• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil vs Kohli

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Whichever way Kohli has maintained his higher average over more matches/ for more runs, by scoring more in certain matches or not is irrelevant.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
We are comparing AB and Kohli on stats. Whatever 3000 runs helped Kohli to improve stats aren’t his fault. What you are saying is what helps Kohli’s stats shouldnt be considered valid? Why compare AB and Kohli at all then? And there is a diffence in averaging 53 and 56, made more distinct especially since the latter has maintained his average for a higher number of matches. There is also a distinct difference between there SR’s which i have never debated.
Because AB didn't get the chance to play more matches and Improve the stats like Kohli. So, we should add extra 3 points to AB avg as he was restricted to play fewer matches.

53 and 56 is a small gap
But 80 and 95 is a huge difference

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Because AB didn't get the chance to play more matches and Improve the stats like Kohli. So, we should add extra 3 points to AB avg as he was restricted to play fewer matches.

53 and 56 is a small gap
But 80 and 95 is a huge difference
Dude I have spent a lot of time trying to logically convince you that maintaining a high average over a larger number of matches is tougher bit easier, and atleast would not add 3 points to ABD’s average. Again it is tougher to maintain a higher average over more number of matches, so for you to assume that Kohli is lucky to play extra matches to boost his average goes contrary to logic. Also Kohli’s SR is 93, and AB 101, not 80 and 95.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
You can compare Kohli’s first 228 matches vs AB’s 228 matches, Kohli’s AV and runs will be higher. You can say that Kohli got to play more matches in his peak, but it is harder to maintain peak performance when you can’t conserve your energy proper and have a higher workload to manage, it doesn’t end up boosting your average in any logical sense.

ataraxia

International Coach
Thankfully I can't profess to have read it to any appreciable degree, but this must be the oddest / worst CW thread of the year. It's a back-and-forth - high-quality, I'm sure - where its interruptions are the defining features of the thread.

Anyway, to get the thread back on track, Jadeja ofc best Indian test cricketer obvs.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Dude I have spent a lot of time trying to logically convince you that maintaining a high average over a larger number of matches is tougher bit easier, and atleast would not add 3 points to ABD’s average. Again it is tougher to maintain a higher average over more number of matches, so for you to assume that Kohli is lucky to play extra matches to boost his average goes contrary to logic. Also Kohli’s SR is 93, and AB 101, not 80 and 95.
Any evidence for "playing more reduces avg "? In fact, Kohli's case is opposite.
93 in easier era, 101 tougher era

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
You can compare Kohli’s first 228 matches vs AB’s 228 matches, Kohli’s AV and runs will be higher. You can say that Kohli got to play more matches in his peak, but it is harder to maintain peak performance when you can’t conserve your energy proper and have a higher workload to manage, it doesn’t end up boosting your average in any logical sense.
Any evidence?

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
And if you want for era adjusted: after AB’s retirement till his own 228th ODI: Kohli scored 1273@70.72. Era adjusted I’ll take 60 as average. So for first 228 ODIs: Kohli’s runs and average= 9588(at 58.10)+1273(@60)= 10861@58.4. Clearly ahead in terms of average(nearly 5), and with 1500+ runs also.

Last edited: