• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root resigns as captain

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this is a very generous assessment of highly physically talented and very competitive 22-25 year old males tbh

and not much less generous towards 25-35 males of the same group.
if they picked a name out of the hat and that name proceeded to win the toss, bowl first and open with a spinner with an in-out field I'll eat said hat. We need to remember the first part of Richie's famed "captaincy is 90 per cent luck and 10 per cent skill" quote...

with all the problems in the male professional game in England, forcing out Root needlessly creates another (and not even forced out for the reason he could have been! #questionstoanswer)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
That would be a hell of a turn around to drop a guy for a tour then make him captain. Can't see that happening - especially if he's being left out based on how he is in the environment (because it can't be his bowling)
Yeah thats fair. The only circumstances I could see the ECB justify this is by saying Broad wasn't dropped for the Windies tour, but that it was used as a rebuild and 'to look at other options' for when he retires. I don't necessarily agree with this (hypothetical) stance, but I do think Broad would be a genuinely good short-term option

Plus, Strauss never put a line through his career after the announcement, which he could well have done if he was completely ruthless. The door is still open, which for a 35 year old fast bowler with a known history of injury problems is quite a statement

jcas0167

International Debutant
A 35 year old with 537 test wickets :-) Broad bowled pretty well in Australia without any injury issues. Agree he would be a reasonable short-term option. Would presumably have the respect of the players and lead from the front.

FBU

International Debutant
Yeah thats fair. The only circumstances I could see the ECB justify this is by saying Broad wasn't dropped for the Windies tour, but that it was used as a rebuild and 'to look at other options' for when he retires. I don't necessarily agree with this (hypothetical) stance, but I do think Broad would be a genuinely good short-term option

Plus, Strauss never put a line through his career after the announcement, which he could well have done if he was completely ruthless. The door is still open, which for a 35 year old fast bowler with a known history of injury problems is quite a statement
Broad is the least injury prone bowler. Tore his calf in Aug 2021. Before that broken rib in Sep 2018.