• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Even Trent Boult who I have always thought is a really good bowler. Averages almost 40 against Australia and over 40 against South Africa but he is lucky enough to have played more Tests against Sri Lanka and West Indies than against either of those two.
I'm not making excuses for him but he has had major injuries just prior to playing Australia.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Check out these sneaky NZers trying to take advantage of the Anderson truthing to put Wagner/Southee/Boult in Anderson's bracket.
I'd only put Wagner in his bracket.

Boult and Southee are more in the Mitchell Starc, Morne Morkel, Stuart Broad bracket.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not making excuses for him but he has had major injuries just prior to playing Australia.
Jimmy broke a rib in October 2010. Good job he didn't put in a stellar display in a five Test series away to Australia (incorporating a trip home in the middle) afterwards.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, this is what I think.

I've said in the past that Anderson is overrated because I think he's on the same level of effectiveness/success as a few other bowlers like Vass or Broad but he seems to be a lot more in control of what he is doing which people translate to him being more skillful.

Even I think that the idea of him being a middle of the road trier is a nonsense though.
Hmmm. I think that the older I get, the more I respect longevity. Especially with fast bowling, which is inherently very difficult to do without destroying your body.

Maybe it's why there's a very distinct difference between England fans (or to include myself, fans in an English timezone) and everyone else. With away bowlers, you see them play a handful of tests once every few years, and largely judge them based on how many problems they cause in those tests. When I think about the great bowlers I've seen over the past decade from other teams, the ones that stick out (other than the ATGs) didn't necessarily have long or consistent careers. Asif, Cummins, Johnson. Bowlers that instantly make you think holy ****ing **** this guy's good.

But with the team you follow it's different. You're constantly monitoring your test lineup, and there are always injuries, gaps, players with question marks hanging over them. So many fast bowlers especially excite then disappoint, look great then break down, remodel their actions to prevent injury and then aren't as effective, end up drifting in and out of the team. England have had Jones, Sidebottom, Bresnan, Tremlett, Finn, Wood, Onions, just off the top of my head. It's only a minority of players who can bowl fast sustainably. In that context, having a seriously good test bowler playing almost every game for over a decade is just absolutely massive. It gives the team so so much.

Vaas is an interesting one, because he had the exact same quality. I was a huge fan, and I'd bet he's rated much higher in Sri Lanka than he is elsewhere too. But I don't think he was quite as good as Anderson.

Flem274*

123/5
insulting tim southee to big up spamderson isn't the way to get at me brits. ive long considered southee's spot the most vulnerable.

he's an equal bowler to anderson with far less opportunity because he plays for the wrong team.

also who was bigging up mark wood and sam curran as serious place competition on the prev page? ****in lol, if those ****s are a threat to an 'atg fast bowler' then england is a shambles. just purchase lockie ferguson and kyle jamieson already like you did morgan, archer and caddick.

Groundking

International Debutant
Jimmy broke a rib in October 2010. Good job he didn't put in a stellar display in a five Test series away to Australia (incorporating a trip home in the middle) afterwards.
He also played 3 tests with a broken rib in 2013/14 too.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
insulting tim southee to big up spamderson isn't the way to get at me brits. ive long considered southee's spot the most vulnerable.

he's an equal bowler to anderson with far less opportunity because he plays for the wrong team.

also who was bigging up mark wood and sam curran as serious place competition on the prev page? ****in lol, if those ****s are a threat to an 'atg fast bowler' then england is a shambles. just purchase lockie ferguson and kyle jamieson already like you did morgan, archer and caddick.
Have a spell mate, it wasn't us that brought Southee into this, and if you seriously think hes JA equal then there's not much I can say to you, cept maybe lay off the gear pal

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And yet it does defend him. Why so hesitant to defend him?
The old 'x subcontinent bowler would have been so much better if they played for 'y' SANE country' argument is an annoying one. Both Kapil and Vaas were worse overseas and worst in England. But it doesn't have any bearing on Anderson's own ability and reduced effectiveness overseas.

Flem274*

123/5
concisely put.

Next person to mention Southee gets points.
nah, this isn't a retirement thread, we don't have to pull punches. if the below opinion isn't allowed to be expressed with examples who may or may not include chaminda vaas and he who slogs sixes then this forum may as well be the ecb website.

james anderson is a very good bowler a level below atg because he has some very obvious flaws, namely a strong preference for home conditions and the duke ball. his reputation has greatly benefited from playing for the nation who play the most test matches with conditions that also advantage him, and he is promoted above other bowlers of equal skill because he plays all the time for a major cricket media nation.

also i am not a person so i have full rein to mention tim southee free from tyranny.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Weird that Wagner chose New Zealand really.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anderson bowled a really good spell in Mumbai that 2012 series which turned things around but was mostly unpenetrative tbh which is reflected in him averaging 3 wickets a match @ 30 each.

There's about half a dozen fast bowlers at least who have done a lot better in India in the last decade and Anderson was not a stand out at all.

Dhoni's statement as a losing captain is not something I would attach a lot to weight to tbh.
Nah, your post smacks of not having watched the series live. The reason MSD even mentioned that was because while the spinners were roughly equal in ability, Anderson was the point of difference which meant the batsmen could not get away against the seam which led to them trying to be more assertive against spin and losing out. England simply sat on our spinners (apart from KP in Mumbai) and I think especially in Kolkata, Anderson was a class above. It is one thing to state that one series does not make up for the rest of his unimpressive figures in the other tours but to state he was not a point of difference between the sides during that series is silly revisionism.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I did watch the series live tbh - nearly every ball because I was in college back then. I thought he had one awesome innings and was a very good support bowler holding the scoring for the rest of the series.

I wouldn't say it was a particularly extraordinary performance by a visiting pacer, not at all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
james anderson is a very good bowler a level below atg because he has some very obvious flaws
Then what are we even arguing about? It is what I said and it seems to be what Adders, GIMH and other English fans are saying too. You call it the "Very good" tier, I happen to call it the "great" tier, coz I think ATG is anyways a level above.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wouldn't say it was a particularly extraordinary performance by a visiting pacer, not at all.
Not from an Indian fans' perspecive, having been rek'd by Steyn twice. But if you are an English fan and have never seen England even be competitive in India and then this series win comes along its pretty clear why you would think it was an extraordinary performance from their lead seamer, who basically was a point of difference between the sides, especially given how awful our own seamers were.