure some Indian posters would point out its now law so why bother with spirit of cricket? I'm just saying how the two sides see it.

I do wonder why we haven't seen an Indian male do this in an international, and whether they'd be ok if it was done to them in a situation the same as the Dean dismissal. I only ask because I know how id react if they were NZ players and I wonder, seeing the reaction this week, whether it would be ok if the tables turned
When I said they, I meant the players there but yes, I think it is very fair to say that something written in the rules is actually how the game should be played, not some made up thing which contextually varies region to region. Its why we have the rules in the first place.

You do realize the arguments mr mr and ashley are making are exactly why people are grated by this issue. Its not a discussion, its an absolute refusal to accept that the game is played by many and each have their own definitions of subjective **** like the spirit of the game. We literally had ashley and mr mr call Deepti and Ashwin names here and yet you think its a couple of posters who defend this who are to blame. Says it all, really.

I stand by the fact that the criticism of the players and the spirit is nothing short of absolute drivel which has no place being entertained in a global forum. The rule says stay inside the crease, else you can be run out. When you are run out coz you are out of the crease, its only your fault. NO one else's. Anyone saying otherwise should be, justifiably, told to suck it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
"spirit of the game" (whatever that even means anyway) arguments are only ever invoked when someone has (completely within the rules) been humiliated and made to look like a total 3rd rate jobber

they're the last refuge of a loser desperate to regain some credibiilty having suffered considerable butthurt

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You do realize the arguments mr mr and ashley are making are exactly why people are grated by this issue. Its not a discussion, its an absolute refusal to accept that the game is played by many and each have their own definitions of subjective **** like the spirit of the game. We literally had ashley and mr mr call Deepti and Ashwin names here and yet you think its a couple of posters who defend this who are to blame. Says it all, really.
Yes, I do realise that. I realised that by engaging with your viewpoint. I don't agree with how they see it. And no, I don't think it's the defenders who are to blame. I think both sides could find a better way to hold a discussion.

"spirit of the game" (whatever that even means anyway) arguments are only ever invoked when someone has (completely within the rules) been humiliated and made to look like a total 3rd rate jobber

they're the last refuge of a loser desperate to regain some credibiilty having suffered considerable butthurt
Sigh. I give up. What does calling people losers and talking about butthurt achieve? Never mind someone like me who has no dog in the fight, who is trying to explain that we were raised on 'spirit of the game' and that's why no one I can recall, or very very few from outside the sub-continent have ever done it, although I am certain there has been ample opportunities to do so.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
look, I was being facetious in how I delivered it, but my point is basically that "it's not in the spirit of the game" is just another way of saying "someone beat me fair and square within the rules of the game and I don't like it because wah"

you literally never see spirt of the game arguments invoked in any other circumstance

srbhkshk

International Captain
Sigh. I give up. What does calling people losers and talking about butthurt achieve? Never mind someone like me who has no dog in the fight, who is trying to explain that we were raised on 'spirit of the game' and that's why no one I can recall, or very very few from outside the sub-continent have ever done it, although I am certain there has been ample opportunities to do so.
Actual # of Mankads done in ODIs / Tests / T20s before Deepti's -

Australia - 2
NZ - 2
India - 2
WI - 1
SL - 1
Oman - 1

I assume that the spirit of the game you are raised on is specifically about Mankad, because there are a ****load of dropped catches being claimed , poor faith run outs , not walking after edging going on with each team which are all *in the spirit* for some reason.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
look, I was being facetious in how I delivered it, but my point is basically that "it's not in the spirit of the game" is just another way of saying "someone beat me fair and square within the rules of the game and I don't like it because wah"

you literally never see spirt of the game arguments invoked in any other circumstance
Except this one, where myself and many others were not beaten, and as I previously said, had no dog in the fight.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Australia - 2
NZ - 2
India - 2
WI - 1
SL - 1
Oman - 1

I assume that the spirit of the game you are raised on is specifically about Mankad, because there are a ****load of dropped catches being claimed , poor faith run outs , not walking after edging going on with each team which are all *in the spirit* for some reason.
Where did you get those stats from? Genuinely interested in who those were affected by, when, where etc.

Claimed catches and poor faith run outs (see B.McCullum, 2006 v Sri Lanka) are certainly not in the spirit. They're to be scorned. Not sure how I feel about not walking, to be honest I feel like that's the umpire's job but that's only from many years of having that as acceptable practice. I didn't have a problem with Stuart Broad, nor did I particularly think Gilchrist was a hero for walking.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Where did you get those stats from? Genuinely interested in who those were affected by, when, where etc.

Claimed catches and poor faith run outs (see B.McCullum, 2006 v Sri Lanka) are certainly not in the spirit. They're to be scorned. Not sure how I feel about not walking, to be honest I feel like that's the umpire's job but that's only from many years of having that as acceptable practice. I didn't have a problem with Stuart Broad, nor did I particularly think Gilchrist was a hero for walking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mankading_incidents_in_cricket

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain

Australia - 2
NZ - 2
India - 2
WI - 1
SL - 1
Oman - 1

Precisely what I pointed out yesterday in another thread that everyone seems to conveniently forget that Kiwis have done this two times before in the past and one versus England themselves as an underarm mankad

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Precisely what I pointed out yesterday in another thread that everyone seems to conveniently forget that Kiwis have done this two times before in the past and one versus England themselves as an underarm mankad
The nationality of the mankader is not really relevant. In terms of my criticisms of it, anyway.