• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lokomotiv's Proposed Changes to Cricket

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Why are Cricket pants long?

As far as I know, all Cricket pants are long, unlike Football/Rugby shorts. Is there any reason? And is wearing shorts illegal in Cricket?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Instead of asking each question as it comes to you, I think you ought to write them all down and draw up a complete manifesto. Just remember to credit CW when you pitch it to the MCC.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
River Boys a bit light in the batting imo. They never play well when having to travel further than Yabbi Creek either.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Future threads could be...

- Why are cricket grounded shaped circular/ovallish?

- Why don't cricketers wear full bee protection gear in case a swarm of bees invades the field?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Easy-peasy: Bowlers like to rub the "ball" (round, hard, red/white object) in long patches on their pants, and using the crotch area would be uncomfortable.

Also, batsmen have to be weary of the above mentioned "ball", and while thigh pads and leg pads cover the area quite well, without pants, they would look like Indian freedom fighters from the 1930s-40s, hoping to escape the police lathi charges.

Thirdly, and this is primarily for subcontinental matches, the pants save the players from mosquito bites.

Of course, MCC's answer might differ, in which case I will apologize for this.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Because it is a gentlemen's game similar to tennis, which incidentally also started wearing long pants.
Having to wear pads though would have helped it to keep using the long pants where tennis thankfully gave it up. Tennis also for the most also gave up whites while test cricket maintained them.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
- Why don't cricketers wear full bee protection gear in case a swarm of bees invades the field?
This happened in a local game last year. The Umpires Association made a huge long story out of it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This happened in a local game last year. The Umpires Association made a huge long story out of it.
I thought he knew that and was sending up your story hence I liked his post. Even if he wasn't playing that card still a worthwhile effort.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I thought he knew that and was sending up your story hence I liked his post. Even if he wasn't playing that card still a worthwhile effort.
Ah yep, I do remember mentioning that story a while back now. Does Monk have that great a memory of completely trivial, throwaway posts though?