• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

thierry henry

International Coach
Mills was clearly our best non-Bond ODI seamer from about 2005-2013ish. He missed most of the 2007 and 2011 World Cups because of injury.

Howsie literally making up stories here

thierry henry

International Coach
Not true at all
?????

Clearly in 2002/3 he wasn’t part of the first choice team yet. 2015 we all know he wasn’t selected. There’s a full 12 years in between there and he missed the entire 2007 World Cup through injury and the latter stages of 2011 for the same reason. Was ruled out of the tournament on both occasions.

Howsie

International Captain
?????

Clearly in 2002/3 he wasn’t part of the first choice team yet. 2015 we all know he wasn’t selected. There’s a full 12 years in between there and he missed the entire 2007 World Cup through injury and the latter stages of 2011 for the same reason. Was ruled out of the tournament on both occasions.
I know about 2007. So effectively went to three world cups and was only good enough to get a game during one of them. That isn’t telling?

thierry henry

International Coach
I know about 2007. So effectively went to three world cups and was only good enough to get a game during one of them. That isn’t telling?
Clearly not. He was relegated to a fringe player for 2 World Cups 12 years apart at the two ends of his career. During a lengthy prime of a decade or so he would have been first choice for 2 World Cups but got injured. What is this supposed to be telling me?

thierry henry

International Coach
Biggest negative about Mills tbh is that he was so injury prone but somehow never really got a reputation for it. Jacob Oram was actually available more regularly than Mills but had a much worse reputation.

Howsie

International Captain
Clearly not. He was relegated to a fringe player for 2 World Cups 12 years apart at the two ends of his career. During a lengthy prime of a decade or so he would have been first choice for 2 World Cups but got injured. What is this supposed to be telling me?
Which was my initial point. Good ODI record but built it on playing meaningless ODI’s against more than likely not full strength XI’s. If he had as good as World Cup record as he does ODI record I would rate him higher.

Southee has a trash ODI record but at least he came to the party in two world cups.

thierry henry

International Coach
Which was my initial point. Good ODI record but built it on playing meaningless ODI’s against more than likely not full strength XI’s. If he had as good as World Cup record as he does ODI record I would rate him higher.

Southee has a trash ODI record but at least he came to the party in two world cups.
But his World Cup record is an average of 17. So your criticism is...he was injured and didn’t play.

Howsie

International Captain
But his World Cup record is an average of 17. So your criticism is...he was injured and didn’t play.
He played four games, that’s not even close to enough given he played 170 odd ODI’s. When it comes to ODI’s I place a big emphasis on guys needing strong world cups if they’re to be rated highly. Mills doesn’t have that hence why I don’t rate him highly.

Howsie

International Captain
So you don’t believe World Cup performances matter when it comes to rating ODI cricketers. That’s fine, I do. Agree to disagree

Howsie

International Captain
good to see you finally acknowledge the supremacy of grant elliott, 6 years on.
Don’t be an egg. Like I said earlier Tim Southee has a pretty sweet World Cup record but he’s a trash ODI bowler. You don’t see me eating him as a ATG or anything. I hold a guy like Amla to the same regard as I do Mills. He has a very good odi record but like Mills no World Cup record to speak of.