• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil vs Kohli

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Kohli and AB average exactly the same in this period(unless you consider less than 0.6 difference in averages anything more than negligible)Kohli beats AB in run accumulation, since he averaged the same in 47 more matches, something which is tougher to do, and AB beats him in SR. I never alleged Kohli had a higher SR, but that his SR was perfectly good. Comparing Kohli to Kallis in ODIs is crazy. Kallis’s average is 44 and SR 72. No amount of era revision would make me Kallis near Kohli. AB at this overlap might be slightly ahead, but we also excluding Deviliers ordinary years pre 2008. Overall they are equal.

Look at the stats. AB averages a few runs more than Kohli. Kohli's SR is closer to Kallis' than AB's.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain

Look at the stats. AB averages a few runs more than Kohli. Kohli's SR is closer to Kallis' than AB's.
I took all stats from 2008-18, when including both years, that is why I was getting a difference from you. Anyways, Deviliers ahead in this agreed. But still both equal overall because this ignores pre 2008 stats of Devilliers where he averaged 36 for 59 matches. One can say this excludes Kohli’s 2020-22 slump: but Kohli has a 36 average for far less(20) matches there. Also the above time period includes Kohli’s first 2 or 3 years, where he was far less experienced than AB.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
AB is clearly a more aggressive player, but if you think Kohli was incapable of scoring quickly, that is completely wrong. Kohli might not be one of the most aggressive players ever, but he has a good SR, one that can’t ever be used as a negative point against him, rather it is AB’s phenomenal Sr that is a point in AB’s favour, not that Kohli’s SR is very low or anything. Do the following scores(all in victories) indicate Kohli was incapable of scoring quickly?:
133(86)
100(52)
115(66)
131(96)
140(107)
129(96) etc

Kohli has instrumental in chasing down mammoth scores more than any other player ever. If I would have to chase down 350 in 50 overs or 300 in 40 overs, then I would pick Kohli over any other player, and all the stats in the world support that. And this is a simple fact: maintaining an average of 60 over 216 matches is tougher than over 159 matches. The fact that Kohli played more matches in these years, logically means he would less time to conserve his energy, and have to manage a bigger workload. Rather than a good chance of improving his stats, the opposite would be more likely for AB(like any other human) if he played more matches, since he would have to manage more workload. I agree AB is faster than Kohli, but saying Kohli’s SR was a problem, or that he was incapable of scoring quickly is wrong 100%.
Kohli is slow compared to Sachin, AB and Viv. Otherwise his SR is perfectly fine.

What happened with Kohli's Extra 57 matches? Did he performed better or worse in those matches? If he averaged more compared to first 159 matches, then its unfair to include those stats, AB is on a disadvantage there.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Kohli is slow compared to Sachin, AB and Viv. Otherwise his SR is perfectly fine.

What happened with Kohli's Extra 57 matches? Did he performed better or worse in those matches? If he averaged more compared to first 159 matches, then its unfair to include those stats, AB is on a disadvantage there.
These 216 matches by Kohli and 169(not 159) by AB were played from 2008-18. I don’t know what you want me to do. Which 47 matches to remove?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
These 216 matches by Kohli and 169(not 159) by AB were played from 2008-18. I don’t know what you want me to do. Which 47 matches to remove?
Remove last 4 matches of every year for first 10 years and last 7 matches of 2018 from Kohli's stats. If the result is a better average then we can compare AB's avg to that Avg.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Remove last 4 matches of every year for first 10 years and last 7 matches of 2018 from Kohli's stats. If the result is a better average then we can compare AB's avg to that Avg.
Dude I have a simpler method. Take AB’s entire career: 9300+ runs@53.5
Take Kohli’s runs from his career played inside Time period of AB’s career: 9588@58.1. Now Kohli’s runs after that: 2756@56
Era adjusted this average would fall to 50.
Adding 2756@50(55 innings) to Kohli’s 2008-18 stats: 12344@56.1
Average 2.6 runs more than AB, with 3000+ runs. AB wins clearly in SR and WC performance, and hence they are equal. This way you take care of the easy era for batting argument.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Dude I have a simpler method. Take AB’s entire career: 9300+ runs@53.5
Take Kohli’s runs from his career played inside Time period of AB’s career: 9588@58.1. Now Kohli’s runs after that: 2756@56
Era adjusted this average would fall to 50.
Adding 2756@50(55 innings) to Kohli’s 2008-18 stats: 12344@56.1
Average 2.6 runs more than AB, with 3000+ runs. AB wins clearly in SR and WC performance, and hence they are equal. This way you take care of the easy era for batting argument.
I dont get it ?
Not much difference in Avg
Huge difference in SR
Small difference in avg ( if any ) wont be enough to fill the gap between their strike rates.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
A difference of close to 3 runs in average with Kohli having 3000+ more runs. Difference of 8 in SR.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
A difference of close to 3 runs in average with Kohli having 3000+ more runs. Difference of 8 in SR.
Avg Difference 2.5 ( give or take )
SR Difference 15? ( in AB's favour)

And those extra 3000 runs helped Kohli to boost his stats.. Hence not valid.

( even if you are not era adjusting, SR Difference of 8 is significantly better than 2.5 difference in avg in most cases )

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Avg Difference 2.5 ( give or take )
SR Difference 15? ( in AB's favour)

And those extra 3000 runs helped Kohli to boost his stats.. Hence not valid.

( even if you are not era adjusting, SR Difference of 8 is significantly better than 2.5 difference in avg in most cases )
We are comparing AB and Kohli on stats. Whatever 3000 runs helped Kohli to improve stats aren’t his fault. What you are saying is what helps Kohli’s stats shouldnt be considered valid? Why compare AB and Kohli at all then? And there is a diffence in averaging 53 and 56, made more distinct especially since the latter has maintained his average for a higher number of matches. There is also a distinct difference between there SR’s which i have never debated.