• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's play psychologist

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How is Watson mentally weak when considering all the injuries he used to suffer from while also comparing his career then to now?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson and Clarke suffer from the misconception that they're soft and mentally weak because they have blonde hair and hot girlfriends.

Couldn't be further from the truth. In particular with Clarke.

Spark

Global Moderator
Watson and Clarke suffer from the misconception that they're soft and mentally weak because they have blonde hair and hot girlfriends.

(y)

As much as it pains me to say it (because it involves my most depressing cricket moment), Broad falls into a similar category. Guy has a proven record in key situations.

vcs

Agree completely with Ankit about Sehwag. That's a very good mentality to have IMO, though it's not exactly your conventional Steve Waugh-esque mental toughness.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Such an armchair thread:laugh:

I will give a shot for Pakistani cricketers

Mentally Tough:
Imran
Miandad
Waqar
Inzi
Younis
Salim Malik (if he was not fixing)
Moin Khan

Mentally Weak:
Wasim
Kaneria
Gul
Salman Butt
Akmals
Mo Yo

Spark

Global Moderator
Kaneria weak? Would have thought it would have taken great mental strength to not have put something sharp and metallic through Kamran Akmal's head, all the catches he's dropped off his bowling :ph34r:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Kaneria weak? Would have thought it would have taken great mental strength to not have put something sharp and metallic through Kamran Akmal's head, all the catches he's dropped off his bowling :ph34r:
That means anyone who bowls for Pakistan is mentally strong then as he's still alive.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Brendon McCullum - a wonderful mix of nails and mental weakness. Played pretty much all his best Test knocks when under pressure, but when the going is easyish you can put money on that he'll find a way to **** it up.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Agree with Clarke, but think Watson's a bit flabby mentally at times. The whole "afraid of ghosts" thing in 2005 and consistently failing to convert 50s into 100s suggests a lingering fragility.

I'd say Allan Border must be close to the toughest cricketer mentally. Totally driven and demanded the same of his men. I always think the contrast to draw is with his contemporary cack-hander, Gower. The Englishman looked by far the more lavishly gifted player, yet Border averaged 50+ and Gower about 44.

Gus Fraser told a story where, as a tyro quick before his back injury reduced his pace, he induced Border to play and miss a couple of times when the great man played for Essex. Emboldened, Fraser asked Border if he'd like some help locating his off stump. Border didn't answer, instead responding by smacking the next two deliveries back over Fraser's head for sixes & then replied "I've been called a **** by faster and better men than you, son."

benchmark00

Brendon McCullum - a wonderful mix of nails and mental weakness. Played pretty much all his best Test knocks when under pressure, but when the going is easyish you can put money on that he'll find a way to **** it up.
Pretty much describes my plops career itbt.

Spark

Global Moderator
Agree with Clarke, but think Watson's a bit flabby mentally at times. The whole "afraid of ghosts" thing in 2005 and consistently failing to convert 50s into 100s suggests a lingering fragility.

I'd say Allan Border must be close to the toughest cricketer mentally. Totally driven and demanded the same of his men. I always think the contrast to draw is with his contemporary cack-hander, Gower. The Englishman looked by far the more lavishly gifted player, yet Border averaged 50+ and Gower about 44.

Gus Fraser told a story where, as a tyro quick before his back injury reduced his pace, he induced Border to play and miss a couple of times when the great man played for Essex. Emboldened, Fraser asked Border if he'd like some help locating his off stump. Border didn't answer, instead responding by smacking the next two deliveries back over Fraser's head for sixes & then replied "I've been called a **** by faster and better men than you, son."
That was pretty funny tbf

EDIT: And agreed with benchy below.

Last edited:

benchmark00

I think your point re: Watson failing to convert 50's to 100's is a good point. I think that's almost exclusively down to a lack of concentration, definitely a symptom of mental fragility.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Does Brett Lee strike anyone as a character with a "short attention span"? I never really got that impression but an Aussie I met on TMSofa definately thought so.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Serious question, who would people consider mentally stronger: a bloke who's prepared to give his wicket away slogging a few quick runs or the one who's set on not giving it away at any cost in any situation?

benchmark00

Serious question, who would people consider mentally stronger: a bloke who's prepared to give his wicket away slogging a few quick runs or the one who's set on not giving it away at any cost in any situation?
I think neither are examples of mental toughness, rather examples of differing levels of team orientation.

Daemon

Depends on the situation that the player chooses to do that I guess. If batting out 50 overs for a draw is required and if an aggressive player can't value his wicket then that says a lot about his mental toughness.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Vcs and whoever else things mental toughness is overrated in sports, it is incredible how far from the truth that is.

Sure some bs armchair psychology may be inaccurate and completely overstated at times, but dead set read some books on sports psychology. It is absolutely fascinating.

So surprised to see it come from a guy like vcs who watches so much tennis as well. Tennis and golf are two of the sports where what is happening above the shoulders is just as important as talent.

Completely agree with Benchy that at times in test cricket mental toughness is completely underrated as well. And I'm not just talking Border/Steve Waugh tough (although that is clearly a great example), there are plenty of situations of a player handling pressure well, or handling a game situation well, or being able to ignore external factors etc. by keeping the game simple. Blocking out what is outside.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's conscious choice Brumby. Wilting to pressure or succeeding in tough circumstances isn't a "conscious choice", its a result of an attribute of mental toughness or weak mentality.

What you're describing is a player specifically choosing to do something.