• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Steve Waugh

Who was the greater test batsman?

• Jacques Kallis

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • Steve Waugh

Votes: 21 38.9%

• Total voters

shortpitched713

International Captain
Steve Waugh was almost entirely before my time, but having watched a helluva lot of Ponting and Kallis, they were both gun batsmen, who did what their teams needed them to do.

Those who think that Kallis had roughly similar circumstances to attack in as Ponting don't have the slightest bit of clue how dominating of positions that Australia would get themselves into in Tests. The Australian test side was a major outlier at that time, when it came to approach compared to almost any Test team.

People talk about bowling "attacks", but the Australian test team of the era had a "batting attack", because of how quickly they would inundate you with the sheer pressure and weight of runs. Matthew Hayden I think was an underrated aspect of that approach, in taking advantage of even the slightest opportunity to go on the attack with fast scoring batting for an opener.

subshakerz

International Coach
Steve Waugh was almost entirely before my time, but having watched a helluva lot of Ponting and Kallis, they were both gun batsmen, who did what their teams needed them to do.

Those who think that Kallis had roughly similar circumstances to attack in as Ponting don't have the slightest bit of clue how dominating of positions that Australia would get themselves into in Tests. The Australian test side was a major outlier at that time, when it came to approach compared to almost any Test team.

People talk about bowling "attacks", but the Australian test team of the era had a "batting attack", because of how quickly they would inundate you with the sheer pressure and weight of runs. Matthew Hayden I think was an underrated aspect of that approach, in taking advantage of even the slightest opportunity to go on the attack with fast scoring batting for an opener.
Forget about Ponting. Lara and Tendulkar didn't have great batting lineups for much of their early careers which didn't stop them from being attacking.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People also greatly underestimate how much Ponting contributed to that himself.

Burgey

It takes less pressure off you batting three than elsewhere imho. Always fortunate to have Hayden and Langer opening ahead of him of course, but he set the tone for Aus so often it wasn’t funny. Wonderful number three in his pomp. The best there we’ve had since Bradman, and overall I think the best there since peak Viv.

Burgey

Which means Waugh's average must be higher than Kallis' in another innings, right?

I guess the question is, so what? 4th innings average is a kind of weird stat people focus on imo, but each to their own I suppose.