• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
First off, anyone saying he is should mention the other ATG spinners they consider so. So we know how you classify ATGs.

If you think Anderson is an ATG (he isn't) I can understand why you think Ashwin is.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think there is an argument for Jimmy Anderson to be pushed up to ATG based on weight of wickets and longevity, even if on pure bowling he doesn't quite fit with the rest.

You could probably say the same about Ashwin if he gets to 700/800 wickets

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
First off, anyone saying he is should mention the other ATG spinners they consider so. So we know how you classify ATGs.

If you think Anderson is an ATG (he isn't) I can understand why you think Ashwin is.
I am probably more flexible with the term ATG than others here; and I think the sheer no of runs and wickets also carries weights. James Anderson, a pacer going strong for 20+ years even at the age of 42, is an ATG on my book. The ATG spinners for me are: Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne, Bill O'Reilly, Ravichandran Ashwin, Jim Laker, Clarrie Grimmett, Hedley Verity and Anil Kumble. And also, if you think Ponting is an ATG and Dravid and Miandad aren't; you're ****ting me!

subshakerz

International Coach
I am probably more flexible with the term ATG than others here; and I think the sheer no of runs and wickets also carries weights. James Anderson, a pacer going strong for 20+ years even at the age of 42, is an ATG on my book. The ATG spinners for me are: Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne, Bill O'Reilly, Ravichandran Ashwin, Jim Laker, Clarrie Grimmett, Hedley Verity and Anil Kumble. And also, if you think Ponting is an ATG and Dravid and Miandad aren't; you're ****ting me!
Yeah I am far more exclusive than you on the ATG title. I have around 15-16 bats, a dozen pacers and 4-5 spinners. ATG is an elite cricketer.

Anderson isn't better than Walsh, and neither are ATGs.

Dravid and Miandad aren't ATG sorry.

Putting Ashwin and Kumble in the same bracket as Laker and O'Reilly is just wrong sorry.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think there is an argument for Jimmy Anderson to be pushed up to ATG based on weight of wickets and longevity, even if on pure bowling he doesn't quite fit with the rest.

That argument didn't work for Walsh first getting 500 wickets, I don't see why it would work for Anderson getting 700. Kumble got 600 and is understood to be leagues behind Murali and Warne.

Victor Ian

International Coach
He is a lower tier ATG, like Dravid, Waqar, Miandad, S Pollock, Anderson.
Hang on - Permission hasn't been granted for him to get out of ATVG status. He is just a spammer. The line that he just gets better and better with age is flawed because ALL bowlers have got better and better in the same time due to pitches. Reality is that Anderson is bog ordinary.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jimmy Anderson was the whole reason we created the ATVG category in the first place

not sure where this "lower tier ATG" stuff came form
That argument didn't work for Walsh first getting 500 wickets, I don't see why it would work for Anderson getting 700. Kumble got 600 and is understood to be leagues behind Murali and Warne.
Well firstly 700 wickets is a lot more than 500, even if it was special at the time. Secondly, Kumble being behind Warne & Murali doesn't mean he couldn't be an ATG, so Anderson being behind McGrath/Marshall/Hadlee doesn't mean he can't be an ATG as well

Victor Ian

International Coach

This is ****ing dumb. There is a dude at club level that has a couple of thousand wickets. Is he ATG?

I will grant you that he is All Time Old, but that is not a criteria for greatness - That is just a criteria for that guy who doesn't get the message to get the **** out of your home even though you have made him a coffee, fed the cat, gone and had a shower worn your pyjamas and are now brazenly flatulating in front of him.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Most of us would call those lower tier ATGs, with ATVGs a step down.
cmon man! the whole point of atvg is to clear the room from those not good enough. Don't start making steps in the middle. What is the acronym for this new class you have invented?

We don't need to use baby wipes on these modern douches. They should be satisfied with their status of not being **** ****s.