• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the current Indian management doing a good job?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
There have been a lot of weird selections by the current selection committee,
India won the world cup majorly because of the players that were groomed under Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid combined with MSD's captaincy. But there are hardly any players which are looking good for long term out of the current selections, and some players are given chances in bits and pieces and then dropped.

There were very few resources before, but right now there are lot of options available, but still you see a lot of issues, India's bench strength is still pretty weak. Bowling looks toothless without Zaheer, batting looks zero in absence of a few seniors.

Your views on it?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The conditioning and general fitness of the Indian team for the England tour was disgraceful. That's the kind of thing the back-room staff should be monitoring closely.

A few of the selections smacked of the "Hail Mary" too. RP Singh and Raina playing at The Oval defied logic. No wickets and no runs respectively. Ironically both did better in their supposed weaker disciplines.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fletcher is perfect for spotting talent and guiding them into the side, if he is allowed to do that with the Indian team he will do well. After all who else in England would have picked Trescothick and Vaughan with their records when they were first chosen.

Trouble is I think he will be made a scapegoat for the England tour and sacked before he can do his job.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Fletcher is perfect for spotting talent and guiding them into the side, if he is allowed to do that with the Indian team he will do well. After all who else in England would have picked Trescothick and Vaughan with their records when they were first chosen.
Well, if he does that, he will be thrown out:( Politics is back in Indian cricket, thanks to the captain and selector.
Only selected players will get proper chances, others will get chances in bits and peices and will be dropped, hope MSD changes his attitude, otherwise it will be a disaster for long term.

centurymaker

International Captain
they dont give a **** about the tests. hardly any player was even smoderately dejected after the 4-0 hammering..

only a thrashing in the ODI series will wake up BCCI etc.. they only care about the Limited Overs games (same goes with > 95% of the fans)

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Trouble is I think he will be made a scapegoat for the England tour and sacked before he can do his job.
The BCCI aren't paying Fletcher millions to build a team ground up. They're paying him to shut up and make the best of the specimens they're passing off as 'cricketers', and to be the fall guy if things go **** up.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
The BCCI aren't paying Fletcher millions to build a team ground up. They're paying him to shut up and make the best of the specimens they're passing off as 'cricketers', and to be the fall guy if things go **** up.
Yap, Politics, favouritism, regionalism, corruption,etc. are back in Indian cricket.

The selectors and captain are doing terrible job when it comes to grooming young talent.
They just want a selected bunch of players in the team anyhow even though they don't deserve to. Certain players get special treatment and some get chances in bits and pieces and are thrown out.

truth

Banned
A group of players are getting special treatment,
it includes Rohit Sharma, M Vijay, RP Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Ashish Nehra, SK Raina,etc.

While there is another set of players who are being sidelined purposely,
R Uthappa, Irfan Pathan, Ambati Rayudu, Dinesh Karthik, Yusuf Pathan,etc.

Don't know where Indian cricket is going under these corrupt bunch of idiots, MSD included.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
it includes Rohit Sharma, M Vijay, RP Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Ashish Nehra, SK Raina,etc.

Don't know where Indian cricket is going under these corrupt bunch of idiots, MSD included.
From memory, I believe if you check the international records of the sidelined guys you mentioned(except Rayudu of course), they are not much better than those whom you mention as getting special treatment.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year

You can make up three lists- youth quota, Dhoni's inner circle quota and Saurashtra Lobby quota, for a little speculation.

Management is terrible- and at best average- but when you find that the same old mistakes associated with the Indian system continue even when we hire foreigners purely to avoid it- makes one wonder why we look at the candidate's passport at all.

truth

Banned
From memory, I believe if you check the international records of the sidelined guys you mentioned(except Rayudu of course), they are not much better than those whom you mention as getting special treatment.
Rahul Dravid dropped for after just 1 bad series,what reason can you give for this?
Irfan Pathan --
29 tests 100 wickets . 1 century 6 fifties
107 ODIs 152 wickets . 5 fifties.
He did deserve to get dropped but should have been picked again, but is being ignored constantly, he got his swing and rhythm back towards the end of the recent IPL, he could have been an asset in the English conditions. India anyways needed an allrounder to solve the bowling problems, but he wasn't selected even though there have been so many injuries. RP Signh, who hasn't even proved himself in the international arena got selected instead.

