• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah unless Waqar's going to take 8 for 0 can't see that changing
I was more thinking for Waqar's personal reputation than trying to change the winning team. If he'd played a big part of the attack there he might have been even more fondly remembered. As it is he has nine excellent years and a few chaos ones at the end

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waqar post-injury became Jimmy Anderson, that would be a pretty fair assessment IMO. I remember some of his spells in England (think he took a 7-fer once), classic outswing bowling.

This is the match I'm referring to, it's an ODI but the point stands.

vcs

I was more thinking for Waqar's personal reputation than trying to change the winning team. If he'd played a big part of the attack there he might have been even more fondly remembered. As it is he has nine excellent years and a few chaos ones at the end
He was a pretty amazing bowler but suffers a bit from the "didn't live up to his reputation at the WC" syndrome. For example, he destroyed us numerous times in other tri-series etc. but got hit around in the two big WC matches where we faced Pakistan.

OMG I'm turning into Burgey

Burgey

I don’t rate Waqar as highly as many do here because he never really performed that well when he played out here. He also played in an era before there was blanket coverage from everywhere so I missed a lot of his Great performances.

beginning to think I’ve been a bit tough on him tbh. He toured here very young then again post-injury when he wasn’t as good a bowler any more.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
waqars an interesting one

phenomenal peak but my word he feasted on something average batting during that time

made Lara look silly tho

the big bambino

International Captain
He also has a far more well rounded record and was far more successful against the best teams of his time. Simple look at their home and away records really spells out the difference between them tbh.

Walsh
Home - 229 wickets @ 23.70
Away - 290 wickets @ 25.03

Anderson
Home - 384 wickets @ 23.83
Away - 216 wickets @ 32.05
I'm not arguing a comparison with Anderson. Just that he had advantages Anderson never did that may exaggerate a preference over him. He may just have been luckier. Mainly in the support he had and bowling in a friendlier era. Whereas Anderson has had to do some hard slog in a batting era. I've seen Walsh, at times, when he's been alone as a bowler and he's looked very manageable - like Anderson in certain circumstances.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not arguing a comparison with Anderson. Just that he had advantages Anderson never did that may exaggerate a preference over him. He may just have been luckier. Mainly in the support he had and bowling in a friendlier era. Whereas Anderson has had to do some hard slog in a batting era. I've seen Walsh, at times, when he's been alone as a bowler and he's looked very manageable - like Anderson in certain circumstances.
Interestingly, Walsh’s stats are almost identical with and without Ambrose, whereas Anderson averages 34 without Broad in the side, and 25 with him.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Interestingly, his stats are almost identical with and without Ambrose.
Yep, he's MASSIVELY underrated on here. Again, putting him and Jimmy Anderson in the same bracket is really laughable. He is a level below true ATG (could be considered ATG but whatever - let's say a level below), but really he should be a level above 'AVTG'.
I'm not sure what other bowlers fit that category - I think someone here mentioned there was discussion in an earlier thread about Walsh sort of being the only bowler in his own category like that.

Has a very good S/R, good to great average (but not phenomenal), good home and away averages, was consistent pretty much everywhere and against every team that he played a decent number of games against (not great in Australia but neither was Ambrose), good WPM (but not greta), had longevity and the wickets to go with it as a world record holder, and even year to year, was good all the way through to the end too, and he didn't really have any huge peaks or insane troughs - just pretty much consistently at 20-30 average kind of bowler.

I'm not even sure how to compare him for the younger generation - a sort of ATG Morne Morkel?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Interestingly, Walsh’s stats are almost identical with and without Ambrose, whereas Anderson averages 34 without Broad in the side, and 25 with him.
That is not fair though, as he hit his prime just as Broad emerged. I am sure he benefitted by having Broad as anyone would but I would actually argue the impact Anderson has had on Broad's career is much much more than the other way around.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
That is not fair though, as he hit his prime just as Broad emerged. I am sure he benefitted by having Broad as anyone would but I would actually argue the impact Anderson has had on Broad's career is much much more than the other way around.
Am not necessarily drawing any conclusions like that from it, just found it an interesting stat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, it is fair to point out he played a decent chunk of games in the noughties but it is also fair to recognize that by the time he became the leader of the attack, it was no longer the batting friendly era it was just before that.