• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Rudolph signs 3 year deal with Yorkshire

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Back on topic, I really hope Rudolph works on his leg spin while in England. I've seen him bowl a few times and he's clearly not horrible - he just bowls too defensively for mine, but that's because he's only given the ball when the batsmen are dominating I guess. Given English domestic batsmen are poor players of leg spin, I'd like to see him really work on it. He could develop into a batting allrounder which would be very handy for South Africa as it would give them the option of playing four quicks as they seem to love doing.

Obviously the primary focus will be on his batting but I think it's a good chance for him to develop those leggies as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given English domestic batsmen are poor players of leg spin, I'd like to see him really work on it.
They're good enough to dispatch mediocre spin though. Cameron White was rather ineffective and he's supposedly the post-MacGill option for Australia.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They're good enough to dispatch mediocre spin though. Cameron White was rather ineffective and he's supposedly the post-MacGill option for Australia.
I have let it be known several times that I really don't rate White's bowling at all so this isn't saying much, but I seriously think Rudolph's bowling has more potential.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And of course no bowler in the history of the game has ever improved from when they were younger.
At what point did I say that Cameron White won't improve? The point hardly has a thing to do with White as compared to Rudolph.
Clearly you read what you want to, with your blatantly pro-Australian shades on. I was stating a point that county cricket isn't so horrible against wristspin that they can't dispatch average quality. And I dare you to claim with any evidence that Cameron White is anything but a very very average wristspinner. What he becomes in the future is inconsequential to the present. Take off the shades, mate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given English domestic batsmen are poor players of leg spin
How to make the sweeping generalisation...

English domestic batsmen are poor against good wristspin, not part-time lob-ups, which to date Rudolph has bowled nothing more than.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBF White is being looked at as a batting all-rounder in the hope that his spin bowling eventually becomes serviceable

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Liam did say supposedly...

Is anyone really taking White's bowling seriously at this stage?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Liam did say supposedly...

Is anyone really taking White's bowling seriously at this stage?
As Oz will need a replacement for MacGill in a few years, selectors definitely want to see him progress

Would he be picked in the test team as a front-line spinner tomorrow? No

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is Cullen Bailey not a serious bowler, then, rather than a batsman who bowls (a bit).

brockley

International Captain
They reckon the rudolph signing may open up the door with a lot of current west indians,zimbabweans and south africans taking the kolpak offer to enrich their bank balance.
The ecb can't enforce the kolpak rule of not having played for 12 months for a country previously,the telegraph reckons it will result in a flood of kolpak players soon,maybe even after the world cup.The ecb has no legal foot to stand on.Counties will take advantage of this ruling for sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are plenty of ways for The ECB to make life hell for counties who put short-term gain above long-term stability - most laws can be skirted if you try hard enough.

It's a question of how seriously do The ECB want to try.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
There are plenty of ways for The ECB to make life hell for counties who put short-term gain above long-term stability - most laws can be skirted if you try hard enough.

It's a question of how seriously do The ECB want to try.
Not very it would seem, the PCA still haven't got an answer back from the ECB on how York****e were allowed to sign Rudolph.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How to make the sweeping generalisation...

English domestic batsmen are poor against good wristspin, not part-time lob-ups, which to date Rudolph has bowled nothing more than.
As I said though, I think Rudolph could be much better than that if he took his bowling just a little more seriously. The fact that English domesitc batsmen are not good players of leg spin gives him a good opportunity to see if he can get it up to a decent standard.