• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is ODI status been given out too easily?

Is ODI status given out too easy?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bangladesh may soon deserve their ODI-status tag (as they've never looked like doing before - plenty of times they've come closer to deserving Test than ODI status) as they've shown the odd sign of getting better in the last year or so. But they still don't now. A ODI where Bangladesh avoid a thrashing is still in a tiny minority.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not just with the associate nations, but with "all-star teams", for lack of a better word.

Why the **** should Asian XI vs African XI be giving ****en ODI status. :@
Agree with this. I find it a lot more irritating than the associates who've qualified for the world cup having ODI status for the intervening four years between ICC Trophies.

I also find mildly irksome that counties aren't compelled to release their Irish/Scottish players for officially recognised ODIs. It's a no-brainer that developing counties with shallow player bases are going to struggle with 6 or 7 players unavailable. Not to mention England cherry-picking their best players anyway...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You could if you had an overarching and independent cricket body like NASCAR, and to an extent the AFL.

Craig

World Traveller
Agree with this. I find it a lot more irritating than the associates who've qualified for the world cup having ODI status for the intervening four years between ICC Trophies.

I also find mildly irksome that counties aren't compelled to release their Irish/Scottish players for officially recognised ODIs. It's a no-brainer that developing counties with shallow player bases are going to struggle with 6 or 7 players unavailable. Not to mention England cherry-picking their best players anyway...
Yeah it they should be made to, if not then said county should be fined as a result. The likes of Ed Joyce should be playing for Ireland anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You could if you had an overarching and independent cricket body like NASCAR, and to an extent the AFL.
Yeah, but cricket doesn't and never will. So there's little point in if-onlying, for mine.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Quite. Even FIFA & the IRB give the internationals precedent over the club game & club football is a infinitely bigger deal than domestic cricket.

I know multi-national governing bodies are in the business of compromise almost by definition, but if the ICC is really commited to growth why force promising associates to compete with the quote-unquote "proper" cricketing nations with one hand tied around their balls?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because they can't control every single decision ever taken by every single cricket body ever. Much as I'm sure some executives involved would like to.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
"ODI status" suggests something important and sacrosanct. ODIs are frankly not that important. For me, the real "status" that needs to be kept sacrosanct is Test match status - also first class cricket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Meh, I don't TBH. I think as long as the points and results count, it doesn't matter what the status of the games is. And PLEASE don't make football analogies - there is virtually no status system in football, classification of games is as good as non-existant. A game is a game and that's about it.

I'd imagine most Kenyan players would be rather more pleased to have reached a World Cup semi-final than to have ODI caps myself TBH.
Well that's not true, that's why I used the example I did of non-league players playing in the FA Cup. When John Aldridge's career goals totals are discussed (most ever by a British player btw :P) then his goals scored for South Liverpool don't count, and neither do those in friendlies, but all scored in league games and professional cup competitions, as well as internationals do.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There's no-one who can force counties to release players.
This has got me thinking - if the ICC (or whoever) brought in a rule that forced counties to release Ireland/Scotland players for ODIs, then would they have to be classed as overseas players?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
This has got me thinking - if the ICC (or whoever) brought in a rule that forced counties to release Ireland/Scotland players for ODIs, then would they have to be classed as overseas players?
Nup. EU passport rule.

Though with the restraint of trade being rescinded in the Kolpak case, it might be in this one too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How stupid of me, no you're right even if they restrict Kolpaks there is absolutely no way they could ever restrict the number of Irish/Scots, nevermind Dutch, Belgian, Portugese etc. Can't believe I asked that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well that's not true, that's why I used the example I did of non-league players playing in the FA Cup. When John Aldridge's career goals totals are discussed (most ever by a British player btw :P) then his goals scored for South Liverpool don't count, and neither do those in friendlies, but all scored in league games and professional cup competitions, as well as internationals do.
Nah. Meet Jimmy McGrory. :cool:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sorry, it's a post-war record then?
Could be. TBH I didn't know if Aldo had scored more or not, but my Uncle Mick is a mad Hoops fan & can remember him banging on about Jimmy scoring "a goal a game for twenty years" when I was a kid, so thought he must be close & wiki seems to agree, for what that's worth.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's domestic football though - and it's straightforward divisional, there's no case of "this team is worthy, this one isn't" sensible stuff - it's just a set number and every case which falls within this number is one thing, everything that falls outside is another.

Friendly-competetive is obviously another divide drawn in cricket, and, well, in pretty much everything that has a "friendly" game-form really.

Can't even remember off t'top of head what it is nowadays however.