• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not from an Indian fans' perspecive, having been rek'd by Steyn twice. But if you are an English fan and have never seen England even be competitive in India and then this series win comes along its pretty clear why you would think it was an extraordinary performance from their lead seamer, who basically was a point of difference between the sides, especially given how awful our own seamers were.
Yes, from an English perspective it would be extraordinary. But we’re trying to be objective here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes, from an English perspective it would be extraordinary. But we’re trying to be objective here.
Objective of what? I think the fact that he played a key role in England winning a series in India should mean a lot when ranking his greatness. I pointed it out earlier, to me entry to the great tier need not have achievements that need to be ranked relatively. His achievements on their own make him a great cricketer to me. The fact that were other ATG bowlers and cricketers around that period does not make him any less great.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
insulting tim southee to big up spamderson isn't the way to get at me brits. ive long considered southee's spot the most vulnerable.

he's an equal bowler to anderson with far less opportunity because he plays for the wrong team.

also who was bigging up mark wood and sam curran as serious place competition on the prev page? ****in lol, if those ****s are a threat to an 'atg fast bowler' then england is a shambles. just purchase lockie ferguson and kyle jamieson already like you did morgan, archer and caddick.
lockie ferguson
test match wickets - 0

checks out

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the fact that he played a key role in England winning a series in India should mean a lot when ranking his greatness.
Agree

I pointed it out earlier, to me entry to the great tier need not have achievements that need to be ranked relatively.
Disagree somewhat.

Also dude respectfully, you need to stop the whole “as I said earlier” thing you keep doing. It’s like you’re assuming your point is correct and then using it as evidence to support itself.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also dude respectfully, you need to stop the whole “as I said earlier” thing you keep doing. It’s like you’re assuming your point is correct and then using it as evidence to support itself.
If you read it that way, that is not what I mean. I am simply pointing back to an earlier post which explains my reasoning and position on the issue. Nothing more, nothing less.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Can we take a step back here?

Some of the English fans seem to be strongly asserting that Jimmy isn't crap and is more than a work horse trundler who just got lucky. I don't think anyone is saying that (apart from in jest/to troll) - he clearly isn't. He's a good to great bowler with weaknesses and holes in his record.

Where I DO have a problem is anyone putting him in the same tier as someone like Courtney Walsh, who was clearly superior, was an ATG bowler himself but not in the top, top rung (unlike Ambrose).
Jimmy Anderson is in the tier below Walsh, with other ATGs/ATVGs like Kumble and co.

Jimmy does get mad points for both improving over him and for longevity though, although it's arguable other pacers would also have done the same if given the chance (i.e. playing tests and tests only for England from 2000-2020), but we'll never know.

I guess the argument stems from the use of the word ATG/ATVG so if we can all get over that, we can stop going around in circles.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Can we take a step back here?

Some of the English fans seem to be strongly asserting that Jimmy isn't crap and is more than a work horse trundler who just got lucky. I don't think anyone is saying that (apart from in jest/to troll) - he clearly isn't. He's a good to great bowler with weaknesses and holes in his record.

Where I DO have a problem is anyone putting him in the same tier as someone like Courtney Walsh, who was clearly superior, was an ATG bowler himself but not in the top, top rung (unlike Ambrose).
Jimmy Anderson is in the tier below Walsh, with other ATGs/ATVGs like Kumble and co.

Jimmy does get mad points for both improving over him and for longevity though, although it's arguable other pacers would also have done the same if given the chance (i.e. playing tests and tests only for England from 2000-2020), but we'll never know.

I guess the argument stems from the use of the word ATG/ATVG so if we can all get over that, we can stop going around in circles.
ok

Teja.

Global Moderator
1. Walsh played for 17 years and was ATG standard for that entire period. Anderson played for 17 years and came in to his own 'only' for the last 10-11 years imo. That's at least 50% longer. Walsh started off great off the bat and ended his career 17 years later bowling his best ever with no real trough.

2. I'd also argue that the last decade, and especially the conditions Anderson bowled in does not fit into the 'conditions are batting friendly paradigm' that the 00s fit more easily into.

3. Walsh was an awesome performer across the world, home or away and regardless of bowling surface or bowling position. He was dominant in the sub-continent, at a time when conditions were not very good for seamers, for example.

I'd say if anything Walsh is a bit underappreciated considering how so many other ATG fast bowlers were 'only' really good for a decade or so.

Anderson is not quite in his league imo.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
is this the widely accepted order for the WI fast bowlers from 1970-2000?

Marshall
Ambrose
Holding = Garner
Roberts
Walsh
Croft
Bishop
Clarke
Patterson
Winston Benjamin
the rest

Teja.

Global Moderator
Walsh > Roberts imo. Roberts gets more credit than anyone else for being the first but he wasn't quite as good as the rest.