• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty much I think. Definitely the spinner most likely to be picked.
If that's the case he probably belongs in the argument for ATG status, and certainly makes it as an Indian all timer. He's playing for an established county with a record of producing some quality spinners. Plus he's good value down the order. Cod ordinary fielder but that's a minor issue in the scheme of it.

subshakerz

International Coach
Most of the India teams wants to go with 5 bowling options; and to bat Kapil at 7 and Ashwin at 8 makes the batting a bit weak. Jadeja solves that problem.
IMO most ATGs are pretty fine with batting until no.8

Jadeja means only one of Kumble or Ashwin and Ashwin will win there.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
IMO most ATGs are pretty fine with batting until no.8

Jadeja means only one of Kumble or Ashwin and Ashwin will win there.
Yeah, but India only then will have 5 proper batsmen. I think India needs to go a little heavier on the bowling as they're more limited there. And for the record, I am going with both Kumble and Ashwin in my team; Shami isn't really making the cut for me.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah, but India only then will have 5 proper batsmen. I think India needs to go a little heavier on the bowling as they're more limited there. And for the record, I am going with both Kumble and Ashwin in my team; Shami isn't really making the cut for me.
Who are your bowlers?

Burgey

Ashwin, Jadeja, Kumble, Dev, Bumrah.
That attack is likely not far off the money with maybe an extra seamer in for one of the spinners (Shami maybe) depending on conditions, but if they're running into other ATG sides with that bowling line up they're going to struggle to beat time with a stick.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Three spinners in an ATG XI? Makes it much tougher for Bumrah and Dev on non-spinning wickets.
It does. But I think it would be a major disservice to Indian spinners given their importance and history to take a 3rd pacer over them, imo. In away tours I am not really expecting to bat Australia, SA, WI and England; but atleast they could hold the fort pretty well at home.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
That attack is likely not far off the money with maybe an extra seamer in for one of the spinners (Shami maybe) depending on conditions, but if they're running into other ATG sides with that bowling line up they're going to struggle to beat time with a stick.
I mean, it's not really like Shami is an ATG; or per say even equal to Kumble. Atleast they can pretty much hold the fort against some better teams also.

Burgey

Yeah but he's going to be better in a lot of conditions than one of the other three.

Either way they're getting belted.