• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Kohli better than Ponting?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ffs Kohli. This is how stunk up your last test series vs au at home. Flashy cover drives. Carbon copy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think a big difference between the two is that blokes would walk over broken glass for Ponting, whereas everyone would walk over it to get away from Kohli

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a big difference between the two is that blokes would walk over broken glass for Ponting, whereas everyone would walk over it to get away from Kohli
Not sure about that mate. Evidence suggests the opposite

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
In answer to the question asked in thread title...……………………………………...NO!

JBMAC

State Captain
In answer to the question asked in thread title...……………………………………...NO!

Daemon

As the great man once said

Ricky Ponting is the best cricketer
He is one day and test cricketer

Who's better Ponting or Kohli?
Pontiing's better, bad is rest cricketer

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Why isn't this post formatted Kohli v. Ponting? Shut it down and start it afresh, properly

Top_Cat

Personally one measure is the difference in how the oppo speak about them in pressers. With Kohli, it's all "Obviously he's the best bat in the world and a threat, etc." whereas even when he was the clear number 1, Ponting was often barely mentioned. So scared were teams of giving him anything he could use.

flibbertyjibber

In fairness and actually giving a sensible reply here Kohli is probably the closest to Ponting we have had since Ponting retired, shame the banned bloke is banned as he was actually better than both which shows how good he was up until sandpapergate.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting prior to about 2009 was obscenely, terrifyingly good, and people forget that. That's all that I really have to offer on the topic tbh.

flibbertyjibber

Ponting prior to about 2009 was obscenely, terrifyingly good, and people forget that. That's all that I really have to offer on the topic tbh.
He was but Smith was at a higher level for me, with Ponting I felt you had a chance early to get him, with Smith I couldn't see how you would get him out unless it was his mistake.

Spark

Global Moderator
He was but Smith was at a higher level for me, with Ponting I felt you had a chance early to get him, with Smith I couldn't see how you would get him out unless it was his mistake.
Yeah Ponting was a very different player. Not as remorseless, but had a "get him before 20, or say goodbye to the game within the next two hours" feel to him.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
In fairness and actually giving a sensible reply here Kohli is probably the closest to Ponting we have had since Ponting retired, shame the banned bloke is banned as he was actually better than both which shows how good he was up until sandpapergate.
Well he'll be back very soon and no reason why he won't continue averaging 63. First test match will be against your lot too

Burner

International Regular
Kohli will end up as a better batsman imo. Some of the knocks that he's played in away tours this cycle will probably enhance in stature with time. Has been very difficult conditions for a batsman.