• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara Disappionted over pontings comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scallywag

Banned
I think you need to read all the posts again Luckyeddie.

I can see you are out of your depth by the attempted put downs.

Scallywag

Banned
Symonds in the spotlight
Will Swanton - 20 February 2003

POTCHEFSTROOM, South Africa, Feb 19 AAP -
"Symonds said the main satisfaction he gained from his first ton for Australia was derived from helping his team-mates out of a difficult situation, 4-86, and repaying the long-term support he had received from captain Ricky Ponting, who pushed hard for him in the World Cup selection room. "

Symonds was selected and was not a replacement.

Scallywag

Banned
"I've always had a good rapport with him and I can feel the confidence he has in me," said Symonds, who shared a 87-ball, 60-run partnership with Ponting that swung momentum Australia's way en route to an 82-run win."

I should of added the next sentence aswell.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So, because Ponting wanted Symonds in the squad, he's repeatedly proven himself as a fantastic captain.

I'm waiting for the tour of Inda and the inevitable high-pressure situations to see if he can turn the team around. As far as I'm concerned, any of the 11 who played in the final could have captained Australia to victory in that Cup.

PY

International Coach
Scallywag said:
What on earth has Peter May, Alan Border, Mike Brearley, Clive Lloyd, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud got to do with it. Unless you are trying to say Lara is as good as captain as the players mentioned and Ponting dosent measure up to him.
I think they were examples of proven captains.

He asked if you could supply an example of Ponting being a good captain in the WC and you provided an example which has little to nothing to do with what goes on where it is most important, on the field; which is ultimately the place where it needs to be proven and also why this thread began Ponting commented about another captain's tactical ability.

But bully-for-you that Ponting got Symonds picked for WC because he won me the Fantasy Cricket league for my school ( which btw included Neil :laugh: )

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PY said:
I think they were examples of proven captains.

He asked if you could supply an example of Ponting being a good captain in the WC and you provided an example which has little to nothing to do with what goes on where it is most important, on the field; which is ultimately the place where it needs to be proven and also why this thread began Ponting commented about another captain's tactical ability.

But bully-for-you that Ponting got Symonds picked for WC because he won me the Fantasy Cricket league for my school ( which btw included Neil :laugh: )
I nearly nearly won. If I'd have transferred in Ganguly instead of Kaif for the Semis it would have been a heck of a lot closer.

Scallywag

Banned
"I've always had a good rapport with him and I can feel the confidence he has in me," said Symonds, who shared a 87-ball, 60-run partnership with Ponting that swung momentum Australia's way en route to an 82-run win."

He asked if you could supply an example of Ponting being a good captain in the WC and you provided an example which has little to nothing to do with what goes on where it is most important, on the field; which is ultimately the place where it needs to be proven

I think when a player walks on the field in a world cup and the score is 4-86 and he says he can feel the captains confidence in him I think thats a captain performing where it is most important, on the field; which is ultimately the place where it needs to be proven.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Scallywag said:

He asked if you could supply an example of Ponting being a good captain in the WC and you provided an example which has little to nothing to do with what goes on where it is most important, on the field; which is ultimately the place where it needs to be proven

I think when a player walks on the field in a world cup and the score is 4-86 and he says he can feel the captains confidence in him I think thats a captain performing where it is most important, on the field; which is ultimately the place where it needs to be proven.
Granted, Ponting did well to inspire Symonds' confidence.

However, "many times over" suggests, well, many times over... not one instance.

Scallywag

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Granted, Ponting did well to inspire Symonds' confidence.

However, "many times over" suggests, well, many times over... not one instance.
but as far as proving time and time again that he is a better captain than Lara, give me an example, please.

The original request was for an example not examples, but for you I will give another that will seal this argument.

Not long ago many people were calling for Martyn to be dropped but Ponting publicly backed Martyn who then scored a centry. And on the field who can forget that incredible innings in the world cup final of all games. Not to mention how his fielding inspires the team and leads by example.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Many times over is not twice, either. Many times over to me suggests eight-plus.

So far all you've given is backing of players - and let's face it, Martyn was never going to get dropped anyway (which doesn't elevate him at all) - batting (which isn't captaincy) and being the best fielder in the side (which again, isn't captaincy).

Let's see some real on-field, crunch situation leadership before potential is transformed into conclusive proof.

PY

International Coach
I suppose that he did give his player confidence but still not shown tactical brilliance when the chips are down? (Give me that as least?)

Me, for certain, and almost certainly the rest of us are not saying that Ponting is a bad captain or that he won't prove himself to be up there with the very best BUT I don't think enough has been seen for him to legitimately make comments.

Although as I stated in the other thread, he's entitled to his opinion as I am to say my opinions on his opinions. That what the forum is about. Don't feel intimidated by comments as they are all part of the discussion!!! And don't forget to enjoy!!:)

Scallywag

Banned
you dont get it do you Neil.

I'm not talking about Martyn being dropped, I'm talking about a captain who gives his players confidence, he publicly came out and backed Martyn when the media were calling for him to be axed. Martyn responded with a centry because of his captains belief in him.

Batting which isnt captaincy in your books, like to explain the term captains knock.

Fielding isnt captaincy, I wont bother with this one as not many countries yet realise the importance of good fielding.

"Let's see some real on-field, crunch situation leadership before potential is transformed into conclusive proof."

How about winning three test matches on the trot after giving up first innings lead.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Not long ago many people were calling for Martyn to be dropped but Ponting publicly backed Martyn who then scored a centry.

Martyn was never likely to be dropped because the selectors have more brains than the media.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Martyn responded with a centry because of his captains belief in him.
And nothing to do with Martyn's undoubted ability then - it was all Ponting!

Scallywag said:
Fielding isnt captaincy, I wont bother with this one as not many countries yet realise the importance of good fielding.
Actually people do realise that, but because he's a good fielder, that says absolutely nothing about his captaincy!

Scallywag said:
"Let's see some real on-field, crunch situation leadership before potential is transformed into conclusive proof."

How about winning three test matches on the trot after giving up first innings lead.
Ignoring the fact that the Australian team is head and shoulders above any other side yet again I see.

The team won that match because they're the best in the world and have been performing like that for years (or do you want to give Ponting the credit for that as well?)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Read what Pete posted... nowhere have I said that I don't rate Ponting as a captain.

You're trying to use these pieces of evidence to back your claim as Ponting being far better than Lara as a skipper. Lara is one of the best fielders (after Ricardo Powell) in the WI side. He's played more captain's knocks than I can think of. He's backed his players too.

I rate both as good captains but neither as exceptional... yet.

Scallywag

Banned
OK you dont have an understanding of how a captain can instill confidence in his players so I'll let that one go.

"he's a good fielder, that says absolutely nothing about his captaincy!"

You have no idea how a captain leads by example especially in the field, so I will let this one go too.

"The team won that match because they're the best in the world and have been performing like that for years (or do you want to give Ponting the credit for that as well?)"

Since Ponting was the captain and he made all the decisions in the three games dont you think he should get the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.