• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's obviously far from blameless, but if you got demoted at work for what you believe was a **** reason, and then got told no matter how well you did at this role lower down the hierarchy you'll never be promoted back to where you were. Would you bust your gut and try your best? It kills any incentive immediately.
It's hard to compare, one because I'm awesome and would never be demoted. But also because I'd have to continue to care because I have savings of about 4p (not true at the minute actually but it fits my story) and so couldn't jeopardise that. In KP's shoes though? Sure. But any axed/retired player in any sport who is doing the business looms over a failing side. And boy were England failing at a point last summer. But KP was nowhere to be seen

Would he have got a recall had he averaged 94 in the championship? Probably not and I take this point. Bur he made zero effort to try and force the issue

Ultimately I think Riggins nailed this one regardless

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Not sure why KP should have continued playing in the County Championship after he was told repeatedly he would never make the test team publicly. After a point, particularly after you have made your mark at the international stage, county cricket without further goals, wouldn't mean much. It is not to be forgotten that KP is from SA. Why should he play county cricket in England pointlessly. Wouldn't have had any motivation at all to do it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He's obviously far from blameless, but if you got demoted at work for what you believe was a **** reason, and then got told no matter how well you did at this role lower down the hierarchy you'll never be promoted back to where you were. Would you bust your gut and try your best? It kills any incentive immediately.
True, but KP played the whole 'poor me, I'm the victim, I love England, me' card...at which point he could have just smugly compiled loads of tons in County Cricket and maemade the ECB suits look like complete dicks.

To use the work analogy, you just go back into the rank and file, be professional but at the same time subtly shiw up whoever demoted you as a fool whilst at the same time negotiating a job that pays you more money for less work (T20) before riding off into the sunset firmly on the road marked 'moral high ground.'

Or you could hang around with Piers ****ing Morgan.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Or you just walk out of the building where youre told you're not wanted or valued anymore and take the job paying you more for less right away.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Or you just walk out of the building where youre told you're not wanted or valued anymore and take the job paying you more for less right away.
And is what almost everyone would do if they had that option.

Many would also slag off their ex-employer as well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah that's not true, if people have options like KP has and get told they're forever demoted many leave. Particularly with us being in an era of the mobile workforce

Son Of Coco

Best bit was when Ponting was guessing who the bigger egos were in the England team than KP (per KP's book) and basically said Prior, Broad and Anderson.

A trio of ****s

KP neither confirmed nor denied.
Yeah that was pretty funny.

Best bit to come out of Daniel Brettig's book for mine was that Anderson apparently fancied himself as a bit of a hardman on the pitch. Apparently told George Bailey that out of all the faces on the field, his was the one he most wanted to punch...this from a bloke who cried when they lost to Sri Lanka. A hardman? ****ing spare me, please!

Whether any of them actually have a bigger ego than KP is questionable though...that's a fair ask.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

And yet they've not been kicked out of multiple cricketing teams in disgrace for off field reasons. Makes you think.
You don't get kicked out ot a team for having a big ego. If you're performing reasonably well there's a fair chance the posse of hangers-on in management will bow down in reverence at somewhere around waist height. If, however, you start giving those hanging on some grief then it's you or them.

It's not at all surprising that cliques develop in teams, or that those cliques behave like tools.

Son Of Coco

Spot the student who hasn't worked in the real world.
I think this speaks more for workers who don't have the guts to stand up for what they believe in in case they lose the job they so desperately need (or think they need). Although if you're saying the real world trades on the fact it's workers won't tell it to go and **** itself to exploit their perceived needs, I agree.

In KP's case he didn't need the cash...so his livelihood and living standards weren't at the mercy of the decision makers in the end.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeh so am I, am talking about last summer

I am pretty sure this was never said as I was the following the news closely around this time on KP and the ECB... Think he said he will play the Champsonship games for that season as he was under contract with Surrey or something to that effect once he was fit but I am pretty sure there was never any commitment to playing it every year on his part.

I would love to debate this more but I enjoy watching the WC more.. :p

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wish Graves had kept his mouth shut as it started this argument all over again. He is yesterdays man, forget him and move on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am pretty sure this was never said as I was the following the news closely around this time on KP and the ECB... Think he said he will play the Champsonship games for that season as he was under contract with Surrey or something to that effect once he was fit but I am pretty sure there was never any commitment to playing it every year on his part.

I would love to debate this more but I enjoy watching the WC more.. :p
Well all I said was that he said he'd play championship cricket, he did say it and didn't play it

Jarquis

Spot the student who hasn't worked in the real world.
Spot the dickhead who knows nothing about me. Get ****ed.

Besides, we were applying the analogy to KP and as Jono pointed out he was free to just walk away as he didn't 'need' the ECB and he didn't have to wait to negotiate anything as he already had a deal elsewhere.