• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't buy that Walsh was a better bowler than Anderson.

Walsh has the better average, yeah. But that's basically by virtue of having a lower economy rate - which you can attribute to him being more of a back of a length bounce bowler for most of his career. Anderson has the slightly better strike rate (bowled fuller), played longer, more wickets. Walsh definitely more consistent across most of his career, although he buttoned off to become very military medium at the back-end whereas Anderson is more of a threat. I'd say neither deserves to be higher in the ATG category. Different bowlers.

Steyn definitely deserves to be higher for his insane ability to swing it and bowl express pace (hence the low 40s strike rate). But then again, his longevity and consistency of being on the field isn't at Anderson's or Walsh's. Similar for Waqar.

the big bambino

International Captain
Interestingly, Walsh’s stats are almost identical with and without Ambrose, whereas Anderson averages 34 without Broad in the side, and 25 with him.
And marshall? and garner? and holding ..? I've seen him bowl without that support and flat pitches. he wasn't a threat.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
And marshall? and garner? and holding ..? I've seen him bowl without that support and flat pitches. he wasn't a threat.
Once again, without any of these blokes in the side his stats still don’t differ by much. I personally wouldn’t judge someone for getting smashed by one of the greatest teams of all time, or for having a bad one off test.

the big bambino

International Captain
Once again, without any of these blokes in the side his stats still don’t differ by much. I personally wouldn’t judge someone for getting smashed by one of the greatest teams of all time, or for having a bad one off test.
Yeah but, not being with at least one of them was pretty rare. He was more fortunate than Anderson. Accounts for alot of the difference between them.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Never heard of this chap Geoff Miller who's apparently the most successful off-spinner over there in living memory
Geoff Miller played in 34 Tests taking 69 wickets at an average of around 30. However, against Australia he took 39 wickets @ 21.9 in 14 Tests but against West Indies, India and Pakistan he averaged 58.7 in taking 14 wickets in 15 Tests. His other 5 Tests were against NZ (7w @ 27.0). He was a useful bat making 7 fifties.

Reactions: vcs

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but, not being with at least one of them was pretty rare. He was more fortunate than Anderson. Accounts for alot of the difference between them.
Seems like you’re overstating the importance of good support bowlers to me. Despite relatively little support we all know how good Murali and Hadlee’s records are, and how they compare to other greats. The fact is that the difference, which is fairly significant imo, between Walsh and Anderson is because Walsh was a more skilled and consistent bowler.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
On the topic of support, Alec Bedser didn't have too many big name bowlers assisting him in the immediate Post War period. Doug Wright and Trevor Bailey were military-medium and Statham, Trueman and Tyson didn't arrive until the latter part of his career. Tyson's performances in the 54-55 Ashes series virtually spelt the end of Bedser's Test career.
Granted, Jim Laker and Johnny Wardle played in the late '40s but their best performances came in the '50s.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Geoff Miller played in 34 Tests taking 69 wickets at an average of around 30. However, against Australia he took 39 wickets @ 21.9 in 14 Tests but against West Indies, India and Pakistan he averaged 58.7 in taking 14 wickets in 15 Tests. His other 5 Tests were against NZ (7w @ 27.0). He was a useful bat making 7 fifties.
Looked it up and he played 1978-83 with Beefy and Willis.

the big bambino

International Captain
On the topic of support, Alec Bedser didn't have too many big name bowlers assisting him in the immediate Post War period. Doug Wright and Trevor Bailey were military-medium and Statham, Trueman and Tyson didn't arrive until the latter part of his career. Tyson's performances in the 54-55 Ashes series virtually spelt the end of Bedser's Test career.
Granted, Jim Laker and Johnny Wardle played in the late '40s but their best performances came in the '50s.
Not to disagree with any of that except Wright was a leggie. though quicker than most.