Robin Uthappa --

Under Dravid(who gave him a settled role)
4 fifties, 13 innings ,409 runs ,average of 34 and strike rate of 103.

Under Dhoni,
only 1 fifty, 21 innings - 377 runs, average of 22 and strike rate of 82.
Want to know the reason?
Look at the changes in his batting position under Dhoni.
Is this a joke? Is this some street cricket or something?
How can he constantly change his batting positions and get him up and down so much?
You give him a proper role, like how he gave to a Vijay, Mukund, Sharma or Raina.Please learn to see things inside out before commenting on it.
Dravid clearly handled him well and Dhoni didn't.

Pragyan Ojha--

He has played 13 of his 16 ODIs against Sri Lanka,who are are great players of spin, and has yet managed to pick 20 wickets at an economy of 4.3.
He has also played 11 tests, out which 5 were against Sri Lanka,
but still picked 42 wickets.

Again talking about special treatment, what has Ashwin done to get preferred ahead of Ojha?
Playing against weaker opponents will improve his stats,but he will fail against Pak, SL and others teams who play spin well.

Dinesh Karthik--
he got dropped after just one bad series, which was the Sri Lanka triangular series, before the series his previous innings were

66, 40, 27, 33, 18, 22 ,11 , 79, 44, 34, 48, 19 not out, 32not out, 34, 16, 4 , 47, 4, 67.

Yusuf Pathan--
Yusuf Pathan performing under other captains but not under Dhoni.
Under Gambhir he was brilliant in the 5 ODI series both with the bat and ball.
Such players are rare to find. He is a hit or miss kind of player, but he is good enough for the international level, even Virender Sehwag was considered a slogger before, but Sourav Ganguly stuck with him and developed his talent, even Australia developed Andrew symonds, its not easy to go out and start hitting all the bowlers out of the park from ball one, most of the time he has came in to bat only to increase the run rate, that's not fair on a player. You should be smart enough to use them. Shane Warne and Gambhir get the best out of Yusuf,but Dhoni doesn't,because he doesn't want him in the team.

Yusuf is the same player who has hit the 3 most brutal 100s for India last year, 1 in IPL and 2 in international cricket. He bats at number 7, no batsmen has had much success on that number recently,
Uthappa, Jadeja and even Raina doesn't have a good record at number 7 because a player gets very few overs on that number, he would get to bat early only on bowling pitches. And if at all he is sent early its just to increase the run rate, mostly in the powerplays.

And I have observed this since quite a long,
Dhoni has not given Yusuf enough chances to Yusuf to bowl, he gets to bowl more overs only on flat decks, on turning or bouncy pitches, he is just made to bowl 2 or 3 overs and then replaced with some other part timer.
He has a much better bowling record under other captains and has improved a lot recently.

Now lets talk about some other players who just keep on getting their chances and get the best possible opportunities. (MSD and Shrikanth favourites I mean)

Harbhajan Singh--
Harbhajan has got 3 wickets or more in only 8 occassions out of his previous 80 ODIs and has hardly taken any crucial wickets in tests when its needed, but is still in the ODI side, any strong reason for that apart from his friendship with Dhoni?

RP Singh--
Last played his 4 day game in January and is unfit and overweight right now, but still gets selected from nowhere even though he did nothing impressive in domestic matches. And he also went on to play the last test against England. He was bowling like a part timer in that match.

Murali Vijay--
12 ODIs- average of 17 and strike rate of 61.
In tests,
20 innings, average of 30.
Don't think i should waste my time commenting on him.

Suresh Raina--
Deserves to be in the ODI team, but how can he be selected in tests? and why is he chosen over Yuvraj Singh?
There are so many players who can contribute better than him in tests.
The worst part is that he captains the side in absence of Dhoni and Gambhir.

RP Singh--
Gets selected after not so great domestic performance, has played his last 4 day game in January but still played against England,

etc. etc, etc,

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I assume that we are speaking about ODIs and my post was only about the players you referred in your original post.

