• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonny Bairstow apology thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't even start the Atherton discussion, c'mon. And I've rated Bairstow higher than most.

Flem274*

123/5
Karuna is just Latham with 2-3 good knocks tbf.
Karunaratne is a genuine gun now.

Thinking about his big knock on a bouncy deck with swing here makes me list off just how many Sri Lankan knocks are up there in the best I've seen watching live. Sri Lankan batsmen don't half arse their impressive centuries these days. It's doing it twice in a row that seems to be the issue for guys not called Sangakkara.

trundler

Thinking about his big knock on a bouncy deck with swing here makes me list off just how many Sri Lankan knocks are up there in the best I've seen watching live. Sri Lankan batsmen don't half arse their impressive centuries these days. It's doing it twice in a row that seems to be the issue for guys not called Sangakkara.
I was thinking about this the other day. I've thought of both men as guys who at least cash in when the going is easy which is more than you can say about most openers these days. Both are much better home than away and cash in heavily against yer West Indies and hapless Pakistani attacks of late. Karunaratne has more gun knocks for sure: tons in SA and India in very bowler dominated series but he also fails more often. I think they're about par except one is in good form right now and the other isn't.

Gob

International Coach
I was thinking about this the other day. I've thought of both men as guys who at least cash in when the going is easy which is more than you can say about most openers these days. Both are much better home than away and cash in heavily against yer West Indies and hapless Pakistani attacks of late. Karunaratne has more gun knocks for sure: tons in SA and India in very bowler dominated series but he also fails more often. I think they're about par except one is in good form right now and the other isn't.
When?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
During the time they both opened Atherton had a superior record didn't he? It was only from halfway through the '97 ashes that Atherton's output nosedived, and from that point Stewart was no longer opening
I don't know whether that's true actually. tbf I tend to remember the good bits, so that's Stewart's twin hundreds in Barbados and wonderful innings against Pakistan in 1992. There may well have been lots of dross too even when he was opening.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In b4 hb claims him
Since you asked....

You mean like in Mumbai when they forced Moeen to front up after 53 overs coz Stokes might get injured after that enormous workload of 10 overs out of 190 or whatever?

I get why they do this and I get that they rate him as a bowler but to me the lad has all the tools to be one of the best middle order batsmen of this generation. The future of England lies in the middle order of Root, Stokes, Bairstow and the sooner they get rid of their additional loads, the better. Stokes can be used as a partnership breaker and a bowler to try reverse swing when other stuff fails but he is a lot more Kallis or Watson than Flintoff if you get my drift. And they need to figure out if Buttler can be a full time test match batsman keeper as well. Given the ridiculous depth Moeen, Stokes and Woakes give this side, I think they should make him a full time #7 keeper.

TheJediBrah

NZ attack is minnow now though

Kirkut

International Regular
Atherton was ideally suited to situations where the pitches were very difficult to bat on and the opposition having 3-4 genuine quick bowlers, typical rear guard material. He was certainly lowest in the priority when it came to openers making the best use of the new ball and scoring quick runs on day one of a test match.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I obviously speak for all Australians when I say that his legacy will forever be tarnished by his inability to score a hundred on Australian soi....oh wait.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes indeed. So by Australian logic....... Bairstow > Root.

Really is a shame we can't grow this game outside of Australia innit.