• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laxman -- Highly overrated!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I always believed that was more due to his great placement of the ball rather than how fast he would run.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Going by the some of the above posts about statistics and averages...what the hell is that...why are people calculating averages when a particular player has scored below 10 in some of his innings...doesn't that beat the logic of calculating averages at all?

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
As the creator of this thread, after reading over what you people have to say and calculate I apologise for this. Guess these are futile statistics and this actually stems out of the fact that I can't stand Laxman and feel that he does not deserve a spot in the team but all the same I guess these stats are crap...

My apologies people....

But how many of you feel he should still be in the team...??

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
No need to make apologies mate...you'll always see such things on CW :D

And another thing...I am with you...Laxman should make way,how long is he going to play in the team by strength of his past records,thats the only question I have.

twctopcat

International Regular
For the 281 alone that guy deserves all the plaudits, i can't get bored of watching that innings. In fact i'm going to watch it now. :D

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
twctopcat said:
For the 281 alone that guy deserves all the plaudits, i can't get bored of watching that innings. In fact i'm going to watch it now. :D
Well, the selectors seem to be sharing your views mate! Yup, I agree his 281 was amazing but everyone must stop living in the past... We got Yuvraj & Kaif waiting to go with excellent domestic performances..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Okay forget his 281 then:

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T1_04-08DEC2003.html
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T2_12-16DEC2003.html
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T4_02-06JAN2004.html

Tests 1, 2 and 4 against Australia in Australia on the last tour. Who was there with Ganguly when he got his ton? Laxman. Who was there with Dravid when he batted brilliantly for his double ton? Laxman. Who was there for Tendulkar when he fought to get to his double hundred in Sydney? Laxman.

Let us not forget his 100s during the ODI series in the same tour.

He had the highest average out of any ODI batsman for India last year. Even higher than Sachin.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
That is not enough.. Laxman has not had a decent score in Test cricket since playing in Australia end of 2003, and we this is March 2005...
I am not saying drop him permanently.. but he should be dropped for a few matches to give him a wake-up call...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Try and give decent statistics when trying to prove a point next time chekmeout. :)

And he's far from the worst fielder, he's very very good in the slips. He was the best ODI player for India in 2004, and though he's far from the best runner between the wickets, he's not the worst. If you think he's worse than Inzy and Ranatunga you haven't seen much cricket.
ranatunga was a pretty good judge of the quick single in spite of his bulk, i don't think you can put him in the inzy class...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
Any chance of combining 'scores under 10' with 'first-chance averages'? I think we could be onto the most irrelevant statistic of all time here. :)
No, we could combine a useless stat with a useful one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chekmeout said:
That is not enough.. Laxman has not had a decent score in Test cricket since playing in Australia end of 2003, and we this is March 2005...
I am not saying drop him permanently.. but he should be dropped for a few matches to give him a wake-up call...
Laxman between Kolkata 2001 and SCG 2004
I'd say, personally, that that period, 30 Tests in length, was magnificent enough to warrant him not being dropped for this.
As for this:
(He is) An absolutely crap one day player
So? What's him being a not-especially-good (not absolutely crap) ODI player got to do with Tests?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Statistically irrelevant, and knocking some of Richard's rubbish out of the top ten.
Be interested to hear precisely what you mean by that...
Because I've never thought you were stupid, and you'd have to be to think that careers must be counted as overall and never be broken down... (in fact I know perfectly well that you don't think so - given that you seem to know Lee's post-2001 average better than I do)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
well I see what you mean...I guess the reason I dont see what the fuss about VVS is is because he never has really done much in England (where I get to see most of my cricket)..and when ever I have watched him abroad, it just so happenes he doesnt score that much
VVS in England
I'd say that's impressive enough, myself, particularly given that the only total failure was when he was coming in on day-three at 584 for 4...
But let me guess - the stats aren't enough, and Laxman didn't satisfy your spontaneous demands for success... 8-)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Be interested to hear precisely what you mean by that...
Because I've never thought you were stupid, and you'd have to be to think that careers must be counted as overall and never be broken down... (in fact I know perfectly well that you don't think so - given that you seem to know Lee's post-2001 average better than I do)
I mean that it's an even more stupid theory than most of yours. Definitely worse than first-chance averages, but possibly not as bad as Vic Marks > Shane Warne.

C_C

International Captain
I have watched VVS a long time and his recent downfall in my opinion is because he has really taken all those comments about his incredible wrists and his amazing flick too seriously....VVS tends to flick the ball and play across the line too soon these days, sometimes from ball1...before, he always played in the V initially to get settled.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Anil said:
ranatunga was a pretty good judge of the quick single in spite of his bulk, i don't think you can put him in the inzy class...
Ranatunga was gifted w/ an immaculate ability to place the ball where he wanted and WALK a single.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
About Laxman, he's the guy who I most enjoy watching. He's so stylish and elegant and wristy.

That said, I don't think he deserves a place in the OD side.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
VVS in England
I'd say that's impressive enough, myself, particularly given that the only total failure was when he was coming in on day-three at 584 for 4...
But let me guess - the stats aren't enough, and Laxman didn't satisfy your spontaneous demands for success... 8-)
welll you are kinda right...

he never really impressed me that much when I have watched him

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
chekmeout said:
Well, despite the 281 in Calcutta, and many of his other 100s I feel VVS Laxman is a highly overrated player and for some reason I don't like him. :p Illogical I know... but well some people just irritate !! I mean have any of you noticed how shocked Laxman looks when he gets out even if its bowled.. Like hes never been out before. Anyways point of this thread is check out some interesting statistics :-

This is a letter from a friend of mine
This is one of the most ridiculous posts i have had the "pleasure" to read and there is some stiff competition in this category as we all know.

Let this test match be over and I will address you and your "learned friend".

Come back to this space !!!!