Irfan vs RP

The general consensus here is that IPL is ****, but if you want to consider performances there to defend Irfan, then RP Singh took more wickets at a better average there. And Irfan was injured in the domestic season. Hence he hasnt done anything to consider selection above RP (I consider RP's selection as **** as well)

Uthappa vs Raina
Do you think Raina has a settled role? No. The only difference is Raina performs the role given to him more admirably than Uthappa.

Dinesh karthik vs Rohit Sharma - No need to provide evidence. Rohit clearly wins here.

Yusuf vs Harbhajan, Nehra, Vijay - I am comparing apples to oranges here. But as I replied, if you purely go by international records, Yusuf's is not much better than the other 3. But I agree that Yusuf should have been given more chances up the order to prove his credentials. He has been very much underutilised.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The most important thing right now is to come up with an exit plan for the three old men in the team, Dravid included. As much as I love somebody like Laxman for his game and contributions over the past decade, there is just no way a poor physical specimen like that (at least at this stage of his career, not that he's ever been a livewire) should be allowed anywhere near an international sporting field. It sets a bad example and basically tells kids that you can get by with a wreck of a body as long as you have adequate talent. I know how cruel this sounds but my cringing at the team's showings in the field have increased exponentially over the years.

Even Sachin and Dravid; someone really needs to have a private word with all three of them to go out gracefully. They can always take a breather for a couple of years and then join the ranks in an advisory/coaching capacity like so many ex players from other countries have. But they definitely aren't getting any younger and kids like Pujara sure are growing older. Blood the deserving ones as soon as possible. We're going to be losing badly (as if it can get any worse) once these three go anyway so why not get hammered now with a new look team and look forward to something better two years out from here?

Fitness related stuff..well, that pic of Zaheer from a few months ago says it all, doesn't it? Looked like a pudgy confectioner. I don't know what these ****s do in the gym but surely awareness has grown over the years? We might not be a genetically gifted people but there's no excuse to look like "that" for an international sportsman?

[/rant]

Bun

Banned
The most important thing right now is to come up with an exit plan for the three old men in the team, Dravid included. As much as I love somebody like Laxman for his game and contributions over the past decade, there is just no way a poor physical specimen like that (at least at this stage of his career, not that he's ever been a livewire) should be allowed anywhere near an international sporting field. It sets a bad example and basically tells kids that you can get by with a wreck of a body as long as you have adequate talent. I know how cruel this sounds but my cringing at the team's showings in the field have increased exponentially over the years.

Even Sachin and Dravid; someone really needs to have a private word with all three of them to go out gracefully. They can always take a breather for a couple of years and then join the ranks in an advisory/coaching capacity like so many ex players from other countries have. But they definitely aren't getting any younger and kids like Pujara sure are growing older. Blood the deserving ones as soon as possible. We're going to be losing badly (as if it can get any worse) once these three go anyway so why not get hammered now with a new look team and look forward to something better two years out from here?

Fitness related stuff..well, that pic of Zaheer from a few months ago says it all, doesn't it? Looked like a pudgy confectioner. I don't know what these ****s do in the gym but surely awareness has grown over the years? We might not be a genetically gifted people but there's no excuse to look like "that" for an international sportsman?

[/rant]
lulz, sachin has had his first below avg (avged 34 still mind u) in a long time, and dravid was just about unbelievably heroic, and youi call for their heads.

i am not advocating for a free ride for these big guns, but atm they deserve to be in the team. and it's not as if the juniors stepped up every single ****ing time they got a chance in eng only to see that taken away by underperforming seniors either.

and test cricket ain't about just athelticism and ott training. with all these impediments that have unfortunately led to your hair being sodomised, you might have missed out on a tiny detail, that we were no.1 for nearly three years. and we won a ****ing world cup as well. and you know, that's a double which has been done by only two teams in cricketing history, windies of the 80s and aussies of the noughties. all the supermen from england, south africa, new zealand, sri lanka, etc etc have all produced eons better guys apparently on the field, but somehow destiny has picked and chosen this bunch of old, withering, fat, lazy donkeys to occupy the front bench with the greatests.

even the english team had to wait for such an embarassingly long time to taste what it feels to be no.1 ever since the game began to be played by over 5 members in a serious manner.

sounds like india bashing is the theme and absolutely no wonder why some existing posters were showering praises on you. welcome to the forums. enjoy your stay.

diligent introspection is great, and self criticism is the best criticism. but don't bleed yourself to death over a shaving cut.

