• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli vs Root

Kohli vs Root in Tests. Overall careers.

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Another example of saltshakerz being unable to process the actual subject and being pedantic to suit his own bias. I meant his form leading upto the Sydney test genius.
You literally said Tendulkar's average in 2004.

Anyways, Tendulkar at that stage was still not near droppable. The only point that talk started was in 2006 when he had a rotten year and seemed well past his best.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli may get back and make us eat cow dung but I saw him bat after a while the other day in the T 20 vs Pakistan I know a t 20 is n not the ideal judging criteria for a classical batsman but he looked awful I really do not remember Sachin ever looking this bad ever in his 2004-06 slump I hope he can recover and average over 50 by the time he retire but I will not bet on it.
Why has everyone forgotten how awful Tendulkar was for 3-4 years? He was good in white ball cricket all throughout but in tests he really really sucked. Scored only one hundred outside of Bangladesh in almost 4 long years.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyways, Tendulkar at that stage was still not near droppable. The only point that talk started was in 2006 when he had a rotten year and seemed well past his best.
My memory may be a bit rusty but I recall there was a lot of talk that he should be getting dropped during that time for guys like Kaif & Yuvraj but the selectors never seriously considered it because he was such a big drawcard and the fans wouldn't stand for it (ie. would cost them money I guess)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My memory may be a bit rusty but I recall there was a lot of talk that he should be getting dropped during that time for guys like Kaif & Yuvraj but the selectors never seriously considered it because he was such a big drawcard and the fans wouldn't stand for it (ie. would cost them money I guess)
You are right about everything except the part about fans wouldn't stand for it. Tendulkar was booed at Mumbai, his home ground.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You are right about everything except the part about fans wouldn't stand for it. Tendulkar was booed at Mumbai, his home ground.
There probably would have been an uproar if he did get dropped though as well. Remember how many people, especially Indian fans, tuned in just to watch Sachin bat.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
This is Tendulkar between his 194* at Multan in early 2004 and 2007-08 Border Gavaskar Trophy, against teams other than Bangaldesh.
So he averaged mid 30s, EXCLUDING Bangladesh.

It was bad, it wasn't Kohli bad. Which is the point. Kohli is literally somewhere at the very bottom of the pile in the last 3 or so years - with only Rahane and Pujara and some (but not all) random English bat below him. Some of the other much maligned English bats actually have a comparable or better average than Kohli.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Another point to note is that Tendulkar had several injuries around that time. Tennis elbow, back injury etc.

Kohli does not even look a bit unfit let alone any injuries. He probably has a ****ed up mind right now and doesn't look focused enough.

As far as declines are concerned, Kohli's >>>>> Tendulkar's