• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli vs Root

Kohli vs Root in Tests. Overall careers.

• Total voters

Shady Slim

International Coach
Out the door it might be snowing, in my world it’s always June, I don’t believe in the world outside my room
it’s great when one’s arbitrary heuristics as to deciding who’s better conveniently fit their agenda entirely

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think Kohli is still comfortably #2 of the current era due to having big series everywhere although he could end up #4. Williamson vs Root would be a lot closer.
Nah Root > Williamson quite clearly. Williamson's had more than enough opportunities to dispel the theory that he's not up to it in England & Indian conditions, yet he's failed time & time again. We'll slightly let him off on his poor record in South Africa due to lack of opportunity, but even so just one 50 in 7 innings there @ an average of 21, which is terrible.

Meanwhile Root only has a horrible average in Bangladesh, with his next two worst being Australia where he still averages 35 & NZ averaging 39.

No surprise to see KW is far more of a home-track bully, with Root having the better overall away record.

I wouldn't have said this a few years ago, but now Root quite clearly for me, both now (and miles ahead based on recent form) and across the overall career.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Nah Root > Williamson quite clearly. Williamson's had more than enough opportunities to dispel the theory that he's not up to it in England & Indian conditions, yet he's failed time & time again. We'll slightly let him off on his poor record in South Africa due to lack of opportunity, but even so just one 50 in 7 innings there @ an average of 21, which is terrible.

Meanwhile Root only has a horrible average in Bangladesh, with his next two worst being Australia where he still averages 35 & NZ averaging 39.

No surprise to see KW is far more of a home-track bully, with Root having the better overall away record.

I wouldn't have said this a few years ago, but now Root quite clearly for me, both now (and miles ahead based on recent form) and across the overall career.
I think he’s been kind of unlucky tbh. He’s missed quite a few matches overseas due to injuries/illnesses.

Based on the eye test and his home record he seems a better player than both Kohli and Root, so hopefully he improves the away record over the next few years since he’s still relatively young.

Zinzan

Based on the eye test and his home record he seems a better player than both Kohli and Root, so hopefully he improves the away record over the next few years since he’s still relatively young.
Firstly he seems to be on a slow decline now & secondly, while he's not exactly old I think due to his ongoing elbow issue & his young family I expect he'll retire in the next 18-24 months without getting further opportunities in England or India where he's struggled in the past.

Not sure how you deduce he 'seems' a better player than those other two by the 'eye' test and his home record?

Care to elaborate why his home record being so much better than his away is a point in his favour?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Kohli may get back and make us eat cow dung but I saw him bat after a while the other day in the T 20 vs Pakistan I know a t 20 is n not the ideal judging criteria for a classical batsman but he looked awful I really do not remember Sachin ever looking this bad ever in his 2004-06 slump I hope he can recover and average over 50 by the time he retire but I will not bet on it.

trundler

Testosterone boosters cost more than actual testosterone and don't do ****.

Now Kohli on tren would potentially be the greatest **** in history. Imagine a roided up Kohli's stump mic shenanigans.

TheJediBrah

Out of the big 4 Kohli is the one least in need of Testosterone supplementation

I'm still not convinced Smith or Root have hit puberty
Now Kohli on tren would potentially be the greatest **** in history. Imagine a roided up Kohli's stump mic shenanigans.
Sreesanth will hook him up

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kohli may get back and make us eat cow dung but I saw him bat after a while the other day in the T 20 vs Pakistan I know a t 20 is n not the ideal judging criteria for a classical batsman but he looked awful I really do not remember Sachin ever looking this bad ever in his 2004-06 slump I hope he can recover and average over 50 by the time he retire but I will not bet on it.
I mean Sachin could not play shots against some very meme level spin in the Multan test in 2004. And I have seen Sachin struggle worse than Virat has done in this Asia Cup multiple times in his career.

subshakerz

International Coach
Neither does Virat in T20Is. I would bet he is averaging much better than Sachin in 2004 for example.
Sachin averaged 91 in tests in 2004 :)

No way does Kohli's slump compare to Tendulkar. Tendulkar just lost his consistency but was still scoring tons and contributing. Though to be fair there was a time leading to the World Cup 2007 that Tendulkar seemed past it and there were calls for him to retire.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sachin averaged 91 in tests in 2004 :)

No way does Kohli's slump compare to Tendulkar. Tendulkar just lost his consistency but was still scoring tons and contributing.

Another example of saltshakerz being unable to process the actual subject and being pedantic to suit his own bias. I meant his form leading upto the Sydney test genius.