Bun

Banned
Rahul Dravid dropped for after just 1 bad series,what reason can you give for this?

Irfan Pathan --
He did deserve to get dropped but should have been picked again, but is being ignored constantly, he got his swing and rhythm back towards the end of the recent IPL, he could have been an asset in the English conditions. India anyways needed an allrounder to solve the bowling problems, but he wasn't selected even though there have been so many injuries. RP Signh, who hasn't even proved himself in the international arena got selected instead.

Robin Uthappa --

Under Dhoni,
Want to know the reason?
How can he constantly change his batting positions and get him up and down so much?
You give him a proper role, like how he gave to a Vijay, Mukund, Sharma or Raina.Please learn to see things inside out before commenting on it.

Pragyan Ojha--

He has played 13 of his 16 ODIs against Sri Lanka,who are are great players of spin, and has yet managed to pick 20 wickets at an economy of 4.3.

Again talking about special treatment, what has Ashwin done to get preferred ahead of Ojha?
Playing against weaker opponents will improve his stats,but he will fail against Pak, SL and others teams who play spin well.

Dinesh Karthik--
he got dropped after just one bad series, which was the Sri Lanka triangular series, before the series his previous innings were

66, 40, 27, 33, 18, 22 ,11 , 79, 44, 34, 48, 19 not out, 32not out, 34, 16, 4 , 47, 4, 67.

Yusuf Pathan--
Such players are rare to find. He is a hit or miss kind of player, but he is good enough for the international level, even Virender Sehwag was considered a slogger before, but Sourav Ganguly stuck with him and developed his talent, even Australia developed Andrew symonds, its not easy to go out and start hitting all the bowlers out of the park from ball one, most of the time he has came in to bat only to increase the run rate, that's not fair on a player. You should be smart enough to use them. Shane Warne and Gambhir get the best out of Yusuf,but Dhoni doesn't,because he doesn't want him in the team.

Yusuf is the same player who has hit the 3 most brutal 100s for India last year, 1 in IPL and 2 in international cricket. He bats at number 7, no batsmen has had much success on that number recently,
Uthappa, Jadeja and even Raina doesn't have a good record at number 7 because a player gets very few overs on that number, he would get to bat early only on bowling pitches. And if at all he is sent early its just to increase the run rate, mostly in the powerplays.

Dhoni has not given Yusuf enough chances to Yusuf to bowl, he gets to bowl more overs only on flat decks, on turning or bouncy pitches, he is just made to bowl 2 or 3 overs and then replaced with some other part timer.
He has a much better bowling record under other captains and has improved a lot recently.

Now lets talk about some other players who just keep on getting their chances and get the best possible opportunities. (MSD and Shrikanth favourites I mean)

Harbhajan Singh--
Harbhajan has got 3 wickets or more in only 8 occassions out of his previous 80 ODIs and has hardly taken any crucial wickets in tests when its needed, but is still in the ODI side, any strong reason for that apart from his friendship with Dhoni?

RP Singh--
Last played his 4 day game in January and is unfit and overweight right now, but still gets selected from nowhere even though he did nothing impressive in domestic matches. And he also went on to play the last test against England. He was bowling like a part timer in that match.

Murali Vijay--
In tests,

Suresh Raina--
Deserves to be in the ODI team, but how can he be selected in tests? and why is he chosen over Yuvraj Singh?

RP Singh--
Gets selected after not so great domestic performance, has played his last 4 day game in January but still played against England,

etc. etc, etc,
test championship maces won:

dhoni ; 2
ganguly : 0
dravid : 0
gambhir : 0
kumble : 0

odi world cups won

dhoni : 1

t 20 world cups won

Bun

Banned

Irfan Pathan --

Robin Uthappa --

Under Dhoni,
Want to know the reason?

Pragyan Ojha--

Dinesh Karthik--

Yusuf Pathan--

Harbhajan Singh--

RP Singh--

Murali Vijay--
In tests,

Suresh Raina--

RP Singh--

etc. etc, etc,

dhoni ; 2

odi world cups won

t 20 world cups won

ipls won

dhoni : 2
dravid 0
gambhir 0
kumble 0

champions league wins

dhoni 1
dravid 0
gambhir 0
kumble 0

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I assume that we are speaking about ODIs and my post was only about the players you referred in your original post.

