• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jack Hobbs vs Len Hutton vs Herbert Sutcliffe vs Sunil Gavaskar

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Well if you break down the record of 99% ATG cricketers you will find them not so great . Take for eg. Gavaskar scored more runs in 1 series in WI(774) than Ponting scored in Asia in his 2002-06 peak period(753) . And if you break that down further you will find that Ponting in his 2002-06 period played only 1 test in IND in which he also failed. So one can come to conclusion that Ponting's peak period coincided with him playing so few in Asia.
Of course. You're not correcting me or telling me what I don't know. As I said in the post you quoted: "he was incredibly high quality".

My post is a reaction against people who say "Gavaskar must be the greatest because he averaged whatever against the WI pace quartet".

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Everyone has holes in their record, even Bradman. Didn't even average 75 against West Indies - couldn't handle pace.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Actually if I had to troll I would have brought Greg Chappell's record who was Gavaskar's contemporary . And believe me I have already broken Chapppell's record and it is not so flattering . Saving it for another occasion. I am just stating the fact that 99% ATG cricketers perform better against average opponents as compared to great opponents.
Also ,
Sunny's record against WI Pacers is way better than Viv's record against them in domestic cricket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
85/86 had Reid and McDermott right? That's still a damn good bowling attack. Going purely by names of course, which probably isn't a good assumption since for all I know they could've bowled garbage.
McDermott was 21 and Reid was on dayboo. As was Merv Hughes when he played in that series. It’s like when people look at the 85 aussie team and say Boon and Jones were there do it wasn’t bad. They weren’t the players they became later. They were very ordinary

Like, if Travis Head goes on to play 80 tests and average 40 plus, that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a spud this current series.

Last edited:

Burgey

Likewise, check out the West Indian bowlers in the 1971 series. Epic stuff.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know if it is available now. I have seen these claims long back.
Also , Martin Crowe rated Sunny best of his era. It is still there in cricinfo , best batsman after Bradman.
Martin Crowe was substantially too young to have seen even Sobers at his best, let alone, say, Hammond.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Outside cw, most people seem to rate Gavaskar higher than Chappell. For instance Gavaskar has lot of votes (12) in Wisden 5 cricketers of the century exercise; Chappell had none. I find them impossible to split.

Last edited:

trundler

I see them as vastly different types of players but equal in quality. Apples and oranges.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Outside cw, most people seem to rate Gavaskar higher than Chappell. For instance Gavaskar has lot of votes (12) in Wisden 5 cricketers of the century exercise; Chappell had none. I find them impossible to split.
It's especially hard to split them when their roles were so different. And in terms of cricketers of the last century, maybe Gavaskar didn't lose votes from his countryfolk in the way that Chappell would have done to Bradman. Just pondering though. I wouldn't care to rank these guys against one another. It's just an interesting discussion over a quiet few days.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Likewise, check out the West Indian bowlers in the 1971 series. Epic stuff.
You beat me to it. Anyone claiming that Gavaskar's 774 aggregate in that series belongs in a discussion about how well he fared against the great WI pace attacks needs their head examining.

trundler

Maybe Gavaskar had greater significance but as players they're impossible to separate. Great at what they each did.