• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stages

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, the best team, both on the night, and in the tournament, won. Well done saffies!

I feel, personally, that the try should have stood, looked like a try to me, and the game could have been majorly changed from there had Wilkinson converted. Alas, it wasn't, and there have been enough people telling the Kiwis to get over the French forward pass for me to not give out sour grapes. Tait had a great game IMO, but well done Saffies. Hoping the English resurgence is not just a 3 week thing; looking forwards to the 6 nations tbh.

Last edited:

simmy

International Regular
Well done South Africa. For a country that I never want to see winning (ever since Corne Krige punched Jonny Wilkinson in every ruck for entire game in 2002), they have played liked champions throughout and behaved well also. Matfield was unreal tbh.

England's MOM goes to Tait obviously who was impeccable with ball and without.

As for England now, they come back home heroes. All of them, from 1-22 because what they have achieved and by almost completing mission impossible made me so proud to live here. In fact I was more proud of them tonight than I was 4 years ago (as we were expected to win it last time round quite frankly).

Wilkinson and Habana barely stood out and South Africa have a serious talent in Steyn also.

I loved the WC and watching England play will inspire a lot of club players in this country and renew interest which has wavered since 2003.

A great tournament.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The better team won & fair play to them. It was a try when Cueto went over in the corner, but it really wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome. Our lineouts were a disgrace and the yarps discipline at the breakdowns was superb.

Crippling shame in the Springboks' team will be sacrificed on some spurious political will to get more players from "formerly disadvantaged" backgrounds in the SA team.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Well done South Africa, worthy winners. The two best teams of the tournament played out the final which is what you want to see.

simmy

International Regular
I still am just so proud to live in England right now.

They were fantastic in Sri Lanka, a complete revelation in the RWC and a total shambles on in Russia (England not qualifying makes me very happy :D)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congratulations to South Africa, I picked them before the Tri Nations this year to take out the title and they didn't disappoint. They had the perfect mixture of a dominant lineout, strong scrum, aggressive loose forwards and skilled backs. They've also got the experience and match-hardened attitude that the All Blacks never had. For the record, the decision on Cueto was correct, his foot had brushed the sideline. I also felt that the player who shoved Percy Montgomery should have been penalised or sinbinned.

Craig

World Traveller
Watching this tbh, don't tell anyone :ph34r:
Quoted in all it's glory. It's going into my sig.

Oh and congratulations South Africa, well deserved, maybe this could help lead the country into a positive light and inspire the population.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Congratulations to South Africa, I picked them before the Tri Nations this year to take out the title and they didn't disappoint. They had the perfect mixture of a dominant lineout, strong scrum, aggressive loose forwards and skilled backs. They've also got the experience and match-hardened attitude that the All Blacks never had. For the record, the decision on Cueto was correct, his foot had brushed the sideline. I also felt that the player who shoved Percy Montgomery should have been penalised or sinbinned.
Yeah I agree there, but I still can't remember the time where I laughed as hard as I did when Montgomery just smashed into the camera.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
The South African rugby resume makes for some impressive reading...

* 2 World Cups (equal with Australia)
* 4 Grand Slams (more than any other SH nation)
* Beat NZ in NZ 60 years before NZ beat SA in SA

Truly they are the greatest rugby nation. Scary thing is this is just another notch in their belt of long successes.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Speak for yourself. I was shaking throughout.

..was exciting,cos i wanted them to win so badly...would have liked that memory of them holding the cup just as i leave England,but wasnt to be...have enjoyed the whole thing tho,tbh..watched quite a few decent games of rugby over the past few weeks...:)

Piper

International Captain
That was the most boring World Cuo final ever.
Have to agree here. I think the 3rd/4th Play Off was a million times better than the actual Final. And South Africa being the best team in the WC? I don't think so. Once Enland starting playing (especially against Aus) they were better than SA have been all WC. And I think if los Pumas had played against SA the way they played against France, I don't think SA would have won.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
He's probably talking about the attractiveness of the football, rather than the actual competitive nature of the game.
I'd find a close tiddlywinks World Cup final exciting. Once victory's out of the reach of one of the sides I lose interest in sport, tbh.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to agree here. I think the 3rd/4th Play Off was a million times better than the actual Final. And South Africa being the best team in the WC? I don't think so. Once Enland starting playing (especially against Aus) they were better than SA have been all WC. And I think if los Pumas had played against SA the way they played against France, I don't think SA would have won.
Nah, South Africa had been better than England throughout the tournament. You're severly underrating them.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Argentina played the best of any team in the tournament, but to be fair it's easier to chance your arm in the third place playoff than in the final. The final wasn't particularly close. Once England needed to score more than 3 points you knew it wouldn't happen.