• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The answer to this problem can be solved by a very simple process.....

Is Dennis Lillee an atg bowler? I think for most the answer is yes.

Who do you rate better.....James Anderson or Matthew Hoggard? Surely that's a no brainer?
Hoggard.

Hoggard got smashed by Nathan Astle due to the fact it was one of the greatest innings of all time, while Anderson got smashed by George Bailey in what was the worst over of all time.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hoggard.

Hoggard got smashed by Nathan Astle due to the fact it was one of the greatest innings of all time, while Anderson got smashed by George Bailey in what was the worst over of all time.
Interesting take this.......seen many somewhat questionable reasons for marking Jimmy down.....but don't you think its a little harsh doing it over 1 over?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hoggard was very effective over the wicket against left-handers. IIRC caused Langer some problems at times

TheJediBrah

That's one thing that really holds him back. How does an "ATG" English bowler average 36 against Australia, their most important opposition who they play against the most. And half those games are in England with the Dukes where Aus batsmen are typically hopeless

Shady Slim

International Coach
That's one thing that really holds him back. How does an "ATG" English bowler average 36 against Australia, their most important opposition who they play against the most. And half those games are in England with the Dukes where Aus batsmen are typically hopeless
yessssss bingo

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Other stats to note re: Anderson.

Averages 34 in SA in 10 tests
Averages 33 in SL in 7 tests
Averages 30 in India in 17 tests

Records such as this + Australia aren’t typical amongst ATG bowlers - in fact they’d be blasted on here for it. His longevity somewhat compensates for this, but is it enough?

Idk I’m still not 100% sure, right on the cusp for me. If I did have him as an ATG he’s right at the bottom. If I didn’t, he’s right at the top of the next group. Unsure of whether to include him under ATG definition.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Records such as this + Australia aren’t typical amongst ATG bowlers - in fact they’d be blasted on here for it. His longevity somewhat compensates for this, but is it enough?

Idk I’m still not 100% sure, right on the cusp for me. If I did have him as an ATG he’s right at the bottom. If I didn’t, he’s right at the top of the next group. Unsure of whether to include him under ATG definition.
It's pretty damning tbh. As you play more games as an ATG you should be eliminating any "holes" in the record but not the case for him.

I won't bat an eye if people call him an ATG based on time and cumulative performance alone but you're crazy to pretend he's in the same league as the top echelon

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Averages 34 in Australia. 34!

T H IR T Y F O U R
H
I
R
T
Y
F
O
U
R

Junk.

And 36 vs Australia overall. Across 39 tests. You'd think he might have come good, but no! 36!

T H I R T Y S I X
O
T
A
L
L
Y
S
H
I
T

Ordinary.
Amongst the top 50 wicket takers in the Ashes, James Anderson has the worst bowling average.
An ATG not even in the top 50 best Ashes bowlers.
As my British buddy would say ..
"Are you having a laugh?"

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

If you break that down into his "peak" where he took 350 wickets @21.5 he takes 106 away wickets @ 25 including an average of 28 in Australia, 28 in India, 30 in SA and 22 in SL.

Lillee is considered an ATG by most and his entire career is 355 wickets @ 24, 124 wickets @24.5 away and unlike anderson he didn't have to play in SA (there's probably rebel tours you could use to get a grasp on how he would go over there, can't be bothered) or in the SC. Cummins gets thrown around as an atg on here, and his stats read 270 wickets @22.3, away stats of 113 wickets @26. Obviously you have to consider the rubbish either side of it his peak (pre 2014, post 2023) but he's got a 9 year span that is as good as alot of other ATG candidates entire career's.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant

Fwiw, Anderson is easily the best English pacer in India post Botham; and best pacer overall to play here in the last decade after Steyn (taking 2 series minimum).