• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil vs Kohli

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Kohli average 76 for close to 1000 runs. Devilliers average 52 for 4000+ runs. But ofcourse Devilliers has played more at home, and Kohli has hit nearly 1000 runs there. Kohli better here as well.
I think AB faced much better bowlers than Kohli.
Did Kohli ever faced Lee, McGrath, Warne, Ajmal, Johnson, Shoaib, Murali etc etc?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Boss, I have given you stats based on your chosen measure, and proved it wrong to declare 2016-20 as easier than 2010-15. Please give reason, rather than repeating verbatim, that because of some great reason Kohli’s peak was in easier era, and this stats reason doesn’t work.
Why does batsmen averaged More in 2016 -20 then ?

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Kohli and company struggled badly when they last toured SA, losing the Test Series. Not that easy to score on our lively pitches!

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
plus averaging the same for more number of matches is a sign of better consistency which reads to run accumulation. Kohli averages 60 from 2008-18 for 216 matches, amd Devilliers in same time period for nearly 50 less matches. If you truly believed you would have averaged more playing more matches, then take any set of more than 180 or so matches from his career, and compare to Kohli’s 2008-18 matches played.
Kohli improved his average by playing more.. ABDV matched Kohli's avg without playing that many matches. Imagine his avg had he played more number of matches in that period.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
But difference between Kohli average in that era, and next best, and Devilliers average in 2010-15 ans next best is the same.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Kohli and company struggled badly when they last toured SA, losing the Test Series. Not that easy to score on our lively pitches!
Boss that is tests. Kohli scored most runs ever in a bilateral series, when Ind toured SA for ODIs in 2018.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Kohli improved his average by playing more.. ABDV matched Kohli's avg without playing that many matches. Imagine his avg had he played more number of matches in that period.
Take any no of matches in Deviliers career close to 180 or more during which he averaged 60. Inside Devilliers career: 2008-18, Kohli averaged 60 for 216 matches. Now you can say, Kohli’s average got boosted from 2016-8. Why didn’t the same happen for ABD? Because 2016-18 was the last leg of his career. But I can say this at the start of 2008-18, Kohli was a debutant also, while by that time ABD has played for 3 years. Find me any series of 180 matches or more from 2005-18 during which ABD has averaged 60, because he has played 228 matches. In Kohli’s career, he has averaged 60 for 242/268 matches, a much higher proportion than ABD’s of 169/228. Also if you say Kohli played more matches at this period of 2008-28 than ABD(and generally more matches at his peak)and hence scored more, playing more matches per year also causes higher workload. It is easier to maintain form as well as peak during your peak playing lesser matches per year, so you can conserve your energy. So the fact Kohli played more and averaged the same in his peak and this time period of 2008-18, is a point to him.

Last edited:

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Take any no of matches in Deviliers career close to 180 or more during which he averaged 60. Inside Devilliers career: 2008-18, Kohli averaged 60 for 216 matches. Now you can say, Kohli’s average got boosted from 2016-8. Why didn’t the same happen for ABD? Because 2016-18 was the last leg of his career. But I can say this at the start of 2008-18, Kohli was a debutant also, while by that time ABD has played for 3 years. Find me any series of 180 matches or more from 2005-18 during which ABD has averaged 60, because he has played 228 matches. In Kohli’s career, he has averaged 60 for 242/268 matches, a much higher proportion than ABD’s of 169/228. Also if you say Kohli played more matches at this period of 2008-28 than ABD(and generally more matches at his peak)and hence scored more, playing more matches per year also causes higher workload. It is easier to maintain form as well as peak during your peak playing lesser matches per year, so you can conserve your energy. So the fact Kohli played more and averaged the same in his peak and this time period of 2008-18, is a point to him.
Hey...I think we must avoid comparing players from different era because the game is always evolving, the rules and playing environment are not the same. It's just my opinion.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Actually Warne dominated him. Akhtar got better of him. He dominated lee and Johnson but lee was in the tail end of his career. Don't know much about Murali, McGrath or Ajmal.

Can u recall the players who always dominated these world class bowlers?
Don't think so anyone dominated all of these bowlers. Probably Sachin got the closest but he struggled against McGrath.