• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara vs Allan Border

Who was the greater test batsmen?

• Kumar Sangakkara

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Allan Border

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Depends on the context.

If I want a World-class batsman to fill the No.3 spot then I’m going to select Sangakkara every time.

But if I need a ‘thou shall not pass’ middle order batsman then it has to be AB.

Greatness? Border by a smidge I suppose as he resurrected Australian cricket from the dead.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both excellent batsmen with extended peaks and I understand Sanga’s era was easier for batting but I think the gap between their stats is significant enough for me to still choose him.
Sanga played like 80% of his matches on the subcontinent and got to smash a double against Bangladesh every few weeks. Top 15 batsman ever imo but he has a pretty big advantage when it comes to his surface level stats relative to other ATGs.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Sanga’s double tons….

DateVersusGroundRuns
Bangladesh​
Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium​
South Africa​
Sinhalese Sports Club Ground​
Zimbabwe​
Queens Sports Club​
South Africa​
Pakistan​
Gaddafi Stadium​
Bangladesh​
Asgiriya Stadium​
222*
Pakistan​
Galle International Stadium​
India​
Pakistan​
Sheikh Zayed Stadium​
New Zealand​
Basin Reserve​
Bangladesh​
P Sara Oval​
200*
Pakistan​
199*
Pakistan​
Australia​
Bellerive Oval​

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
When I read through the thread, almost all comments favor Border and I thought he will be smashing it in the voting but it is actually Sanga who is almost double the votes of Border.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Sanga’s wanker tons….

DateVersusGroundRuns
Bangladesh​
South Africa​
Zimbabwe​
Queens Sports Club​
South Africa​
Pakistan​
Gaddafi Stadium​
Bangladesh​
Asgiriya Stadium​
222*
Pakistan​
India​
Pakistan​
Sheikh Zayed Stadium​
New Zealand​
Basin Reserve​
Bangladesh​
P Sara Oval​
200*
Pakistan​
199*
Pakistan​
Australia​
Bellerive Oval​
Corrected. Sanga is kind of like Popeye.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
AB biggest scores…

DateVersusGroundRuns
New Zealand​
Adelaide Oval​
England​
Headingley​
200*
England​
Lord's​
India​
Melbourne Cricket Ground​
India​
MA Chidambaram Stadium​
Pakistan​
Gaddafi Stadium​
New Zealand​
Brisbane Cricket Ground​
152*
Pakistan​
Gaddafi Stadium​
150*
England​
Old Trafford​
146*
New Zealand​
AMI Stadium​
West Indies​
Adelaide Oval​
England​
WACA Ground​
India​
Melbourne Cricket Ground​

TheJediBrah

Sanga played like 80% of his matches on the subcontinent and got to smash a double against Bangladesh every few weeks. Top 15 batsman ever imo but he has a pretty big advantage when it comes to his surface level stats relative to other ATGs.
This. One of the most overrated players. Sanga was still very good outside Asia compared to a guy like Jayawardene though.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Sanga’s double tons….

DateVersusGroundRuns
Bangladesh​
South Africa​
Zimbabwe​
Queens Sports Club​
South Africa​
Pakistan​
Gaddafi Stadium​
Bangladesh​
Asgiriya Stadium​
222*
Pakistan​
India​
Pakistan​
Sheikh Zayed Stadium​
New Zealand​
Basin Reserve​
Bangladesh​
P Sara Oval​
200*
Pakistan​
199*
Pakistan​
Australia​
Bellerive Oval​
three of those are categorically not double tons i might add

now don't get me wrong people who think a 200 against bangladesh is somehow more valuable than a 199 against pakistan by virtue of beginning with a two are clowns but you described the list as his double tons

TheJediBrah

Lol I don't think he's overrated (as I said, clearly top 15 or so), don't try to imply I said that by "agreeing" with me.

I do think his stats overrate him though, if that makes sense.
Relax, you're reading into things a bit lol, I know you didn't day that. That's what I'm saying, not you.

He's overrated by people who look at averages and can't see anything beyond that.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
As opposed to the bloke who averaged 55 away from home across a 156 test career.

Sanga a gun but TOTAB is the world's greatest post-war cricketer.
I didn't say AB wasn't a good all conditions batsman, just that Sanga is better.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Not disagreeing with your overall point, but by saying "subcontinent" you're undervaluing a double against Pakistan in UAE when SL were bowled out for a sub-200 score in the first innings.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
three of those are categorically not double tons i might add

now don't get me wrong people who think a 200 against bangladesh is somehow more valuable than a 199 against pakistan by virtue of beginning with a two are clowns but you described the list as his double tons
I just wanted to cut ‘n paste down to Sangakkara’s 192 in Hobart because it was a great knock. Also, everyone can count.

OverratedSanity

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but by saying "subcontinent" you're undervaluing a double against Pakistan in UAE when SL were bowled out for a sub-200 score in the first innings.
That's why I rank him highly, he played a lot of great innings both in asia and abroad. Was only responding to the post about him having a sizeable gap in his statistics compared to Border... it definitely helps you statistically to play more in familiar conditions.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jeez is he seriously that overrated? Bloke averaged 54.07 away from Sri Lanka and 49.69 away from the subcontinent. I mean its not his fault he was better at taking advantage in his home games is it?
I don't think OS is actually saying he is over-rated - he said he's in the top 15 bats of all time and he's not really rated higher than that by the vast majority of people - he's just saying that his overall Test average is inflated compared to someone like Border. He's definitely not a 7-run beter batsman than Border so his raw average "over-rates" him in that way.

I largely agree too. I think 10th-15th of all time is about right and I voted for him here ahead of Border but it's close, and the reason it can be so close despite his obscene average is the factors OS pointed out.