• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is The Yorker underused in test cricket?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's not something I noticed hugely before, but in the last Test he did it in both innings and he has been criticised a little on here of late for not being good at cleaning up the tail. You're right, I remember those dismissals from 05. Perhaps he is playing with percentages, thinking I've got one or two right, I'll **** the rest up, but he oughta have more confidence against the Ntinis and Harrises of the world

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not something I noticed hugely before, but in the last Test he did it in both innings and he has been criticised a little on here of late for not being good at cleaning up the tail. You're right, I remember those dismissals from 05. Perhaps he is playing with percentages, thinking I've got one or two right, I'll **** the rest up, but he oughta have more confidence against the Ntinis and Harrises of the world
An issue of confidence perhaps. I notice Flintoff has always been an ecomical bowler who hits the splice of the bat but wasn't all that penetrative. When he started to pitch it fuller, he starting taking major poles. Had an injury run and is now back, bowling economically again, although starting to get on the improve quite quickly. Maybe once he can trust his body, he'll start bowling that fuller length again.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I reckon a fuller length, yokeresque delivery is a higher percentage ball against top order batsmen than tail enders.

Tail enders by and large look to slog, get it wrong and you look stupid. Get a yorker slightly wrong (ie Harmison's wicket delivery to Amla) and you look better against a top order batsman, because they're not looking to smash you out of the park.

In the 4th Test, 1st innings against Australia 2005, the commentators were bemoaning the fact that the bowlers weren't bowling at Brett Lee's stumps. This was until Simon Hughes pointed out that every delivery bowled at his stumps had been smashed out the park.

tooextracool

International Coach
I reckon a fuller length, yokeresque delivery is a higher percentage ball against top order batsmen than tail enders.

Tail enders by and large look to slog, get it wrong and you look stupid. Get a yorker slightly wrong (ie Harmison's wicket delivery to Amla) and you look better against a top order batsman, because they're not looking to smash you out of the park.

In the 4th Test, 1st innings against Australia 2005, the commentators were bemoaning the fact that the bowlers weren't bowling at Brett Lee's stumps. This was until Simon Hughes pointed out that every delivery bowled at his stumps had been smashed out the park.
Thats the first Ive ever heard. I would think that if you bowled 6 out of 6 balls on the stumps, a tailender whos looking to slog would more than likely miss one and be bowled. The criticism that is levelled at England's bowlers for not bowling enough at the stumps at tailenders is a fair one IMO, because tailenders are not going to edge perfectly shaped outswingers to the slips very often. I can perhaps understand if you bowled a couple of bouncers and then bowled a full delivery on the stumps, but in general you have to try to hit the stumps in order to get the incompetent tailender out (and Harris, Steyn, Nel and Ntini all fall into this category).

Is the Yorker underused in tests? Most definetly, but it is also overrated because as many have suggested its hard to get right, but also because its actually not that hard to keep out in comparison to a delivery that is in the corridor of uncertainity. Theres only one shot you can play to a yorker, but a delivery in the corridor of uncertainity leaves you uncertain whether to play or leave as well as whether to get on the front foot or on the back foot. Its a good tactic to try periodically,not regularly against top order batsmen.

Spinksy

Banned
To be perfectly honest I think that the yorker is underused even though many people may tend to disagree with me. I believe that the yorker is underused because they are too busy bowling the general stock ball and the odd cutters or swing balls that swing from left to right or right to left that they are forgeting the most lethal ball in world cricket today, the yorker. In a One Day International match this delivery is bowled 1-10 times per game whereas in a Test match the delivery is bowled around the same amount (1-10 times), which is a poor effort in my opinion because one Test match game is the equivellent to ten One Day International matches. So yes, I think that the yorker deliverly is definitely underused in not just Australia itself but all test nations around the world.

Jakester1288

International Regular
To be perfectly honest I think that the yorker is underused even though many people may tend to disagree with me. I believe that the yorker is underused because they are too busy bowling the general stock ball and the odd cutters or swing balls that swing from left to right or right to left that they are forgeting the most lethal ball in world cricket today, the yorker. In a One Day International match this delivery is bowled 1-10 times per game whereas in a Test match the delivery is bowled around the same amount (1-10 times), which is a poor effort in my opinion because one Test match game is the equivellent to ten One Day International matches. So yes, I think that the yorker deliverly is definitely underused in not just Australia itself but all test nations around the world.
Yes, a shock weapon, it's only leathal if it's used occasionally. And 1-10 in test? Pfft, more like 15+ in my opinion.

And as for the question, it's definately not underused, you don't need to bowl it very often. Shock delivery, used maybe once every 30-50 odd balls.

Spinksy

Banned
Yes, a shock weapon, it's only leathal if it's used occasionally. And 1-10 in test? Pfft, more like 15+ in my opinion.

And as for the question, it's definately not underused, you don't need to bowl it very often. Shock delivery, used maybe once every 30-50 odd balls.
Which is the equivallent to 60 - 100 times per test match Jake which is way to many, then it would be overused imo. Think before you post dude.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Which is the equivallent to 60 - 100 times per test match Jake which is way to many, then it would be overused imo. Think before you post dude.

So 12 yorkers a day is to many aye? You telling me to think before I post. Pfft.. Practice what you preach.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
8-) honestly. Just post, get on with it, stop arguing with each other like little girlss

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Please stfu or leave, you are pissing me and many others off. Or am I haveing to leave?
Tbh, the way you two argue, no one would mind if you both leave. When you're not arguing, you're good posters.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:huh:

1 yorker every 30 balls = 1 every 5 overs. Assuming the average bowler bowls 30 overs per innings, that's 12 per match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What do you think of someone like Flintoff though, who is known to dismiss a couple of top or middle order batsmen with a cracker of a yorker or two, then is reluctant to throw them in against the tail?
Really? Against Aus, it was pretty much the opposite. Remember him knocking over Kasper and Gillespie in 2005 multiple times with huge, nasty in-swinging yorkers.
Yep, and that's precisely why it's so annoying that he's not done it more often TBH. Flintoff can bowl an absolute beauty of an inswinging Yorker and that'll get top-order, never mind tail-end, batsmen out almost every time. Even without the inswing, against tailenders for me you should just search the blockhole near enough every ball. They might middle the odd one if you give them a Half-Volley, but you're going to knock them over quicker than you will by not aiming at the stumps. Tail-enders can miss low Full-Tosses easily enough too.

Spinksy

Banned

1 yorker every 30 balls = 1 every 5 overs. Assuming the average bowler bowls 30 overs per innings, that's 12 per match.
Even so though 12 yorkers per bowler is more then enough in my opinion. Ten at the most but probably around six or seven is the best amount for a bowler to be bowling in my opinion.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

12 attempts at a yorker, and assuming only 20% come off you get about 2-3 sucessfulo Yorkers and if the batsmen blocks even half of those anyway you end up with only one wicket from a yorker per Test match

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
12 attempts at a yorker, and assuming only 20% come off you get about 2-3 sucessfulo Yorkers and if the batsmen blocks even half of those anyway you end up with only one wicket from a yorker per Test match
Better than the zero which you often get currently.