Irfan vs RP

The general consensus here is that IPL is ****, but if you want to consider performances there to defend Irfan, then RP Singh took more wickets at a better average there. And Irfan was injured in the domestic season. Hence he hasnt done anything to consider selection above RP (I consider RP's selection as **** as well)

Uthappa vs Raina
Do you think Raina has a settled role? No. The only difference is Raina performs the role given to him more admirably than Uthappa.

Dinesh karthik vs Rohit Sharma - No need to provide evidence. Rohit clearly wins here.

Yusuf vs Harbhajan, Nehra, Vijay - I am comparing apples to oranges here. But as I replied, if you purely go by international records, Yusuf's is not much better than the other 3. But I agree that Yusuf should have been given more chances up the order to prove his credentials. He has been very much underutilised.
Truth's post was really good, very detailed points,

I dont know what kind of comparisons are these,

Irfan was injured before IPL, and RP Singh was not able to create impressive performances in the domestic arena, and RP Singh has not played any 4 day games since January, so its kind of equal in that matter.
on the other hand Irfan has really improved his fitness, he looked very fit in the IPL aswell.
Whether IPL is good or not, Irfan got his rhythm back in his bowling, thats the main point here. And Irfan is and added advantage with the bat aswell, in tests, he can easily bat at number 7 and play as the 5th bowling to solve our bowling issues. An secondly, Irfan has achieved a lot in his international career if you compare it with someone like RP Singh.

And why Uthappa vs Raina?
Its clearly proven that Uthappa played well under Dravid and not under Dhoni because Dhoni kept shuffling him up and down the order and Dravid gave him a better role.
The point here is that Uthappa wasn't given proper opportunities and thats completely true.

Its clearly written in the post that Raina does deserve his chance in ODIs, noone has questioned his place in the ODI team. Its the test team where he doesn't belong at all.

And where did this Dinesh Karthik vs Rohit Sharma thing come from? Both are completely different in styles, Karthik is a wicket keeper batsmen who should be the 2nd keeper in the team for tests or even in the ODIs if required, he is very adaptable unlike others who perform only on flat wickets.
And Dinesh Karthik's previous 20 innings before 1 bad series are show, he gave good starts 11 times out of those 20 innings, so it proves that he was dropped without strong reasons, and was never picked again,
I dont doubt Sharma's talent, but he has failed and got his opportunities time and again. That's the point here. Others don't get similar opportunities even after proving themselves at the international level, Irfan is the biggest example of that.

And why are you comparing Yusuf with Harbhajan or Nehra? they both are bowlers,
And Vijay is an opener, and Yusuf has anyways performed much better than Vijay even though he has not got proper opportunities.
Jadeja picked ahead of Yusuf clearly shows how badly Yusuf is handled,
In recent times, no Indian batsmen has succeeded at number 7 in ODIs because a batsmen cannot get much overs to play there, he would get more overs only when the pitch assists the bowlers, Yusuf is the only 1 who has managed to play a long innings and play against any bowling lineup out of all the batsmen that have been tried at that number. Even the better rated Raina has an average of 23 at number 7.
His bowling is also handy if utilised properly.

And you are getting the whole post and thread wrong, its about the managements stupidity, biased selections, captains favouritism towards some players,etc.

If Irfan was dropped, then why is Harbhajan never dropped(1 and a half years of bad performances is enough to be dropped)? Even Yuvraj was dropped 1ce before WC.
How can RP Singh get a place in the side from nowhere? atleast there should be some logic behind the selection.
Raina picked ahead of Yuvraj(better bowler and batsmen than him) and others for tests, why is that happening? Don't we need specialists for tests, and if you want to pick an experienced ODI player, than we have Yuvraj.
How did Ojha loose his place? just see his performances, why was he made to play most of his places only against Sri Lanka? why is that not happening with Ashwin who has played most of his matches against weaker opponents?
Why didn't Yusuf get to bat up the order when most of the seniors were rested in west indies? his bowling was also hardly used.
Why did Uthappa and Karthik get dropped and not picked again(his performance is there in front of you)? have they done so badly that they are not selected even when the seniors are rested?
Raina is selected as a future captain, why? is he so consistent?
Dravid getting dropped(from ODIs) because MSD opts for a young team, but then he wants Dravid back in difficult consitons.
There are so many other things like these, but i really don't have time to write all this stuff.

