• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni is spectacular!

adharcric

International Coach
what a gem of an innings by dhoni at jaipur, smashing an unbeaten 183 to lead India to glory. i think its finally clear who the top 3 wicketkeepers in the world are:
1) Gilchrist 2) Sangakarra 3) Dhoni

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
adharcric said:
what a gem of an innings by dhoni at jaipur, smashing an unbeaten 183 to lead India to glory. i think its finally clear who the top 3 wicketkeepers in the world are:
How does making 180 runs show that you are a good keeper?

Shahid Afridi

School Boy/Girl Captain
^ Exactly.

I think u mite be trying to say, 1 of the best wicketkeepers who can make runs.

but then, ppl like moin khan and alec stewert made plenty of runs back in the day.

I believe dhoni is currently good due to his good form, but dont see him in the top5 wicketkeepers in the world. He hasent even played test match yet man !

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wrote a poem today. I'm now one of the 3 best bassists in the world.

And I'm SPECTACULAR!

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
adharcric said:
Enthusiasm good to see, if he does turn out to be a great player, then you can say those four satisfying words "I told you so" :D

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
it was a once in a lifetime innings. its unfortunate i didn't get to see it. But he has showed his class as a batsmen and is what India has been wanting for a long time; a wicket keeper that can bat. Hes a promising star for the 2007 world cup

Mr Mxyzptlk

archie mac said:
Enthusiasm good to see, if he does turn out to be a great player, then you can say those four satisfying words "I told you so" :D
Whether or not he turns out to be great, batting still has no effect on how good a wicketkeeper is.

Top_Cat

Whether or not he turns out to be great, batting still has no effect on how good a wicketkeeper is.
Literally that's true but in modern cricket, it sure affects whether you get a game or not. Would Dhoni be playing for India if he wasn't such a good hitter? Doubt it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Top_Cat said:
Literally that's true but in modern cricket, it sure affects whether you get a game or not. Would Dhoni be playing for India if he wasn't such a good hitter? Doubt it.
Man invents wheel..

archie mac

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He highlighted his batting, but then went on to say he was one of the 3 best keepers in the world so I assumed he thought he kept very well. :)

I know you should never *** u me :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
adharcric said:
Have a read of Neil's feature article lamenting the passing of the keeper, and you will realise the folly of your statement.

This all reminds me of the old Monty Python sketch when the man goes to see the vocational guidence councillor because he's fed up of being an accountant and wants to become a lion-tamer. When asked what qualifications he has, he replies "I've got a hat with 'Lion Tamer' written on it".

adharcric

International Coach
calm down guys, my bad in not saying it more clearly, i meant to say that dhoni is one of the 3 most talented wicketkeeper-batsmen (or wicketkeepers, batting-wise). also, dont think that i'm going crazy because of one performance, i know he has a long way to go but after what i saw today, i can see him becoming huge.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think adharcric meant that he was one of the 3 best wicketkeepers, but none the less it definitely was a mammoth knock. Tremendous, considering he also kept for 50 overs too in the hot sun.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
I don't think adharcric meant that he was one of the 3 best wicketkeepers, but none the less it definitely was a mammoth knock. Tremendous, considering he also kept for 50 overs too in the hot sun.
One swallow does not a summer make - I reserve judgement until he's pulled the gloves on in a test match.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Reserve judgment for what? I don't see what you have to judge him on? He's a good hitter, and when the ball is there to pound in ODIs he can do it. The thread starter himself said he mis-stated what he meant.

But hey, quote my posts if you like.

masterblaster

International Captain
It sure was an amazing knock. The main thing is for him to be producing consistently, it doesnt have to be big hundreds, but he needs to make sure he's of constant value to the side, which means improving his keeping as well.

But if he keeps producing gems like this, I won't be complaining! :D

adharcric

International Coach
Mike Hussey said:
He is a great talent but not an Adam Gilchrist JUST YET. How old is he? Early 20's?
yeah, clearly not a gilchrist yet. he has the talent though, but consistency and performance over a long span of time are different matters. he'll have to prove himself in the test arena as well to merit the kind of respect that gilchrist has earned today.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was a great knock guys but for heavens sake dont fall over board.

To compare him with Gilchrist is to show the worst kind of.........well all the things that I would like to say but wont for maintaining decorum :D