• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is T20 cricket getting too hot to handle?

Is T20 cricket getting too hot to handle?

• Total voters

MouseMagic

Cricket Spectator
Nowadays, on a regular basis, T20 matches are the highlight of tour schedules between all Test-playing nations. That helps the organisers to attract more crowds towards stadiums and generate funds.

But not everything generated from this T20 phenomenon has been positive!

These are some issues the cricketing masterminds and all the concerned boards have to look after. Though the popularity of cricket is on a rise and its progression is faster than ever, one has to make sure that T20 phenomenon doesn't get too hot to handle.

What is your opinion about the rising phenomenon of T20 Cricket? and is it really getting too hot?!:unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My thoughts are well-documented - international Twenty20 is going too far.

For whom it truly is the highlight of the tour I'm not sure (undoubtedly certain sections of the fanship) but for Twenty20 to ever be more than a sideshow can only be bad, IMO.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It is quite amusing thinking back to the arguments myself, Scaly and others had with Indian (not Pratyush), Pakistani and Australian posters.

Its such a turn around. From hating it and insisting it will never be a success, the Indians and Pakistanis have done a 180 and now think its the greatest thing in the World and the Aussies are flocking to an Indian domestic comp.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which CW Indian\Pakistani\Aussie posters have changed their minds from dislike to adoration? (Aside from the fickle Aseem "Turbinator" Sharma)

I've honestly not seen that many go from one extreme to the other.

But the question about its potential for success is a different one: I don't think that many people ever denied it had the potential to draw big audiences. Certainly no-one I've ever conversed with, though I have of course had lengthy absences from the board.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Which CW Indian\Pakistani\Aussie posters have changed their minds from dislike to adoration? (Aside from the fickle Aseem "Turbinator" Sharma)

I've honestly not seen that many go from one extreme to the other.

But the question about its potential for success is a different one: I don't think that many people ever denied it had the potential to draw big audiences. Certainly no-one I've ever conversed with, though I have of course had lengthy absences from the board.
Its more the general "This will never work in place X,Y or Z due to reasons X,Y and Z", rather than "I hate it, now I love it"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Again, though - who was it that said that?

I've never heard anyone suggest it. I've certainly never suggested it myself, because it'd be a mad thing to do. A game like Twenty20 has always had the potential to offer massive appeal to "the rabble", and if it can do it in Britain (and I've seen it do so from its inception) it can do it pretty well anywhere.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Again, though - who was it that said that?

I've never heard anyone suggest it. I've certainly never suggested it myself, because it'd be a mad thing to do. A game like Twenty20 has always had the potential to offer massive appeal to "the rabble", and if it can do it in Britain (and I've seen it do so from its inception) it can do it pretty well anywhere.
Richard, there has been a clear change in global attitude as it has become bigger and more accepted.
The English people were always its biggest defenders as they had seen it first hand. It just took the rest of the World a while to catch up. Sure there are still a lot of people that dont like it but there has been a big change in viewpoint and its wierd to see people acting as if this is new.

Its not so long ago both Australia and India said they were not going to play Int T20 cricket and the BCCI didnt recognise it as a legit format and said it would never be implemented in India.

1 World Cup and a player auction later.

How things change. :)

I personally love ODIs far far better than 20/20 and Tests far far far ....far better than ODIs .
And as far as I can see only in England (actually the United Kingdom :laugh: ie England , Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland ) 20/20 seems to have gained some firm hold support , whereas everywhere else it has hardly reached a noticeable foot hold .
The above thread illustrates how far the game has come in 18 months and the thread poll illustrates how the British (with their greater exposure to the game) viewed the game differently to those from elsewhere.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
you watched Word cup though
I watched the Twenty20 World Cup? No, not at all. Only watched the 1(?) game I had to report on, and found-out the odd other thing (such as the furore over bowl-outs) via other people.

