• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It was 20 years ago yesterday...

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
That's why I said at worst.

However:

a. you can't just discount 13/14
b. there are other places besides Australia
c. he has a pretty low WPM in many of these cases. It ranges from 2-3ish per game, which means despite a decent average he's only doing a serviceable job. Compare that to someone like Steyn, who averaged 28 in Australia but took 31 poles in 7 Tests.
I said " in 2013/14 he was very ordinary." How is that discounting that series? I was simply pointing out that he has had 3 solid series out of 5.

I agree, there are other places besides Australia (but I'm glad I live here). I've mentioned his Pakistan and India stats and will add WI (ave 24.81) and UAE (20.55). I concede his performances in NZ, SA and SL are less impressive but I'm not claiming he's in the same class as Steyn (and others) in terms of WPM.

What I am saying is that he cops more than his fair share of criticism (some justified) for a quick bolwer who has taken more wickets than any fellow fast bowler.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm so proud of you for not saying Chennai.
I don't know that FP was suggesting Canterbury was that bad tbh.

Anyway, that spud NP10 told me if I even mentioned the **** hole he would infract me. WAC. I've been silenced. I demand #freedom

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Why do you say that about Canterbury? Genuine question, I haven't really spent much time there. Is it like Qld or the midlands of the UK or something bad like that?
Always wins everything at rugby (and used to at cricket when they had Fleming, Cairns, Harris, Astle, McMillan, Bond etc), and locals are very parochial (one eyed). Christchurch is actually quite a pretty city though and has been through an awful lot with earthquakes and the mosque attack.

It would also be the most class-oriented part of the country where going to the "right" school is important.

Daemon

I said " in 2013/14 he was very ordinary." How is that discounting that series? I was simply pointing out that he has had 3 solid series out of 5.

I agree, there are other places besides Australia (but I'm glad I live here). I've mentioned his Pakistan and India stats and will add WI (ave 24.81) and UAE (20.55). I concede his performances in NZ, SA and SL are less impressive but I'm not claiming he's in the same class as Steyn (and others) in terms of WPM.

What I am saying is that he cops more than his fair share of criticism (some justified) for a quick bolwer who has taken more wickets than any fellow fast bowler.
I thought we were specifically discussing whether his record in those countries was "serviceable" or better than that.

But anyways, I don't think we disagree too much on the actual quality/output, the discussion is just now about made up definitions of serviceable, ATG and whatnot that we're trying to fit people into.

Burgey

Always wins everything at rugby (and used to at cricket when they had Fleming, Cairns, Harris, Astle, McMillan, Bond etc), and locals are very parochial (one eyed). Christchurch is actually quite a pretty city though and has been through an awful lot with earthquakes and the mosque attack.

It would also be the most class-oriented part of the country where going to the "right" school is important.
Ah yeah, I had heard that now you mention it. Weren't there also some posts on here a few years back about a fair bit of hard right wing/ white supremacist elements in that part of the country?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Christchurch wishes it was as beautiful as Brisbane. Canterbury sucks, farms, hills, rugby. Just bugger all going on

Burgey

Nah come on, Christchurch is a lot prettier than Brisbane. Brisbane is hideous. Even the misguided people who like Brisbane wouldn't say it's a good looking city filled with good looking people.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nah come on, Christchurch is a lot prettier than Brisbane. Brisbane is hideous. Even the misguided people who like Brisbane wouldn't say it's a good looking city filled with good looking people.
Christchurch was a charming city in the 90s, urban sprawl, the earthquakes and disaporia has made it a really odd one now

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He's an ATVG bowler who's gone into ATG territory because of how long he's been doing it, English Test spam and ridiculous dominance at home whilst being at worst serviceable in other countries with the occassional matchwinning performance.

It doesn't scream ATG like Steyn or something but it's pretty ****ing good.
FFS... its the same thing that I posted.

and ATVG needs to die. There is great, and then there is ATG. That's ****ing it.