• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is ODI status been given out too easily?

Is ODI status given out too easy?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"ODI status" suggests something important and sacrosanct. ODIs are frankly not that important. For me, the real "status" that needs to be kept sacrosanct is Test match status - also first class cricket.
If Tests are sacrosanct, so are ODIs IMO.

From your posts so far I'd guess I'm a different generation to you though. My lot are far more prone to take ODIs more seriously than the lot I'm suspecting you belong to.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If Tests are sacrosanct, so are ODIs IMO.

From your posts so far I'd guess I'm a different generation to you though. My lot are far more prone to take ODIs more seriously than the lot I'm suspecting you belong to.
I'm 34. I was brought up on a mixed diet of Tests, ODIs and various kinds of county cricket. I've always felt that Tests and first class cricket are on a completely different plane to one day cricket. Which is not to say that one dayers can't be fun and can't be good matches - they can - but as a general rule, and with a limit of 5 days, the longer the format the better as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect there isn't a massive generation gap - or indeed a huge difference in outlook - between us.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No difference in outlook as far as priority goes - I've always said that the First-Class game (at both international and domestic level) is far more "cricket" than one-day cricket (likewise at both levels) is and I've certainly always treated them as totally separate. But I tend to find that those who, in 2007, are around the 30 mark or over have more of a propensity to treat one-day cricket as far, far more fourth\fifth-class than those my age (I'm 22 as of this post for those who don't know) who tend to look upon them more as second-class.

I've always thought that top-level international status, at both First-Class and one-day level, is worthy of sacrosanction. If I could only give such sacrosantion to one of the two, I'd go for Tests, of course, but my ideal choice would and always has been both.

However, I in turn have always treated Twenty20 as fourth\fifth-class. I couldn't care less about it, and it honestly doesn't bother me who plays what, what's classified as what, who does well, or anything, in that form. It simply passes me by, I have no interest in it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Could be. TBH I didn't know if Aldo had scored more or not, but my Uncle Mick is a mad Hoops fan & can remember him banging on about Jimmy scoring "a goal a game for twenty years" when I was a kid, so thought he must be close & wiki seems to agree, for what that's worth.
Aldo scored 472 tbh, there was a big shenanigans once he hit 468 which gave him the record outright, so must have been post-war. Oh, and I was there when he scored number 468, natch :cool: