• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara Disappionted over pontings comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Lara's captaincy

No matter how good a captain is he still won't get wickets with lausy bowlers - unless of course you are playing the current Zimbabwe team. It is not as though the WI bowlers were expecting to bowl England out twice after failing so miserably in the first three tests.

It's a bit hard to blame the captain for team bowling failures!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Ponting has proven himself to be a much better captain than Lara many times over

He has?

Many times over and he's only been in the job 2 minutes.

Ponting has to me proved nothing as a captain yet (except that Australia have the best team in the world by far)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
That 500-900 India-Sri Lanka draw was one of the more ridiculous draws I've heard of in Cricketing history. I don't think any sane team would do a thing like that today.

Why not?

Facing 500 from the opposition at not that quick a rate, the team isn't going to win the match, so why not set your stall out to bat as long as you can?

Batting only involves 2 players, with the other 9 able to relax, whereas the opposition are all in the field for a long, long time.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Why not?

Facing 500 from the opposition at not that quick a rate, the team isn't going to win the match, so why not set your stall out to bat as long as you can?

Batting only involves 2 players, with the other 9 able to relax, whereas the opposition are all in the field for a long, long time.
In these days of quite, quite ridiculous TV scheduling and multiple back-to-back tests, it could well become much more common than you think in the future.

At the end of the day, what is a captain's first priority in a test series? Win it, of course. Secondary to that is winning the individual games. There are going to be times that the first game of a series is scheduled for a featherbed and some team or another are going to be stuck in the field for three days in a bore draw.

Can you think of a more effective way of holding the upper hand at the start of game 2, especially if there's only been 2 days break between games? I wouldn't be surprised if that had been uppermost in Ranatunga's mind when Sri Lanka droned on and on and on in the quoted example in 1997 - and who's to say it wouldn't have worked if it hadn't been for centuries from his regal lefthandedness and choker?

To the person who said that Ponting is a good captain - how can you tell? The Australians are head and shoulders above anyone else at the moment, and as far as I can tell, the most incisive decision he's made over the last 12 months has been to use briquettes as opposed to proper charcoal on the post-match barbie.

Scallywag

Banned
To the person who said that Ponting is a good captain - how can you tell?

This is what I said.
Ponting has proven himself to be a much better captain than Lara many times over

Why, because Australia has been plagued by injuries to his best bowlers and losing Warne for a year he still stuck by his bowlers supporting them, believing in them and inspiring them to produce results at times that they shouldent have been able to ( World cup as an example). Yeah Ponting has proven time and time again he is a far better captain than Lara. At the moment Lara is probably a better batsman.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
To the person who said that Ponting is a good captain - how can you tell?

This is what I said.

Why, because Australia has been plagued by injuries to his best bowlers and losing Warne for a year he still stuck by his bowlers supporting them, believing in them and inspiring them to produce results at times that they shouldent have been able to ( World cup as an example). Yeah Ponting has proven time and time again he is a far better captain than Lara. At the moment Lara is probably a better batsman.
I'm not going to get drawn into a debate with respect to captaincy and one-day internationals other than to say that captaincy here is seldom as significant as individual performances. Citing the 2003 World Cup as an example, could you come up with a single decisive moment where Ponting's captaincy turned things around? There might have been - I'm just unable to recall one.

As far as test cricket is concerned, come back to me when Ponting has skippered the side a few more times than three.

Ponting might be the best thing since barbecued prawns, he's a quite superb batsman and he has made significant contributions as an inspirational player, but as far as proving time and time again that he is a better captain than Lara, give me an example, please.

Loony BoB

International Captain
The posts in this thread are so great that I figure I'll just agree with every single one of them.

EDIT: Although, to say Australia suffers when someone gets injured is a bit of a joke. Some of their state teams could probably win against half of the test sides in the world, let alone the national squad.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
what about poor old Ridley Jacobs century..
Shocking.

I reckon he bribed Lara to not declare so that he could get a century - a clear case of selfishness there over the team!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Why, because Australia has been plagued by injuries to his best bowlers and losing Warne for a year

Oh yes, the loss for a year of someone who had retired from the only form of the game that Ponting was captain in at that time was indeed a major one!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
Although, to say Australia suffers when someone gets injured is a bit of a joke.
I will never take that as an excuse for Australia after remembering the stick the English had in the last Ashes series when we pointed out exactly how many injuries we had (it got to the point when the replacement for the replacement got injured!)

PY

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
Some of their state teams could probably win against half of the test sides in the world.
That has been argued extensively in a thread named 'NSW are the second best team in the world' (I think that is what it was called, please correct if not) and it was a fairly 'interesting' thread :p

Scallywag

Banned
but as far as proving time and time again that he is a better captain than Lara, give me an example, please.

Ponting pushed to have Symonds in the ODI team for the WC.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Scallywag said:
but as far as proving time and time again that he is a better captain than Lara, give me an example, please.

Well done, he should retire and become a selector.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Scallywag said:
Well done, he should retire and become a selector.

Why he is doing such a great job as captain?.
No, because he would obviously make an even better selector.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:

Really. Well, I take it all back in that case.

Here's me thinking that skippers like Peter May, Alan Border, Mike Brearley, Clive Lloyd, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud and the like were good international captains because of their innovative field positions, good use of bowlers, inspirational character, diplomacy off the field and knowledge of the game.

Now I know that all they needed to do was to ensure that Andrew Symonds was a member of their squad.

I suppose that means that Viv Richards was pretty good. He at least managed to get Phil Simmons selected for the West Indies, which sounds a little like Symonds. It also explains why Clive Lloyd was inspired to go to Lancashire - they had 'flat Jack' Simmons playing for them at the time.

Scallywag

Banned
Luckyeddie you have gone a bit off track so I will again tell you what I said "Ponting has proven himself to be a much better captain than Lara many times over".

What on earth has Peter May, Alan Border, Mike Brearley, Clive Lloyd, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud got to do with it. Unless you are trying to say Lara is as good as captain as the players mentioned and Ponting dosent measure up to him.

Well you may think Lara is as good as Peter May, Alan Border, Mike Brearley, Clive Lloyd, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud but I dont think so.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Luckyeddie you have gone a bit off track so I will again tell you what I said "Ponting has proven himself to be a much better captain than Lara many times over".

What on earth has Peter May, Alan Border, Mike Brearley, Clive Lloyd, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud got to do with it. Unless you are trying to say Lara is as good as captain as the players mentioned and Ponting dosent measure up to him.

Well you may think Lara is as good as Peter May, Alan Border, Mike Brearley, Clive Lloyd, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud but I dont think so.
I think I can hear your school bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.