• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Headley never opened in his life in tests and you are playing him as opener. Does not seem right.
You are running a training camp and about to select a team where you have only one decent opener and an abundance of middle order batsmen, including one who practically opened his entire career.

You do like Smith and give it a try or play the weaker team?

bagapath

International Captain
My WI team

Headley
Greenidge
Richards
Lara
Sobers
Weekes / Lloyd
Dujon
Marshall
Ambrose
Garner
Holding / Gibbs

Is Jadeja making an impact here or are you trying to not get run through on a spicy Sabina pitch for the first test?

Again, probably no right answer, but hey.
You can easily bring in Conrad Hunte for Weekes or Lloyd and make him the opener and bring Headley to the middle order where he belongs and move Sobers to his favorite position, no.6.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
You are running a training camp and about to select a team where you have only one decent opener and an abundance of middle order batsmen, including one who practically opened his entire career.

You do like Smith and give it a try or play the weaker team?
Batting position is important and certainly for ATG XIs. Playing a player out of his ideal position weakens a team more imo. I'd rather pick another team which got Conrad Hunte as opener than your team. Headley as opener is unknown territory. I mean you can open with Lara and say he opened in odis so he should be fine. But it does not work like this.

Molehill

International Captain
Thought I'd wander in here and see if over 1k posts had decided whether Ashwin was an ATG, pleased to see we're at the Mum ****ing stage of the thread - just what it deserves.

subshakerz

International Coach
if i wanted a spinner to hold 1 end then Jadeja is the answer, he was superb in that role on pitches that barely helped spinners the last time we toured England while their spinners were being milked for runs by us when they bowled
Not going to work against ATGs.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You can easily bring in Conrad Hunte for Weekes or Lloyd and make him the opener and bring Headley to the middle order where he belongs and move Sobers to his favorite position, no.6.
Sobers's favorite positions wasn't 6, he batted there because he bowled too many overs. He was at his best at 4.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Sobers's favorite positions wasn't 6, he batted there because he bowled too many overs. He was at his best at 4.
Didn't Frank Worrell used to open in his early days?? You would found a more tested (albeit slightly) opener, a handy bowler, a great (imo greatest) captain and as a batsman, he is hardly below Lloyd.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The excessive bowling that makes Subs so happy, recked his career in other ways.

As I've said in the past, he would have been better served by Kallis's workload, bowling a few overs of swing or chinamen when needed and batting at 4 and fielding at 2nd slip more often. May have been even ranked higher.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
The excessive bowling that makes Subs so happy, recked his career in other ways.

As I've said in the past, he would have been better served by Kallis's workload, bowling a few overs of swing or chinamen when needed and barring at 4 and fielding at 2nd slip. May have been even ranked higher.
I was talking about Worrell, that I believe he used to open in his early career; not Sobers..... Sobers was a freak!! Even more than Don, he was just a freak!!! The bowling load, the fielding, the late night partying and still averaging 57 in a career spanning 2 decades....

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Frank Worrell used to open in his early days?? You would found a more tested (albeit slightly) opener, a handy bowler, a great (imo greatest) captain and as a batsman, he is hardly below Lloyd.
Point accepted, but Headley being pushed up makes sense because he had the technique to do it and practically did is entire career. Take a look at how often at least one opener failed, way more often than any other great no. 3

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I was talking about Worrell, that I believe he used to open in his early career; not Sobers..... Sobers was a freak!! Even more than Don, he was just a freak!!! The bowling load, the fielding, the late night partying and still averaging 57 in a career spanning 2 decades....
I know, I'll remove the quote.

People don't realise how many overs he bowled in test and first class cricket.

Plus if he just gave half the ****s that the Don did, and bowled less, would have averaged in the 70's. We don't get how ****ing great he was, how his early stats ruined his overall numbers etc etc. I'll maintain greatest cricketer ever, but not worth the argument.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
This is underrated. Lots of these older cricketers would have been real cool to hang out with, unlike some of these modern ****s