• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I've read books about the series, that and the Australian one, there is context, but at the end of the day his record just isn't that complete. Those are the two big tests, it's hard to "fail" both.
You will consider Weekes a failure in England by only looking at stats; he played in England in the most difficult of periods and I remember that he did considerably better than the likes of Harvey, Walcott and Arthur Morris. Not ATG level, but really he wasn't expected to perform ATG level in that series with his injury. As for Australia; that series was also when he was injured and no one really scored good in that series barring Hassett and to an extent Miller; and that includes Neil Harvey and Arthur Morris as well. Can't hold too much against him based on a single series. Overall, I rate him around Ponting, Dravid, Miandad and Barrington.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I’m an enigma.

But you know me so well, what do you think I think?
I don't think I do, and this is a shot in the dark.

I don't think you're as pedantic, but similarly to myself you have a strong love for the game and history there of,.and that everywhere matters and you would slightly lean to no.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You will consider Weekes a failure in England by only looking at stats; he played in England in the most difficult of periods and I remember that he did considerably better than the likes of Harvey, Walcott and Arthur Morris. Not ATG level, but really he wasn't expected to perform ATG level in that series with his injury. As for Australia; that series was also when he was injured and no one really scored good in that series barring Hassett and to an extent Miller; and that includes Neil Harvey and Arthur Morris as well. Can't hold too much against him based on a single series. Overall, I rate him around Ponting, Dravid, Miandad and Barrington.
Normally that would be at or just below the cut off, especially being one series. But there were only two real opponents to test your mettle against.... And yes there was the thigh injury, which severely restricted him, but we've had this conversation times before and he is severely punished for his away record.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, there was context to both series.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Normally that would be at or just below the cut off, especially being one series. But there were only two real opponents to test your mettle against.... And yes there was the thigh injury, which severely restricted him, but we've had this conversation times before and he is severely punished for his away record.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, there was context to both series.
All I am saying is; we give an easy write off (okay, not too easy at CW, but most places he is considered as an equal to Marshall!!) to Dennis Lillee, because he never had a proper tour in SC or WI for injuries; but Weekes is getting punished for deciding to go forward and take that challenge even with the injury. He did have a good first series in England and plenty of dominance in County till when it counted.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
All I am saying is; we give an easy write off (okay, not too easy at CW, but most places he is considered as an equal to Marshall!!) to Dennis Lillee, because he never had a proper tour in SC or WI for injuries; but Weekes is getting punished for deciding to go forward and take that challenge even with the injury. He did have a good first series in England and plenty of dominance in County till when it counted.
I believe Lillee ratings here somewhat factors in the missing bits, bit outside, not at all. Not to add that his stats were a bit behind without having those additional challenges.

And one thing we tend to forget, back then players weren't just judged by test cricket, the entire tours were taken into account and to a lesser extent first class cricket as well. And he was generally really good in those tours and first class cricket

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is the consensus that he is a lock to be in India's all time test XI? I don't really care enough about him to have given it much thought tbh.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Is the consensus that he is a lock to be in India's all time test XI? I don't really care enough about him to have given it much thought tbh.
Most of the India teams wants to go with 5 bowling options; and to bat Kapil at 7 and Ashwin at 8 makes the batting a bit weak. Jadeja solves that problem.