• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Macca Gone!

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
New Zealand all-rounder Craig McMillan is retiring from cricket for health and personal reasons.

McMillan, 31, said he wanted to end his career on a high after strong performances in the recent Twenty20 World Cup, when he was New Zealand's highest scorer.

"I have decided that the time is right for me to retire from cricket to spend more time with my family, as well as look after my health, as I have had ongoing issues related to diabetes," McMillan said in a statement.

New Zealand Cricket said it would release McMillan from his contract on compassionate grounds.

McMillan made his international debut in 1997 and is New Zealand's fourth highest one day international scorer with 4,707 runs in 197 matches at an average of 28.18. He also took 49 wickets at 35.04.

As recently as February he scored a century off 67 balls, the fastest one day century for a New Zealander.

He also played 55 Tests, the last in early 2005.

I for one thought Macca was a real entertainer. He will be missed (by me at least). Your views?

haroon510

International 12th Man
Great to see he's finishing on a high. Good luck to him.
couldn't have been said better..

i remember one of his odi innings against pakistan and pakistani attack of wasim, waqar, saqlain.. he scored handred in like 70 or so deliveries.. class player..

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seems awfully young to give it away, Hussey was only just establishing himself in the Oz team at his age & you're a long time retired, but he has to do what's best for him I guess.

Always thought he looked a more gifted player than his overall figures would suggest. Judging by his physique I've always imagined he possibly wasn't the world's most dedicated trainer, but I suppose one would have to factor his diabetes into that.

It does mean the coveted "biggest arse in cricket" is up for grabs now tho. Think Brett Lee might be the man to step up. :p

archie mac

International Coach
I can't believe he is only 31 he seems to have been around for ever:-O

Good fighter and always took it up to the Aussies, big loss:)

Julian87

State Captain
A sad day for myself.

Probably my favourite cricketer of the modern era. I just loved the way he played the game.

Good luck to the pug in his next stage of life.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Meh, total moron as a batsman, but the best player of spin I've seen from New Zealand. Opportunities for younger and fitter players now I guess, but his explosiveness has been invaluably lately.

Craig

World Traveller
Definate talent, one of the more talented Kiwi batsmen in the last decade, just never took advantage of it.

Anybody remember the catch he took in the 2nd ODI against India at Napier on the 02/03 Tour? That has to be one of the greatest outfield takes I've seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good to see him and Astle basically retiring at the same time. Even though McMillan is 5 years younger, the two's careers have always been inexorably linked (as well as them being brothers-in-law) and while it's a shame to lose both, a clean break always works best to me.

Shame we never saw Astle at two and McMillan three in ODIs more IMO, but there we go.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Mate, a good player no doubt especially when attacking. However, I had a chance to speak to an ex player who played first class cricket with him....I think it was for otago (not sure) but he said he has a poor attitude and personality and thought he was better than most others. I think from seen him playing as well, I never really appreciated his attitude. But, a class player non the less.

Flem274*

123/5
Good luck to him, was a fustrating player because of inconsistency, but he showed real grit to come back from the depths he was in and retire on a high. Class.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think he might be back. At 31 and considering the slight lack of up-and-coming talent in NZ he might be enticed back. Personal problems can always be resolved and a year away from the stress of international cricket may take care of these 'injury' woes.

Personally I have to admit that I respected him for his talent and determination but Gez he gave me the sh**s sometimes. Must be an Aus v NZ thing has he got up the noses of a few of the Australian cricketers as well. :)

pasag

RTDAS
Would have been a pretty big role model for people with diabetes and what you can accomplish even with the condition. Will miss him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Definitely an underachiever considering how good he looked when he first started playing in that series against Australia as an 18 year old, IIRC. Maybe one of those guys who had all the shots, but played all those shots "pretty well".