Try to understand the thread and posts here first,
its relating to the discrimination between the players,
its clearly visible that some players are treated well and others are not.
Its not X player vs X player or so on. And also the fact that our management has no long term vision. They are not able to pick a balanced team, nor are they grooming youngsters.

karan316

State Vice-Captain

dhoni ; 2

odi world cups won

t 20 world cups won

ipls won

dhoni : 2
dravid 0
gambhir 0
kumble 0

champions league wins

dhoni 1
dravid 0
gambhir 0
kumble 0
India was anyways going towards the test number 1 status when Kumble retired, Dhoni got the team which was in an upwards swing, no doubt about his captaincy, his captaincy is quite good, but he got a very strong Indian team unlike others.

His selection of players and biased nature has created problem for team India for long term.

Talking about the world cup now,
the world cup was won on the basis of players that were groomed by Dravid and Raina,
The players whom Dhoni backed didn't deliver and had to make for others despite of getting numerous chances to get selected for the WC squad.
Sehwag, Yuvraj, Gambhir, Zaheer, etc. who were key towards the world cup were all groomed under previous captains and not under Dhoni, and Dhoni had an added advantage because the WC was in the subcontinent.
We could have won this WC nomatter who the captain was.

Winning the WC was not solely because of Dhoni, it was a process which involved Dravid and Ganguly's contribution, Dravid and Ganguly had removed politics from Indian cricket and were influential in developing many talented players even though we had limited resources.
3 IPL's were played before the world cup, MSD had much more options and talent available, but he didn't utilise it properly and was biased towards some players.
And we hardly have any talented players coming up under the current management.

And now coming to IPL, just get some knowledge about it, see how the auction was rigged, Dhoni's team gettiing most of its players despite of winning the previous IPL, see what other team owners said about it and see about the match fixing, empire fixing allegations regarding CSK's win with the help of Shrinivasan who is associated with both BCCI and CSK. Lalit Modi spilled the beans and was ready to provide evidence over CSK's match fixing.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
lulz, sachin has had his first below avg (avged 34 still mind u) in a long time, and dravid was just about unbelievably heroic, and youi call for their heads.

i am not advocating for a free ride for these big guns, but atm they deserve to be in the team. and it's not as if the juniors stepped up every single ****ing time they got a chance in eng only to see that taken away by underperforming seniors either.

and test cricket ain't about just athelticism and ott training. with all these impediments that have unfortunately led to your hair being sodomised, you might have missed out on a tiny detail, that we were no.1 for nearly three years. and we won a ****ing world cup as well. and you know, that's a double which has been done by only two teams in cricketing history, windies of the 80s and aussies of the noughties. all the supermen from england, south africa, new zealand, sri lanka, etc etc have all produced eons better guys apparently on the field, but somehow destiny has picked and chosen this bunch of old, withering, fat, lazy donkeys to occupy the front bench with the greatests.

even the english team had to wait for such an embarassingly long time to taste what it feels to be no.1 ever since the game began to be played by over 5 members in a serious manner.

sounds like india bashing is the theme and absolutely no wonder why some existing posters were showering praises on you. welcome to the forums. enjoy your stay.

diligent introspection is great, and self criticism is the best criticism. but don't bleed yourself to death over a shaving cut.
A shaving cut hurts like a bitch when it hits scar tissue though. And this English tour isn't a shaving cut, it's a bloody gaping ****** on the forehead.

Look, I'm not about to get into a dick comparing contest here. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure that we were never anything other than stewards and gatekeepers for the no.1 spot. It's not "diligent introspection", it's plain common sense. Didn't win a series in Aus, didn't win one in SA, didn't win one in SL. Won one in Eng, barely at that. Our no. 1 ranking. as fleeting as it was, was nothing but a combination of a talented batting line up and other teams transitioning.

Last edited: