• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson

halba

International 12th Man
Seems like time is up for Jimmy. He's over 40 and playing like that. He looks done, just not penetrating and he's only bowling 130kph. Atleast he's not going for plenty but not taking any wickets. This ashes series is proving to be a graveyard for eng pace attack.

Time to retire, and bring in Woakes, Woakes should've played this test.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
It is getting harder for Anderson but I reckon he will still have something to offer in this series.

My opinion is that he wants to overtake Warnie's wickets total before calling it a day.

As for Woakes the selectors just don't seem interested at present. I'm sure he will play more tests but they seem to favour players like Tongue and Potts at the moment.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
It's a tough one , but I think it's unfair to bring his age up after a few bad games which can happen to any seamer .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a tough one , but I think it's unfair to bring his age up after a few bad games which can happen to any seamer .
Unfortunately it’s always going to be brought up with anyone getting close to the end.

All jokes aside, he’s been an incredible servant for England and his last few years amazing. But age gets you fast in sport, and it could finally be getting him.

The issue for the side is his lack of output this series affects the balance of the team a lot more than a batsman’s does. Even allowing for Ali’s injury, if Anderson was bowling to his usual standard I don’t know if England would have played four quicks here. They could have taken a punt on the young leggie or Dawson(?) and had a better balanced team rather than having effectively 4.5 RFM medium bowlers as insurance.

He may well turn it around, and regardless he really deserves to go out on his terms after all he’s done, but it’s the elephant in the room for England as things stand rn imho.

Burgey

Admittedly I only saw highlights but didn't look like he bowled badly at all. Could easily have been one of those 2-29 days which is classic Anderson in this last part of his career.

Robinson is the one who looked like he was well off it yesterday.
Honestly it was the least threatening I’ve seen Anderson look in those conditions ever. He hooped a few early to be fair but it kind of felt like they were always trying to manage his work rather than him ripping in as he’d like to. Todays another day though, he could well find his rhythm and it all falls into place for him

Uppercut

Admittedly I only saw highlights but didn't look like he bowled badly at all. Could easily have been one of those 2-29 days which is classic Anderson in this last part of his career.

Robinson is the one who looked like he was well off it yesterday.
Yeah I've posted before on how rarely he goes for runs this past decade. Lots of innings where England give up 450 and Anderson comes out with something like 1/40 off 22 overs. It's what pushed him into the absolute elite in his 30s because the magic spells aren't new.

The concern isn't the quality of his bowling though, it's how heavily his workload is being managed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Unfortunately it’s always going to be brought up with anyone getting close to the end.

All jokes aside, he’s been an incredible servant for England and his last few years amazing. But age gets you fast in sport, and it could finally be getting him.

The issue for the side is his lack of output this series affects the balance of the team a lot more than a batsman’s does. Even allowing for Ali’s injury, if Anderson was bowling to his usual standard I don’t know if England would have played four quicks here. They could have taken a punt on the young leggie or Dawson(?) and had a better balanced team rather than having effectively 4.5 RFM medium bowlers as insurance.

He may well turn it around, and regardless he really deserves to go out on his terms after all he’s done, but it’s the elephant in the room for England as things stand rn imho.
He was spooked by Head.

S P O O K E D
P
O
O
K
E
D

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think its too early to say Jimmy's days are numbered after 1 and half tests of this series.

He was poor in the 1st test and wasn't at his best yesterday. Is that just a couple of poor tests or the start of a more permanent decline - who knows.

I'd be surprised if Jimmy carried on playing if deep down he knew he wasn't worth his place in the team.

Obviously the end won't be too far away but I think we have to trust the player to be honest with the management and above all with himself to acknowledge when his time is up.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We have nicknamed him Thaatha (grandpa)...

I am reminded of a game we used to play as kindergarten kids. Thaatha Thaatha mani enna (Grandpa Grandpa, what's the time)...

Maybe its indeed time for this grandpa.

@Shri and @CricAddict should remember this game. :p

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If England win this series (a big "if" indeed) he should definitely call time imo. Won't have a better opportunity to go out. Wouldn't want to have to go through a long and undignified decline into decrepitude (i.e. the Tendulkar approach to retirement).

Burgey

If England win this series (a big "if" indeed) he should definitely call time imo. Won't have a better opportunity to go out. Wouldn't want to have to go through a long and undignified decline into decrepitude (i.e. the Tendulkar approach to retirement).
It would be a perfect retirement

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Not been at his best this series, but it's hard to see any real decline over the last few seasons besides some stiffness when fielding. In the last year, he still averages 20 with the ball. I think he might rotate out for the next test though.

loterry1994

International Debutant
This guy gonna go on forever as long as England gonna keep giving green tops at home. His fitness is pretty crazy though playing that much tests

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Didn't realise Woakes's last test was in Grenada last March when Kyle Mayers suffocated the English batters (and again proving that Joe Root's kryptonite is De Grandhomme-esque medium pace).