• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It was 20 years ago yesterday...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In no particular order and with only a moment's thought I'll name six:

Bill O'Reilly
Keith Miller
Imran Khan
Steve Smith
Shane Warne
Sachin Tendulkar

I excluded Border as FP demanded, though of course he belongs on that list too.

Burgey

I was using the term as I've come to understand it via my missus' workplace, as opposed to AusPac, which they generally use for Aus-NZ-Pacific Islands. My bad.

Limiting to Aus-NZ, as would be appropriate:

O'Reilly
Miller
Warne
McGrath
Davo
Smith

would be those who spring immediately to mind as at worst worthy of comparison. But Hadlee certainly up there in the argument, if not a worthy winner

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was using the term as I've come to understand it via my missus' workplace, as opposed to AusPac, which they generally use for Aus-NZ-Pacific Islands. My bad.

O'Reilly
Miller
Warne
McGrath
Davo
Smith

would be those who spring immediately to mind as at worst worthy of comparison.
Hadlee clearly better than McGrath IMO. Very similar standard fast bowlers + Hadlee's vastly superior batting (like Garner).

You end up comparing apples with oranges enough with the rest to make them interesting enough arguments though. Maybe even add Gilchrist?

Burgey

Yeah I hadn't thought of him.

But I mean Hadlee plainly at the very top tier of cricketers anywhere. You can choose one or the other but you're comparing absolute guns and it all ends up being subjective anyways.

Daemon

Not many bowlers have had 5 Test series in Australia. It is easy to dismiss Anderson's performances in Australia based on two of those series. In 2006/07 he wasn't the bowler he is now and in 2013/14 he was very ordinary. However, his other 3 Ashes series in Australia have seen him averaging sub 30 (2010/11 - 26.04; 2017/18 - 27.82; 2021/22 - 23.38). Not ATG figures but more than serviceable away from home.
That's why I said at worst.

However:

a. you can't just discount 13/14
b. there are other places besides Australia
c. he has a pretty low WPM in many of these cases. It ranges from 2-3ish per game, which means despite a decent average he's only doing a serviceable job. Compare that to someone like Steyn, who averaged 28 in Australia but took 31 poles in 7 Tests (more like 30 in 6 because he broke his collarbone midway through the 7th)

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

O'Reilly
Miller
Warne
McGrath
Davo
Smith

would be those who spring immediately to mind as at worst worthy of comparison. But Hadlee certainly up there in the argument, if not a worthy winner
I know Smithy is a quality commentator, and was a very good keeper, but I'd put Gilchrist ahead of him.

Burgey

Why do you say that about Canterbury? Genuine question, I haven't really spent much time there. Is it like Qld or the midlands of the UK or something bad like that?