• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stages

Piper

International Captain
Yeah, but look how badly England were playing at that stage.. SA have been lucky in a lot of their matches.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, but look how badly England were playing at that stage.. SA have been lucky in a lot of their matches.
It's easy enough to say England at their peak were better than South Africa throughout the whole tournament, and it's true. But through the whole tournament South Africa were better, and they were better during the final and deserved to win. In reality England played two good games.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to agree here. I think the 3rd/4th Play Off was a million times better than the actual Final. And South Africa being the best team in the WC? I don't think so. Once Enland starting playing (especially against Aus) they were better than SA have been all WC. And I think if los Pumas had played against SA the way they played against France, I don't think SA would have won.
Can't agree with that - England stepped up superbly when it mattered against both Australia and France, and full credit to them for both matches. But I don't think you can possibly say they were a better rugby team than England over the course of this tournament. 37 tries to 12 for the tournament tells the story - while number of tries scored isn't by any means the only criteria a team should be judged on, such a discrepancy as that is notable.

The World Cup got its deserved champions.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
..was exciting,cos i wanted them to win so badly...would have liked that memory of them holding the cup just as i leave England,but wasnt to be...have enjoyed the whole thing tho,tbh..watched quite a few decent games of rugby over the past few weeks...:)
OT, but where are you going and why?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
SA have been lucky in a lot of their matches.
Complete tosh, but I will not pay too much heed to it.

Clearly the best team in the Comp won. A well rounded team that has its obvious strengths but was multi-dimentional.

Im a happy man. :)

Piper

International Captain
Why is everyone treating me like an idiot? All I said was that I didn't think that South Africa were the best team in the World Cup. Whether they were not is everyone's opinion. I just think that there were teams who played better. They won the World Cup with my opinion of them not being the best team, but they won. Congratulations to them.

Matteh

Why is everyone treating me like an idiot? All I said was that I didn't think that South Africa were the best team in the World Cup. Whether they were not is everyone's opinion. I just think that there were teams who played better. They won the World Cup with my opinion of them not being the best team, but they won. Congratulations to them.
Can't use the 'oh i'm blonde' excuse and have people thinking you're Stephen Hawking.

Australia played poorly against England, NZ got owned by France, England were hammered by SA. France are too on/off. SA absolutely hammered England and even when England stepped up in the final they still had enough.

Perm

Because you've been known to make silly statements in the past. South Africa were better than England, who really only performed well in two, maybe three games.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
It's OK Piper... South Africa weren' t the best side at the World Cup and didn't play great rugby. Argentina played the best rugby, IMO, and NZ, Australia and France would've all won if they'd been on SA's side of the draw.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's OK Piper... South Africa weren' t the best side at the World Cup and didn't play great rugby. Argentina played the best rugby, IMO, and NZ, Australia and France would've all won if they'd been on SA's side of the draw.
Really can't agree there. It was effective, but it was as ugly as anything came up with, save for their efforts in the bronze match. & It's obviously easier to be brave in that than the final.

Feels much like '99 now for me, NZ the best team but got taken out by a French team who couldn't repeat the dose, leaving the draw open for the team with the best defence to take the crown.

Piper

International Captain
Because you've been known to make silly statements in the past. South Africa were better than England, who really only performed well in two, maybe three games.
I admit that England played crap in the pool stages, but when it really mattered they played well. I think that South Africa only ever went through a few 'gears'. They weren't the side that we had seen earlier in the year.

Finally, someone who gets what I'm trying to say!