• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root resigns as captain

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Root is a great batsman and one of the great test captain bats...the problem is he was a terrible captain. Poor tactical decisions, couldn't stand up for the best possible selections, barely moved on from the Cook era, failed to rebuild a fading bowling attack and home to one of the worst batting line ups England has had in decades, maybe ever.

Who could replace him? Maybe Stokes but is he a tactical master, probably not but its the best there is for now.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
Root is a great batsman and one of the great test captain bats...the problem is he was a terrible captain. Poor tactical decisions, couldn't stand up for the best possible selections, barely moved on from the Cook era, failed to rebuild a fading bowling attack and home to one of the worst batting line ups England has had in decades, maybe ever.

Who could replace him? Maybe Stokes but is he a tactical master, probably not but its the best there is for now.
Why is that Root's fault?
And their bowling attack is actually okay - they do lack a very good spinner but eh. Fitness is an issue (this is partly down to him though!)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Broad will have it short-term and Lees will be the longer-term captain next year. Can also see Foakes being a left-field choice but think that's extremely slim

tooextracool

International Coach
Why is that Root's fault?
And their bowling attack is actually okay - they do lack a very good spinner but eh. Fitness is an issue (this is partly down to him though!)
I don't see how Root can be responsible for his batters' limitations - maybe you could argue from a selection POV but even that is really more down to the coach (or when they had one, the chief selector). As a captain, the biggest responsibility involves how you marshal your team on the field but, with Root, it's really a waste of breath discussing his match nous.

As far as our batting frailties are concerned, there is little doubt that almost every batsman bar Root has regressed over the past couple of years. I can't see how a good batting coach cannot sort out Ollie Pope. The guy is a generational talent that is being wasted at the international level. Ideally, I'd like to see more of Ben Duckett and Joe Clarke and less of Vince/Malan/Lawrence etc. who either have technical or temperamental frailties. I think Crawley has lots of technical issues too and would benefit from working with someone that can help him tighten up his technique particularly on the drive and/or potentially shelving the big booming drive early in his innings

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
The batting coaches have been 'insiders', haven't they? Thorpe, Trescothick. These were guys who got every ounce from their talent, so I'm amazed they couldn't do the same for others. Pope is a potential world-class bat. His regression since SA away is crazy. But if you can turn it around, you've got a guy as good as Root imo. Duckett really should be back in the top three. When you're outside of Asia anyway,

tooextracool

International Coach
Think Broad will have it short-term and Lees will be the longer-term captain next year. Can also see Foakes being a left-field choice but think that's extremely slim
My personal view is that Foakes may actually be the best choice in the near term, you can at least be confident that you'll get a reliable keeper and at worst a capable but underperforming batsman. The issue with Broad is that his selection complicates Anderson's return to the team, I think the idea of playing both of them in the same side this summer is something that is no longer tenable - at least under the baseline assumption that Robinson is fit and we aren't playing a 4 man pace attack.

Also, given the lack thereof of remarkable captaincy options in English cricket, I don't think it really matters who the test captain is under a competent coaching team. As long as it's not someone who is not clearly detrimental to the team's progress i.e. Root

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That would be a hell of a turn around to drop a guy for a tour then make him captain. Can't see that happening - especially if he's being left out based on how he is in the environment (because it can't be his bowling)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That would be a hell of a turn around to drop a guy for a tour then make him captain. Can't see that happening - especially if he's being left out based on how he is in the environment (because it can't be his bowling)
I don't think Key's chunterings are too promising for A&B's future, despite the fact that they're still better (and faster, incredibly) than Woakes and Overton. That is if Key gets whichever role he's been rumoured for.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Such an English cricket move to appoint Rob Key, when it's clearly obvious to the rest of the world that they need someone from outside the establishment who is willing to bring fresh thinking and not conform to the English way of doing things, which has got them to where they are now.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Such an English cricket move to appoint Rob Key, when it's clearly obvious to the rest of the world that they need someone from outside the establishment who is willing to bring fresh thinking and not conform to the English way of doing things, which has got them to where they are now.
World champions?

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
I can't see how a good batting coach cannot sort out Ollie Pope. The guy is a generational talent that is being wasted at the international level.
Do people on this site not know what generational talent means? Because I can tell you that Pope isn’t one of them.