Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left-arm Chinaman bowlers!!..can they make it at test level?

International Regular WindieWeathers's Avatar

Left-arm Chinaman bowlers!!..can they make it at test level?

Will one ever make it at test level and become a regular wicket taker in the current climate? seeing one on the international scene these days is extremely rare, we used to have the "tadpole" aka Dave Mohammed who played five tests back in the day but never had impressive figures, we also had Ellis Achong in the 1930s who was the "chinaman" they created the saying from, he never got many wickets either, then from other teams Bradd Hogg came and went, but Michael Bevan did alright i guess, i ask this question because in our t20 competition a young chap has emerged for CCC named Kristopher Ramsaran and he looks very decent indeed, only two games in mind but he's dazzling people like a young Narine at times!!, especially when he bowls the "googly" , but anyway in closing the question is can the "chinaman" style ever be productive at test level?
    One day world cup winners- Champions trophy winners- T20 world cup winners- 29 test series without defeat record- Highest run chase in test history record and some think we're minnows? :P

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    you need balls to make it as a wrist spinner at test level, and as we all know, lefties have no testies, so no, they can't
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Johnny Wardle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old Johnny Wardle didn't do so badly.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Katich used to send down a few too.

Got Vaughan with the rankest of full bungers in the 2005 Ashes, if memory serves.

As for Chinaman bowlers generally, I suppose a few factors mitigate against them: left-handed people are only 10% of the population, wrist spin is a hard trade to master and by doing so cack-handers are giving their natural advantage of having a stock ball that turns the away from right-handers, who still make up the majority of batsmen.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    Johnny Wardle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old Johnny Wardle didn't do so badly.
    Cheers, never knew about him, his wiki suggest he did bowl left-arm orthodox aswell though so one wonders how many wickets he got with just the "chinaman" delivery!! .

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    wrist spin is a hard trade to master and by doing so cack-handers are giving their natural advantage of having a stock ball that turns the away from right-handers, who still make up the majority of batsmen.
    Yeah I think this is the main factor. Why would you try and bowl wrist spin, a much harder art, to turn it into the batsmen, when you can bowl finger spin, a much easier style to achieve, to turn it away from the batsmen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    Cheers, never knew about him, his wiki suggest he did bowl left-arm orthodox aswell though so one wonders how many wickets he got with just the "chinaman" delivery!! .
    Most of his overseas would've come from Chinamen I eckon, the main reason for him not bowling them as much at home was misgivings from Yorkshire and the MCC about its effectiveness but it was definitely his preferred method of bowling.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Yeah I think this is the main factor. Why would you try and bowl wrist spin, a much harder art, to turn it into the batsmen, when you can bowl finger spin, a much easier style to achieve, to turn it away from the batsmen?
    Vic_O made a post last year, around the time Casson had to retire, saying that Casson really made it tough for himself, because left arm chinaman bowlers, when they drag it down, are usually dragging it down straight onto their leg stump (for the right hander) so, usually getting smacked over midwicket for six.

trying to find the exact post (or he can just post it again)

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    That didn't stop Murali against right handers though did it? his stock ball (offy) turned into the right handers but he was still a nightmare to deal with.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    That didn't stop Murali against right handers though did it? his stock ball (offy) turned into the right handers but he was still a nightmare to deal with.
    Well, that's true but I'd guess he has a better record against lefties than proper batsmen.

Especially if one excludes right handed Englishmen from his record.

Ironically, of course, the Pom who played him best was from the dark side: dear old Thorpey.

Well, that's true but I'd guess he has a better record against lefties than proper batsmen.

Ironically, of course, the Pom who played him best was from the dark side: dear old Thorpey.
    The new lad i was talking about has a googly which goes away from righ-handers, so it's gonna be interesting to see how he progresses in the next few years.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Yeah reckon having a good googly is more important for a chinaman than an orthodox leggie
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

International Coach

I'm not so sure about this. Lara of course played him better than anyone whilst being left-handed and Stephen Fleming springs to mind as not doing too badly as well. In fact, not that I've given it a great deal of consideration, I reckon if you were to list all the batsmen who had success against Murali (not that it'd be a particularly big list) the percentage of left-handers in that list would be higher than the overall percentage of left-handers in Test cricket.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Don't think you can use Murali as a counter-example here given what he could do with the ball; not yout common-or-garden offie, same way Ajmal isn't.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information