Twenty20 has never interested me, and I very, very much doubt it ever will. The only time I've ever watched a Twenty20 game closely was the tour-opener of 2005, and I'd have watched that if it was a 13-a-side 40-over game between Australia and Tony Blair's XI. It was the start of the tour, not the Twenty20, that was interesting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, there has been a clear change in global attitude as it has become bigger and more accepted.
The English people were always its biggest defenders as they had seen it first hand. It just took the rest of the World a while to catch up. Sure there are still a lot of people that dont like it but there has been a big change in viewpoint and its wierd to see people acting as if this is new.

Its not so long ago both Australia and India said they were not going to play Int T20 cricket and the BCCI didnt recognise it as a legit format and said it would never be implemented in India.

1 World Cup and a player auction later.

How things change. :)

The thread illustrates how far the game has come in 18 months and the thread poll illustrates how the British (with their greater exposure to the game) viewed the game differently to those from elsewhere.
Oh, there was some impact from the fact that the British were the first to come-up against the format, undoubtedly. I've never denied this. It's always, in fact, been exceedingly obvious. The British being the fickle type they are, will probably also be the first to go off the format, 20 years down the line or whatever.

The types who like Twenty20 have always conformed to the same forms, in all countries, however. There's a lot of rabble - those who don't and almost certainly never will like real cricket; there's those who've always hated one-day cricket; and there's a relatively small number of those who like anything as long as it's bats, balls and stumps.

Twenty20 is and will remain, however, a game mostly designed for those who don't really like cricket. Nationality will be independent of this. The cases of the UK and New Zealand demonstrate this best.

When did Australia ever say they weren't going to play T20 internationals though? They played the first one! 14 months before that thread was even made.

And, indeed, haven't the BCCI made more of an effort to do it domestically than internationally?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Well T20 cricket is definitely fun to watch and play it does not come across as a genuine means to really develop truly gifted cricketers or introduce people to the aspects of cricket that make it really stand out from other sports. I find it hard to believe that T20 is anything more than a cash cow, it just lacks the substance of FC cricket.

ret

International Debutant
good new ideas usually become hot be it the 50 overs game some yrs ago and now 20T .... the ODIs made test cricket interesting as players became a little aggressive .... i guess 20T will make ODIs more interesting in that way too

i guess, 20T compliments other formats well .... Test cricket will always be the ultimate test .... 20T is for instant gratification and good for those who like the powerplays in ODIs .... ODIs balances test cricket and 20T

as Imran Khan said
test = technique, temperamant & talent
ODIs = technique & talent
20T = talent

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It is quite amusing thinking back to the arguments myself, Scaly and others had with Indian (not Pratyush), Pakistani and Australian posters.
Name some names.

Don't point to a general global attitude, because you didn't argue with the BCCI or Cricket Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Jono sums-up in a two-liner what I tried (and not sure I convincingly did) in about ten paragraphs over three posts. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
When I got into cricket, I thought T20 was great. Still find it quite enjoyable, but test cricket is by far the best form of the game. As for T20 getting too hot, I don't see it as a problem, can't see test cricket been overtaken as the top form of the game.

Redbacks

International Captain
I think Cricket Australia voiced concerns over the format and didn't think a world cup was neccessary. The players themselves also played down the tournement thus there was no real preperation for the tournement.

The format is poor, but on the other hand we would get 10,000 people to a state game that would probably see 200 if it was a OD or 4-dayer. The economics drives the game and thats why Australian, New Zealand, South African cricketers are happy to play in the tournement and earn big money for a months work.

Swervy

International Captain
When I got into cricket, I thought T20 was great. Still find it quite enjoyable, but test cricket is by far the best form of the game.
Well, it must be said that the people who were in favour of Twenty20 when it started said that this would happen. I dare say this has happened with thousands of people...good stuff

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't dare say it has TBH.

BTW, not sure if Stephen thinks his getting into long-form cricket was exclusively down to Twenty20? Be interesting to hear clarification on that.