• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laxman -- Highly overrated!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I mean that it's an even more stupid theory than most of yours. Definitely worse than first-chance averages, but possibly not as bad as Vic Marks > Shane Warne.
Which is something I've quite clearly never stated; I've never said ODI-cricket in the 1970s and 1980s was comparable to the 1990s and 2000s. I have, however, said that it's comparable from the mid-90s to today.
And no-one has ever managed to come-up with anything sensical as to why first-chance averages are a bad idea.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
welll you are kinda right...

he never really impressed me that much when I have watched him
But I just can't believe you could say that you weren't impressed with some of these innings just because you haven't seen them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Laxman performs against Australia.

That's enough for me.
Why?
He's got to perform against more than 1 team to be a good player.
Fortunately, of course, he has.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chekmeout said:
But SJS you still think he deserves to be in the team over Yuvraj & Kaif?
How on Earth can anyone think Kaif deserves to play ahead of Laxman?!?!?!?! :eek:
There must be about 20 difference in their First-Class averages!

C_C

International Captain
Oh i dont want Laxman out of the team permanently-yet. I think he still should be in the playing XI on a long term basis....i just think that it will do Laxman and the IND team a whole lotta good if he is dropped for a series or two to ignite that fire in his belly....

The Indian team has done excellently with the wright-ganguly philosophy of maintaining the core ( Tendy,Dravid, Kumble,Harbhajan,laxman,Ganguly and Sehwag) but one drawback of that is that players can take their spot for granted....and over the last year or so, Laxman and Ganguly have really struggled.... they should be told in no uncertain terms that they cannot take their spot for granted.... ganguly should be put in a 'series to series' basis only and failing to improve, get dropped....laxman...maybe rested for the ZIM/SL series...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And no-one has ever managed to come-up with anything sensical as to why first-chance averages are a bad idea.
People have, but you refuse to acknowledge the clear flaws.

C_C

International Captain
Simply because posting first-chance averages and statistics for a newbie are irrelevant and idiotic- any statistical inference is dependent on the sample size...after a certain number, it is considered consistent and comparable...but for newbies, a dozen or two sample points in not enough to pass a verdict...kallis had a ****-poor start and there have been many who roared at the start and then not even a whimper...
i am sure if # of games and matches arnt relevant before making a statistical inference, then Andy Ganteume is the greatest darned batsman who's ever lived and even Bradman should be humbled with any comparisons to the great ganteume - he played one match batted one innings, scored a century and disappeared. 112 average, 100% conversion and 100% consistency rate....whoa!
8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
People have, but you refuse to acknowledge the clear flaws.
No, I acknowledge them, I simply say that they're nowhere near important enough to make it a bad idea.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Simply because posting first-chance averages and statistics for a newbie are irrelevant and idiotic- any statistical inference is dependent on the sample size...after a certain number, it is considered consistent and comparable...but for newbies, a dozen or two sample points in not enough to pass a verdict...kallis had a ****-poor start and there have been many who roared at the start and then not even a whimper...
i am sure if # of games and matches arnt relevant before making a statistical inference, then Andy Ganteume is the greatest darned batsman who's ever lived and even Bradman should be humbled with any comparisons to the great ganteume - he played one match batted one innings, scored a century and disappeared. 112 average, 100% conversion and 100% consistency rate....whoa!
8-)
And you think I apply first-chance averages over only 1 or 2 games?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
you will probably see that almost all of the Indian players get over rated at some time or the other during their careers. That is how Indian Cricket is.
Good point :)
I suppose it is more hype than rating. everyone does that I suppose.
Probably those who have fewer sporting icons and fwer sporting achievements do it more than others.

PS I suppose we could include the English too in that case :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Once again, Ridiculous stats. It proves nothing.How can you say for sure that Laxman deserved more chances ?? There were Azhar (avg 45+), Ganguly (avg 45+), Sachin (55+) Dravid (51+) so who do you think should have been dropped to accomodate Laxman and his 20 something average ?

Laxman has had more chances than any other player in India has in last 10 years, Infact using your stats a case for kaif's low average as well. He probably is going through the same thing Laxman went in the early part of his career.
.How can you say for sure that Laxman deserved more chances ??..Read again or get your vision tested.

Ask Kaif to open the innings and then talk. And anyone who thinks Kaif is as good a batsman as Laxman is excused for not knowing the meaning of the word 'ridiculous' !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
over the last year or so, Laxman and Ganguly have really struggled.... they should be told in no uncertain terms that they cannot take their spot for granted.... ganguly should be put in a 'series to series' basis only and failing to improve, get dropped
Surprise, surprise. surprise.

For once I am in agreement with you. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SJS, I was responding to the post over all,where you first mentioned that he has missed 30% of the test matches since his debut and then asked if he should have played more matches. And then you followed that statment up with some ridiculous stats which didnt really prove anything. I assumed that somehow you wanted to convey that Laxman didn't get enough chances and probably deserved more. If you didn't then I apologize for assuming too much.

Never said that Kaif is better than Laxman or Laxman should be dropped. I personally think very highly of Kaif. On pure talent he sure cant match Laxman but IMHO he makes up for it by his hard work and mentally much tougher than Laxman. And trust me Kaif will open if asked to.He is not a whiner, I have never heard him complain.

Now you can sit here all day and whine about Laxman not getting fair treatment from selectors/fans or not treated like stars, or his avg. is poor because he was made to open and blah blah blah, but at the end of the day Laxman has to perform to keep his place in the team. Couple of more poor series and I bet he will be out of the team.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
SJS, I was responding to the post over all,where you first mentioned that he has missed 30% of the test matches since his debut and then asked if he should have played more matches. And then you followed that statment up with some ridiculous stats which didnt really prove anything. I assumed that somehow you wanted to convey that Laxman didn't get enough chances and probably deserved more. If you didn't then I apologize for assuming too much.

Never said that Kaif is better than Laxman or Laxman should be dropped. I personally think very highly of Kaif. On pure talent he sure cant match Laxman but IMHO he makes up for it by his hard work and mentally much tougher than Laxman. And trust me Kaif will open if asked to.He is not a whiner, I have never heard him complain.

Now you can sit here all day and whine about Laxman not getting fair treatment from selectors/fans or not treated like stars, or his avg. is poor because he was made to open and blah blah blah, but at the end of the day Laxman has to perform to keep his place in the team. Couple of more poor series and I bet he will be out of the team.
And I have never said he should not be dropped.

I am only talking about two things

1. the claim that he is HIGHLY over rated
AND
2. That Kaif and Yuvraj are better batsmen than him (Mind you we are talking of better batsmen not form)

If you read my posts you will find one somewhere where i have said, i would not be surprised if he is dropped. In another I have said if we want to play five bowlers Laxman has to go.
Just because some part of the argument appears to you tpo be against ypour opinion doesnt mean you can read into other people's posts anything you want.

I have never even said he is a great player. In fact I have imphatically said that he is NOT one. I miantain he is a fantastic stroke player and no one can deny that. Every one agrees that he has not fufiled his potential. I am sure in his heart he knows that too.

It is also true that he has played some glorious innoings and that he is capable of playing really long innings as his record in both one day and FC shows.

He is also irritatingly inconssitent.

He also gets out to what I have repeatedly termed net-practice-mpode.

He is also going through a horrendous patch.

He has also averaged nearly 50 (49.something) since he refused to open.

All this and more has beeen said by me many a times. read back to confirm if you want

As you can see this has both his plus and minus points listed.

You cant just talk of his minus points and call him highly over rated (by you I dont mean specifically yourself) nor can you read in my posts only the positive things i say about him and use childish phrases like "whining about Laxman not getting a fair treatment".

First i dont whine and I am also not enamoured with either having the last word or insisting I am right.

If you read my posts you may find that I rarely take the extreme positions as moany here tend to do. Such as, so and so is rubbish or so and so is great.

I am aware that in most cases the truth is invariably somewhere in between.

When I interject, sometimes sarcastically, it is only when i find someone taking an extreme view as was done by whoso ever started this thread.

Finally, I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view nor should you expect me to agree with yours.

I discuss the game mostly to understand and for the love of the game. talking to people who i think are knowledgeable is always a pleasure even if they have a point of view different than mine because even then there is something to learn from them.

The problem is when people think it somehow shows them in poor light if they donyt keep on attacking those who disagree and worse still, use silly and childish phrases claiming themselves to be intellectually superior, technelogically more savvy than other etc etc. This just shows what they wish to get out of being on this board. And once that is clear, I do not debate with them anymore. they are free to think that it is because I am not able to counter their arguments but for me it has to be a discussion which is pleasurable to both. Anything short of that doesnt interst me.

Please remember this for the future.

Thanks for your patience at my verbosity :p

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
My views are pretty similar to SJS...
Basically as of tomorrows match I don't believe he should be playing and either Yuvraj/Kaif should be in.. As of later on lets see how things go...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
The problem is when people think it somehow shows them in poor light if they donyt keep on attacking those who disagree and worse still, use silly and childish phrases claiming themselves to be intellectually superior, technelogically more savvy than other etc etc. This just shows what they wish to get out of being on this board. And once that is clear, I do not debate with them anymore. they are free to think that it is because I am not able to counter their arguments but for me it has to be a discussion which is pleasurable to both. Anything short of that doesnt interst me.

Please remember this for the future.
I dont know when I attacked you personally or have tried to show my intellectual superiority over anyone. And I dont know if I can be called technologically savvy since I am still on Dial-ups and use an abacus-like laptop. In any case if you felt that I attacked you personally knowingly or unknowingly, then please accept my sincere apologies.

Last edited:

WestCoastMattie

Cricket Spectator
For what it's worth, VVS Laxman is a batsman that if he's playing against Australia, I'm torn between wanting him out cheaply and wanting to watch him bat against (in my unashamedly biased opinion) the world's greatest bowling attack at this time.

It's generally a mixture of the two during the course of a series, so I can't complain.

When he plays against any other team in the world, he can bat all day and it'd be a glorious thing :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I dont know when I attacked you personally or have tried to show my intellectual superiority over anyone. And I dont know if I can be called technologically savvy since I am still on Dial-ups and use an abacus-like laptop. In any case if you felt that I attacked you personally knowingly or unknowingly, then please accept my sincere apologies.
No Sanz, in this particular case, regarding "technologically superior" and "intellectual superiority" I was not referring to you specifically but it pains to see people getting personal in a discussion about a game and players.

I appreciate the spirit of your post nevertheless. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
He has also averaged nearly 50 (49.something) since he refused to open.
The key thing to remember is this:
Kolkata 2000\01 to SCG 2003\04
From Pakistan 2003\04 onwards
Beyond all question, in the 3-year period between Australia series he was phenominal. However, he's been horrid since then, and that, for me, is inexplicable. I've not watched an enormous number of these games, just the Pakistan (2003\04) ones. And there didn't seem to be a lot wrong. Whereas I watched more than not of the games that made-up his phenominal period, so I just don't understand what's wrong.
The interesting bit, of course, is this (his career before Kolkata 2000\01). Notice especially the positional part. While he - stupidly - was made to open in 23 out of 35 innings, even when not opening his average was still poor. This suggests that he was not yet the player of 2000\01-2003\04.
What I hope is that he's not gone back to those old days... :(