• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs. Dravid

bunny

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The average of Dravid's 100s is 186

The average of Kallis' 100s is 204
Did you ignore not outs? How can Kallis average 204 when he doesnt even have a single 200? Using not-outs for big 100s inflates the average big time especially if you are only considering 100+ scores. Also it'd be good to ignore Zim and Bangla.

They both average the same (184) once you remove Zim and Bangla. And Kallis has 4 more not outs which inflates the average.
Kallis also seems to have cashed a lot against a lowly WI, and has a bogey against SL.

Last edited:
but the point is, if the opposition scores 600 and your team needs a big hundred from your main batsman who will you turn to? dravid has crossed 200, 5 times. kallis, 0 times. better put your money on rahul, mate.

Kallis is more likely to stay not out because of his higher average isn't he ?

bagapath

International Captain
honestly, i feel there is a lot more resonance to this point from other members now than when i made it first in an earlier thread. i guess the cricinfo article supporting my contention came out at the right time then. now it is an elephant in the room no one can ignore.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Did you ignore not outs? How can Kallis average 204 when he doesnt even have a single 200? Using not-outs for big 100s inflates the average big time especially if you are only considering 100+ scores.
Its possible for Kallis's 100+ average to be higher even without taking not outs into account, bunny.

who needs a 100 not out when you need 200 to get closer to the opposition score? cricket is played for a team not for individual glory.
Dravid will give you a 186 out. Kallis on the other hand will give you 102* and 102. Which one of the two will help more ?

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
A statistical chink, that is all. Like I said, Kallis' average of centuries is 28 runs > Dravid's. It's the same as asking why Viv Richards, Ponting, SRT and Dravid don't have triples. I would say it's a statistical aberration especially if you look at some of the no-names that have doubles and triples.
well.... when SRT and BCL are compared Lara's triple century and the 400 n.o. do come into equation. the fact that he could do what the other great names you have mentioned in the post does give him additional points. no one can deny that.

bagapath

International Captain
Dravid will give you a 186 out. Kallis on the other hand will give you 102* and 112. Which one of the two will help more ?
first one. kallis might lead me to a follow on. and a slender lead in second innings. and i will lose. with dravid i am not batting again. much safer.

well.... when SRT and BCL are compared Lara's triple century and the 400 n.o. do come into equation. the fact that he could do what the other great names you have mentioned in the post does give him additional points. no one can deny that.

I did mention that having doubles is better than not having them. But for me, the really big scores don't really matter when judging a batsman because they speak more for the batsman's endurance than skill. And there are a lot of other factors involved like the kind of team you are in, the captain you have etc

first one. kallis might lead me to a follow on. and a slender lead in second innings. and i will lose. with dravid i am not batting again. much safer.
Kallis scores more than Dravid overall and remains unbeaten in one of the innings. Surely scoring more runs and remaining unbeaten helps the team more than scoring less runs and getting out ?

bunny

Its possible for Kallis's 100+ average to be higher even without taking not outs into account, bunny.
I was questioning how Kallis can have a 200+ average when he hasnt scored a 200. Obviously it's because he has too many not-outs which usually means too many flat wickets or lowly teams. Once you remove Zim and Bangla, Kallis's average drops down big time (still the notouts remain that he compiled against the lowly WI).

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Why would he be a lesser player? Surely not because of the pure fact of the number 200, but because of the importance of the runs. I am sure there are many 150 scores that could have the same effect on a match..
Yeah, there are many, just that Dravid has been involved in so many where even a 150 wouldn't probably have been enough. The 180 at Kolkata was a superb innings by itself, but it wouldn't have altered much were it not for the fact that 281 had been added from the other end too. The 233 at Adelaide comes to mind. The extra 83 runs made a lot of difference to India's last innings chase. Ponting scored a huge double again in the very next test, who knows how it might have panned out had he scored a 150 instead? I know these are statistically rare instances, but almost every great batsman has managed a great innings' or two out of those opportunities. Kallis hasn't. There isn't a definitive Kallis innings to speak of twenty years down the road. It isn't much to speak of when comparing batsmen averaging 40 and 50, but when its as close as this, it should count, imo.

bunny

And why should I ignore not outs ? How is Kallis at fault if he scores say 160* and the captain declares ?

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com
I already posted his stats against Zim and Bangla inflate his average which you seemed to have ignored. Not-outs inflate one's average when counting only 100+ scores because a 150* per say is counted almost equivalent to a 300 out (You can do the math and figure that out). This is a big boost. It doesnt matter that much when you calculate an overall average, but if you are only calculating 100+ average, a not out leads to a big big boost.

bagapath

International Captain
Kallis scores more than Dravid overall and remains unbeaten in one of the innings. Surely scoring more runs and remaining unbeaten helps the team more than scoring less runs and getting out ?
if you translate your example into a real match situation dravid's team will not lose. but kallis' team can.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I already posted his stats against Zim and Bangla inflate his average which you seemed to have ignored. Not-outs inflate one's average when counting only 100+ scores because a 150* per say is counted almost equivalent to a 300 out (You can do the math and figure that out). This is a big boost. It doesnt matter that much when you calculate an overall average, but if you are only calculating 100+ average, a not out leads to a big big boost.
Kallis still averages higher than Dravid when you remove minnows from both.

1. So Dravid cannot inflate his average against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh ?
2. Why doesn't Dravid manage to stay not out if it's so easy ? The batsman should be given credit for staying not out.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
if you translate your example into a real match situation dravid's team will not lose. but kallis' team can.
That's a big stretch. Depends on the match entirely. In normal conditions, those scores posted by Avada, Kallis has done better.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Well, if we split Dravid's 5 double hundreds into 10 hundreds(for no particular reason), he has 38 hundreds with Kallis still with 32 100s. I dunno why I said that btw. Off to bed.