• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Jimmy Adams the only player to ever complete this rare treble of achievements?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In ODIs his bowling seemed super ineffective yeah those trash balls meant he was never going to be an economical bowler, but he took wickets at a sick rate in tests, strike rate of 44.

Chinaman is such a rare style that I guess he was so threatening just because of that - its the style batsman are least prepared to face as most dont have much experience against it. I assume lefties especially are super vulnerable to it.

he didn't need to be as accurate as Warne. MacGill bowled a trash ball an over too, obviously was 2x the bowler Bevan was but Bevan at least offered a ball spinning the other way to Warne so maybe that's where his value lied. (and as a wrist spinner he could get far more rip and turn than a finger spinner)

Outside of that 10/113 performance against the Windies he then took match figures of 6/96 and 3/26 in the following series against SA

If you consider his batting would have surely come good eventually then it'd be cool in an alternate universe if he was persisted with as an AR for longer. He did the majority of his test bowling in Australia and SA as well, never even got a proper chance as the second spinner in Asia

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably lucky that his Test career coincided with a weird patch of bowling form. And unlucky that he it coincided with a weird patch of bad batting form.

If he had a proper career would probably have averaged 50 with the bat and 40ish with the ball.

mr_mister

yeah youre probably bang-on but i like the idea of him somehow maintaining an average under 30 with the ball and averaging 50 with the bat too haha

his bowling was certainly really interesting to watch as Chinaman usually is

I found an interview of him on youtube from the early 2000s where he talks about how he wasn't taking his bowling seriously at all during that run in the test side but kept getting wickets. He was so focused on his batting form he didn't even consider he could have had a long term role as an AR. He said if he had his time in the test side again he would have worked harder on his bowling to make it a legitimate part of his game

i can no longer find the interview now though, or hardly any footage of his test bowling for that matter

Last edited:

mr_mister

After 12 tests he actually he had a batting average of 40 and a bowling average of 19 lol.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
i remember we had a long thread or discussion somewhere about the use of the term 'chinaman' but i can't remember what we decided as appropriate for the forum or whether people agreed to disagree

cnerd123

likes this
i remember we had a long thread or discussion somewhere about the use of the term 'chinaman' but i can't remember what we decided as appropriate for the forum or whether people agreed to disagree
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...hinaman-bowlers-can-they-make-test-level.html

I mentioned in this thread - all the actual ethnically Chinese cricketers that I have spoken to about this don't mind this term. At worst, they're indifferent. At best, they love it. But I don't know if they are aware of it's racist origin, although they do know about Ellis Achong (as evident by the annual Ellis Achong cup between two teams of ethnically chinese cricketers)

It would be interesting to see what happens if a ethnically Chinese left-arm wristspinner does start playing in our leagues. Nadeem Ahmed is half-chinese and a left arm spinner who played for HK - his instagram bio has the term #chinaman in it, so make of that what you will.

Wisden and Cricinfo have given up on using the term, driven by Andrew Wu's article about it.